Breeding death

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone encountered a breeding attempt where the male kills the female? I believe the male H.incei killed the female while I was at class. I just came home to find the female webbed up but not eaten. The male who was slightly smaller is on the other side of the enclosure.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nevermind! To my surprise shes alive! The position and webbing looked very much like a dead tarantula all wrapped up in a ball. Wow Im so surprised!

:wall::wall::wall::wall: @ my quick guess.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
It happens on occasion. If you run a search you will find threads asking the exact same question, there was actually one posted not too long ago.

Edit* Glad she's ok :)

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's unusual in a species that's supposed to be communal. Sometimes this species does kill and eat its own kind, though. Were they both well fed before you introduced them? How large a container were they in? (Were they too crowded for them to avoid/get away from each other if they "had issues"?) Did you introduce the make into the female's established home? I would have expected her to have an extensive web system into which she could retreat if she had to.

Edit: By the time I got this posted you had made your "live" discovery. Good luck. Maybe the webbing was just her safe retreat?

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I think it was her little "hideaway". It's all good so far though. Im just wondering if there was any insertion while I was at class. The male was stalking the female and they played the leg game while I was here.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IME its better to have a bigger male with a mature female because the male won't be that afraid to mate with the female.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I've heard several reports where the male has killed the female.

I'm glad that isn't what happened in this case. :)