Breeding Daring Jumping Spiders

Maue100

Arachnopeon
I have what I believe to be a male and female daring jumping spider and would like to mate them at some point. First off I'd like to ask does moving the male into the females cage or the female into the males cage have better results and since the area I live in is getting colder if they do lay an egg sack can i refrigerate it similar to a mantis ooth as a sort of overwintering period and let them hatch in spring?

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think it matters which one you introduce to the other, but you probably don't want to force the female to move around and agitate her--that might cause her to either want to run away from the male or attack him. I've introduced my male jumping spiders into the female's enclosures and not the other way around. As long as the female is actually a mature adult, things should go well. Just make sure the male has some way to escape if she isn't feeling receptive to his advances.

I don't believe eggs overwinter, but juveniles and subadults overwinter within webbing in sheltered areas. You could just keep them in room temperature, let them hatch, and take care of the many many babies. They'll feed on fruitflies after they emerge from the egg sac and start moving around. You can keep them together initially when they're unlikely to cannibalize and gradually separate out the ones that are feeding well and getting bigger than the rest.

Maue100

Arachnopeon
I don't think it matters which one you introduce to the other, but you probably don't want to force the female to move around and agitate her--that might cause her to either want to run away from the male or attack him. I've introduced my male jumping spiders into the female's enclosures and not the other way around. As long as the female is actually a mature adult, things should go well. Just make sure the male has some way to escape if she isn't feeling receptive to his advances.

I don't believe eggs overwinter, but juveniles and subadults overwinter within webbing in sheltered areas. You could just keep them in room temperature, let them hatch, and take care of the many many babies. They'll feed on fruitflies after they emerge from the egg sac and start moving around. You can keep them together initially when they're unlikely to cannibalize and gradually separate out the ones that are feeding well and getting bigger than the rest.
Alright, Maybe I'll wait a little bit then because I'm already going to be occupied enough with my mantis ooth that'll be hatching any day now.