Breeding attempt, should I even bother?

Moyzie

Arachnosquire
Can you imagine trying to pop your cherry and there is some giant with a pink tipped stick hovering over you!
pink tipped stick !! OMG - at school we called it a "purple headed mushroom"

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The female with it’s egg sac on 12th day now. The egg sac is being guarded, rolled, rotated by the female constantly. I was thinking to pull the egg sac on 14th day, but after I spoke (via text) with @Tarantuland, I decided to pull it on 21st day.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If she keeps caring for it like that, it is almost certainly viable. I don't know how many slings you could expect, but with this particular species, the more the merrier :)

Marlana

Arachnoknight
May I ask why 21 days? I was under the impression 28-30 is standard for the slower growing terrestrials. I would worry about pulling too early and not having mom to turn the sac. But you probably know way more than me so that’s why I’m asking 😅

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The female with it’s egg sac on 12th day now. The egg sac is being guarded, rolled, rotated by the female constantly. I was thinking to pull the egg sac on 14th day, but after I spoke (via text) with @Tarantuland, I decided to pull it on 21st day.
May I ask why 21 days? I was under the impression 28-30 is standard for the slower growing terrestrials. I would worry about pulling too early and not having mom to turn the sac. But you probably know way more than me so that’s why I’m asking 😅
I pull my eggs between day 21-28 but I pull most of my eggs are pulled on Day 21. How you keep your T.'s will vary on how fast your eggs develop as well. Not to mention species will vary in time of development. If temps and other factors are optimal, it does help on egg development in my experience. But I'm not saying to overdo it, but rather know what is ideal on egg care. I've had a sac just recently hatched at day 24 and the slings are running everywhere in the females enclosure.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I rather pull it early, for I do not want to wait too long, and let babies disperse to everywhere.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I rather pull it early, for I do not want to wait too long, and let babies disperse to everywhere.
I have no idea how fast eggs develop for H. chilense, but I would like to see what they look like at 21 days. Species do vary, so seeing what they look like will be interesting if pulled early. Also 14 days is too early, if eggs are pulled to early, they will be blobs and they will not be solid eggs. So make sure the eggs are not pulled to early as eggs pulled too early that are blobs are almost unsavable if exposed in most cases.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I pull my eggs between day 21-28 but I pull most of my eggs are pulled on Day 21. How you keep your T.'s will vary on how fast your eggs develop as well. Not to mention species will vary in time of development. If temps and other factors are optimal, it does help on egg development in my experience. But I'm not saying to overdo it, but rather know what is ideal on egg care. I've had a sac just recently hatched at day 24 and the slings are running everywhere in the females enclosure.
What sp was that fast?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What sp was that fast?
Chaetopelma olivaceum. It's on my breeding thread that I use as part of my credibility whenever I try to network with someone new. I posted a video about it as well. It's getting harder to prove tarantula breeder's without proper footage, so I recommend videos and a place where people can actually see my work so it doesn't get questioned.

My Breeding Credentials Thread:

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Interesting. I didn’t realize you could even pull the sac so early, like at 14 days. After doing much more research it does sound like a good idea to pull at 21 days. Leaves less time for mom to potentially eat it..etc. But also isn’t too early. Learned something new. I’m use to true spiders where I never pulled a sac 😅

Last edited:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It was interesting to sight this twice so far, that the female sometimes lost track of it’s egg sac’s whereabout.

It first let go of it’s egg sac, and starts to groom itself, strolls around while putting down webs on substrate. Then it loses the track of it’s egg sac.

So it literally keeps circling around it’s enclosure to find it’s egg sac, carefully, and slowly fumbles around while doing so.

As I bring the egg sac and place it nearby, then the female would first examine it then start to take care of it as usual.

AF9BB586-A5D2-48A0-91F0-7E400002A65C.jpeg

A1DF130D-41AD-47D0-8658-4AFFB3E0DB4C.jpeg

BE9A3F95-ED91-42F7-BDA9-E5081A918A40.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Update:

The female completely abandoned it’s egg sac on 15th day. It was no longer interested in it’s sac, and was not even coming near it for at least a day or so.

So I pulled the egg sac, opened it, and put all eggs into incubator. There were total 66 eggs.

77BD114E-43A3-46C5-864F-625364846AD9.jpeg

641777BD-195B-4505-9E37-F22CD5F48CF4.jpeg

2DA1156F-AE9D-4A4A-A264-7DDF85B9AD9A.jpeg

5 days after of incubating, which is today, I witnessed a couple of eggs turning into EWL.

18AED1F5-AD21-4B46-A698-030389F6AD16.jpeg

I say this is a success. I will update a couple of times more, then I will finalize it as ‘breeding report’.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
When (Today at 11:18 AM) I posted update earlier, 3 of them turned into EWL, but now (about 6 hours later) there are around 8 of them.

They are slowly, but surely turning into EWL. I am curious how many EWL I will end up with eventually.

61D63808-17E2-4FC1-8910-1C198360B515.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
When (Today at 11:18 AM) I posted update earlier, 3 of them turned into EWL, but now (about 6 hours later) there are around 8 of them.

They are slowly, but surely turning into EWL. I am curious how many EWL I will end up with eventually.

View attachment 426197
If you ever get slings. I'd suggest you just keep all of them to yourself for future breeding. If not, I'd suggest giving/selling them to someone who you can trust for future breeding (with real proof of experience). I would not recommend selling them away to inexperienced keepers or to inexperienced breeders. That's just my opinion, but you do you.