Breeding attempt, should I even bother?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I have two Homoeomma chilensis, that I have been keeping since May of 2019. I got both as slings from same importer / breeder, so they are highly likely a sac mate. It turned out, one is a female, the other is a male, recently matured male in fact.

Their molt dates are as followed:

Female​
Male​
Jul 13, 2019​
Jun 29, 2019​
Apr 24, 2020​
Aug 24, 2019​
Sep 18, 2020​
Oct 17, 2020​
Nov 2, 2021​
Oct 25, 2021​

The male is very busy refilling it’s pedipalps ever since it matured. That is very understandable.

9E287037-6616-421D-827C-EF8D034DA49F.jpeg

16CAECFB-F2F2-4CED-80ED-413F41A8DC1E.jpeg

Though on the other hand, I doubt the female is matured or even near it’s maturity. Both are very similar sized as you can see, but in my opinion, the male looks slightly larger. None of them seem to drumming as far as I can tell, unless they were drumming to each other behind my back secretly.

Top: female
Bottom: male

98305B0A-6710-442F-9070-25CFB2C59252.jpeg

In this case, should I even bother to breed attempt? For anyone out there with any insights, inputs, ideas, suggestions, advices, feel free to share. Thank you all in advance.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't usually say it's good to breed sac mates. But why not give it a shot since there is like no H. chilensis in existence in the US. So I'd say give it a shot, but that just me.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Surely there is a member here that just might have an adult female you could do a pairing with.

This is a tarantula we so desperately need available again in the U.S.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
How large is your female? A friends matured around 2.5” (spermatheca was sclerotized at that size).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with above sentiments..no on sacmates, but yes given there are none being imported..hate to say it but it's true.:sorry:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
With fingers crossed, I tried.

It was all too quick, 2:36 to be exact, start to end. I cut the waiting, and the male running away part. No sound due to lots of unnecessary background noise.

The female was somewhat aggressive toward to the male in my opinion. Maybe it was because it was not ready for it so it took hostile mode? I do not know. I was just so concerned of the male’s safety, so I was not quite sure if the insertion was even good enough or not. However, in the end, I managed to keep the male alive, phew.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon

It was all too quick, 2:36 to be exact, start to end. I cut the waiting, and the male running away part. No sound due to lots of unnecessary background noise.

The female was somewhat aggressive toward to the male in my opinion. Maybe it was because it was not ready for it so it took hostile mode? I do not know. I was just so concerned of the male’s safety, so I was not quite sure if the insertion was even good enough or not. However, in the end, I managed to keep the male alive, phew.

As someone who attempted breeding this species quite a few times with two different males, I have noticed the males are quite bold resulting in the females retaliating in response. They are a pain to breed I gave up after two years of trying and failing.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

OMG....that video had me extremely tense....rooting for the male

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Approximately nine hours after short pairing:

The male is calmed down a bit. It is no longer wandering around like it used to. It is rather staying chill at just one spot.

The female on the other hand, it is very busy continuously grooming itself. It is cleaning it’s legs, one by one, slowly, and carefully, then it’s abdomen, and it’s spinnerets as well. I do not know it’s because of the pairing it did or it is just randomly doing it.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Can you imagine trying to pop your cherry and there is some giant with a pink tipped stick hovering over you!

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Approximately nine hours after short pairing:

The male is calmed down a bit. It is no longer wandering around like it used to. It is rather staying chill at just one spot.

The female on the other hand, it is very busy continuously grooming itself. It is cleaning it’s legs, one by one, slowly, and carefully, then it’s abdomen, and it’s spinnerets as well. I do not know it’s because of the pairing it did or it is just randomly doing it.
I would say it was indeed because of the pairing. MM will groom pedipalps quite a bit too. T's are clean things.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
@viper69, your girl has to be getting close to maturity and here's a potential suitor lol. Surprised you haven't thrown your hat into the ring. Molt cycles not lined up?

@BoyFromLA, you might want to reach out to @Marlana. She has an interest in breeding these and has gathered a bit of first hand knowledge from the successful attempts of others. I'm sure if you ask nicely, she'll be more than happy to share.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69, your girl has to be getting close to maturity and here's a potential suitor lol. Surprised you haven't thrown your hat into the ring. Molt cycles not lined up?

@BoyFromLA, you might want to reach out to @Marlana. She has an interest in breeding these and has gathered a bit of first hand knowledge from the successful attempts of others. I'm sure if you ask nicely, she'll be more than happy to share.
Not even close to maturity it’s sitting on a molt for over a year

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Not even close to maturity it’s sitting on a molt for over a year
Dang, what's her DLS measurement? I remember the last time I asked about 1-2 years ago when a MM popped up for sale and she was still immature. I guess glacial just begins to describe their growth rate.....

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel

Looked like a insertion from what I saw. The female tensed up around 1:35. Hope for the best.