Breeding and eggs millipede questions

Duriana

Arachnoknight
alright so I have it some newb questions about milliped breeding and eggs. Two of my Oxidus Gracilis mated yesterday so here are some questions:

1. How long does it take from the point of breeding to the female creating the eggsac?
2. Does the male die after mating?
3. How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?
4. Does anyone know how tiny hatchlings of O. Gracilis are?

Any help is appreciated.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I'm not very familiar with flat millipedes. I believe millipedes can lay eggs pretty quickly after breeding. I've never known of a male millipede to die after mating. (I've heard of females dying after egg laying). Some of the larger millipedes take up to a month for eggs to hatch. I would guess for smaller species it would be less time. The smallest babies I have seen are just a little bigger than a mustard seed. Very tiny! Hope this helps a little bit until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
I'm not very familiar with flat millipedes. I believe millipedes can lay eggs pretty quickly after breeding. I've never known of a male millipede to die after mating. (I've heard of females dying after egg laying). Some of the larger millipedes take up to a month for eggs to hatch. I would guess for smaller species it would be less time. The smallest babies I have seen are just a little bigger than a mustard seed. Very tiny! Hope this helps a little bit until someone more knowledgeable comes along.
Thanks for the help. Can the babies climb plastic? My adults seem like they can't but I'm wondering if I need to lay the substrate outside now or once I see the babies.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the help. Can the babies climb plastic? My adults seem like they can't but I'm wondering if I need to lay the substrate outside now or once I see the babies.
I'm not sure what you mean, "if I need to lay the substrate outside". I've never seen millipedes climb plastic, unless there is a little substrate (or something else adding texture) to the sides.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure what you mean, "if I need to lay the substrate outside". I've never seen millipedes climb plastic, unless there is a little substrate (or something else adding texture) to the sides.
Ah sorry should of made myself clearer. I was planning to put the substrate outside to let the babies go, but if they won't climb the sides of the enclosure and get to the air holes, then I might just wait until I actually see them to release them.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Ah sorry should of made myself clearer. I was planning to put the substrate outside to let the babies go, but if they won't climb the sides of the enclosure and get to the air holes, then I might just wait until I actually see them to release them.
Gotcha! It would be fun to watch them for a while before you let them go.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
alright so I have it some newb questions about milliped breeding and eggs. Two of my Oxidus Gracilis mated yesterday so here are some questions:

1. How long does it take from the point of breeding to the female creating the eggsac?
2. Does the male die after mating?
3. How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?
4. Does anyone know how tiny hatchlings of O. Gracilis are?

Any help is appreciated.
When I had some Oxidus gracilis, I believe it was a matter of weeks for pedelings to appear (small, like springtails). I never dig through my millipede substrates (except when replacing it) as I don't want to disturb eggs, molting millipedes, etc. I do believe the males die after mating.

Pedelings cannot climb plastic unless the surface is quite dirty or otherwise provides footholds. Any attempting such would likely die of desiccation.

You should not have a problem with these -- enjoy! :)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
When I had some Oxidus gracilis, I believe it was a matter of weeks for pedelings to appear (small, like springtails). I never dig through my millipede substrates (except when replacing it) as I don't want to disturb eggs, molting millipedes, etc. I do believe the males die after mating.

Pedelings cannot climb plastic unless the surface is quite dirty or otherwise provides footholds. Any attempting such would likely die of desiccation.

You should not have a problem with these -- enjoy! :)
Do other flat millipede males die after mating? Do some females die after laying eggs?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Do other flat millipede males die after mating? Do some females die after laying eggs?
I don't believe that is known, unfortunately, but it probably varies within the order. I do feel confident in saying that Euryurid males do not die after mating. I had a pair of Harpaphe and a pair of Sigmoria and with both I saw mating and the male died many months before the female but this could be chance or the females may be hardier.

I think with Oxidus gracilis, both sexes may die after reproducing but I am not certain of that. From both my own observations and communications, I believe that some Polydesmida do not live more than a year after maturing (if that). Euryurids are not terribly long-lived but both sexes are quite busy in the time that they have. ;)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I don't believe that is known, unfortunately, but it probably varies within the order. I do feel confident in saying that Euryurid males do not die after mating. I had a pair of Harpaphe and a pair of Sigmoria and with both I saw mating and the male died many months before the female but this could be chance or the females may be hardier.

I think with Oxidus gracilis, both sexes may die after reproducing but I am not certain of that. From both my own observations and communications, I believe that some Polydesmida do not live more than a year after maturing (if that). Euryurids are not terribly long-lived but both sexes are quite busy in the time that they have. ;)
Thanks! It's so hard to find info on these.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
Also since they mated I've only seen one. I haven't been able to gender ID that one though