Breeding Amblypygi: Phrynus Whitei

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Hey there all,

I've got a small breeding group of Phrynus Whitei (the variant with the white "eyespots") and am finding them very...mean.
I know it's important to keep an eye out for any signs of aggression when you first introduce the animals, but they seem to be rampant. Even if initially they seem decent, they start charging one other after a little bit. It makes me worried to leave them so the magic happens.

I was wondering if anyone had best practice - enclosure size, the amount of hides, if this is just what Whitei does etc. They're well fed with all environmental parameters met. How can I make my Whitei not want to constantly kill eachother?
I've read Mcmonigle's book but it doesn't really focus on any Phrynus except Barbadensis.

Thanks for any help!

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
Hey there all,

I've got a small breeding group of Phrynus Whitei (the variant with the white "eyespots") and am finding them very...mean.
I know it's important to keep an eye out for any signs of aggression when you first introduce the animals, but they seem to be rampant. Even if initially they seem decent, they start charging one other after a little bit. It makes me worried to leave them so the magic happens.

I was wondering if anyone had best practice - enclosure size, the amount of hides, if this is just what Whitei does etc. They're well fed with all environmental parameters met. How can I make my Whitei not want to constantly kill eachother?
I've read Mcmonigle's book but it doesn't really focus on any Phrynus except Barbadensis.

Thanks for any help!
Ok I had some violent phrynus whitei that I'm currently pairing as well. For enclosure- make sure its large enough so that an individual has the space to run away, if ever involved in a fight. For the individuals, if the male is too "fat" they are more hesitant to mate, and if they are nearing a molt then they also wouldn't mate. And you might just want to make sure if you have a male-female pair, because this species is difficult to sex. (I made that problem and had two females fighting each other for a week).

Last edited:

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Ok I had some violent phrynus whitei that I'm currently pairing as well. For enclosure- make sure its large enough so that an individual has the space to run away, if ever involved in a fight. For the individuals, if the male is too "fat" they are less hesitant to mate, and if they are nearing a molt then they also wouldn't mate. And you might just want to make sure if you have a male-female pair, because this species is difficult to sex. (I made that problem and had two females fighting each other for a week).
Did you ever successfully pair? How big was your enclosure? Thanks for the insight!

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
Did you ever successfully pair? How big was your enclosure? Thanks for the insight!
Oh just to clarify if they are fat they won’t mate i miswrote. I’ve put them together for 5 days now, and I see less fighting and more calm interactions. I have two breeding pairs and one of them has produced an untaken spermatophore. And just to add, this species doesn’t mate on styrofoam so you would be better off using cork

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
My enclosure is 12*6*4 but I’m breeding smaller individuals.
Perfect, me as well! I believe I have the same terrarium. These guys are MEAN.
I find that the Nicaraguan Whitei are pretty dimorphic, with the males looking "lankier" and pedipalp difference. Do you find the same? I mean the "white eye" ones!

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
Perfect, me as well! I believe I have the same terrarium. These guys are MEAN.
I find that the Nicaraguan Whitei are pretty dimorphic, with the males looking "lankier" and pedipalp difference. Do you find the same? I mean the "white eye" ones!
Its not that evident, but they do look slightly different

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Have the individuals both molted relatively recently? Have you sexed them via genital operculum, or are you just going off of outward appearance?

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight
Have the individuals both molted relatively recently? Have you sexed them via genital operculum, or are you just going off of outward appearance?
Both!

And yep, both have molted. The females a couple week before the males. Well fed, well watered, well everything. At first I chalked it up to not having a big enough enclosure to breed, but it seems that female Whitei are just spicy little beasts.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Both!

And yep, both have molted. The females a couple week before the males. Well fed, well watered, well everything. At first I chalked it up to not having a big enough enclosure to breed, but it seems that female Whitei are just spicy little beasts.
Ah okay. I would make sure both are very well fed and maybe give them a 1-2 week break to see if that changes things up. Daily encounters may be stressful.