Breeders

emitellall

Arachnopeon
I don't have the time or desire to start breeding tarantulas right now, but I'm entertaining the idea for the (distant) future.

Since we all know it's not about the money, I wanna hear what inspired some of you to breed tarantulas and perhaps what species you started with?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am not a breeder yet. But I am buying multiple slings quite often to insure I have at least one female. I suppose male's will also come with this so am still trying to decide if I will breed at all and how much. In all likelihood it may take too much time when combined with my full time job so I will probably work with others who are breeders.

The main motivation for me in breeding or supporting others who do breed is to help support the hobby. It seems like regulations, laws, and general lack of care and understanding by the majority of the world motivates me want to help keep these T's available for everyone who does care about them. But we need more people to gain a valid interest in them here in the USA to make the system work better.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Well im not a breeder im just a hobbyist but i am inspired to breed ts because theres not enough captive breeding in the US. I have begun working on a project and I've chosen a difficult sp. The chromatopelma cyanopubescense or green bottle blue and im already out a male and onto another one. I dont recomend this sp. for your first pairing. Personally i like challenges and that is why i didnt go with an easier pairing like brachypelma. Im breeding for the experience of breeding and also to trade slings with other local hobbyists. This is of course a hobby and always will be. Whether or not some people are able to profit from their hobby is on them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just felt like it was the logical next step in the hobby, for me at least. I had a few rare(ish) adult females, and the opportunities presented themselves.

I also just really, really want the experience of it all! I've got a few gravid spiders right now, although I've yet to deal with any eggs. So, fingers crossed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am breeding my favourite species to preserve their place in the hobby. Especially African species, what with Africa having closed their borders to arachnid exporting.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but I'm already thinking about when I'll be able to start breeding. The number one motivation behind it for me is preserving species that are becoming endangered in their natural habitats. Since I don't have any way of effectively fighting deforestation, I want to help preserve the legacy of all these beautiful and unique animals the only way I can. But everybody has to start somewhere, so I'm thinking I will start out with either an Avic or Psalmo when I finally do begin breeding.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Actually, it partially is about the money for me. Breeding means the animals pay for themselves and if I make some extra, even better. I'd love for my animals to be my only job.

The experience is... stressful, and can be costly and time consuming. You have to buy substrate, vials or condiment cups, and potentially thousands of tiny feeders. You have to poke/burn holes in all those vials/cups. Imagine doing that 2,000 times. You have to find buyers for all the slings. If it's a common species, like L. parahybana, you could end up losing money. So I don't really understand that angle of it. There's a lot to go wrong and a lot to do sometimes.

I don't know that the US will play any large role in preserving endangered/rare species given how hard it is to get them over here unless you are an actual biologist working specifically on breeding endangered species. Yes, you have to prove it.

If it wouldn't cost me thousands, I'd import so that I could breed rarer stuff, but I'm not made of money.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Prior the pretty dumb and stupid arachnid ban of 2003 happened in Italy I was into breeding/invertsonal <-- ??? dafaq that term, btw.

Anyway mostly for fun and for trade with locals that owned, in a no Internet era, exotic shops - aka weirdo in Italy - or other keepers. We breed C.cyaneopubescens (with a good three 1.0 soldiers munched, ah ah) E.murinus, H.gigas.

After 2003, nope. IMO things, while better, are still not 'good enough' and I haven't anymore such time for. The 24 pedelings of Scolopendra subspinipes that I have packed and shipped a week ago signed the word 'end' to my activities on that sense. Keeper only :-s

cold blood

Staff member
I breed for multiple reasons.

1. Its a logical step eventually, and a real learning experience on a completely different level than just standard hobby keeping, for those who get into hobbies a little more intensely, its just too fascinating of a step to pass up.

2. The hobby is reliant on captive born and bred spiders. All those species that are too expensive for many, can become common and reasonable, but ONLY if people are breeding them...more breeders, the better prices are for everyone. The hobby needs, and will always need more breeders. Without them, the hobby crumbles. As borders close and wild caught spiders become the exception rather than the rule they once were. Its all about captive breeding, for the good of every person interested in keeping a tarantula.

3. It does help take a hobby that costs money and turn it into something that pays for its upkeep and expansion. Now getting rich can't be your motivation, but a little supplemental income can be a reality. But selling, and trading with other breeders is a great low cost way to have a large collection. I have over 300, and my cost output is probably [a lot] less than half the output of the average hobbyist buying one at a time and keeping just 20 or so ts. Buying in bulk is the first step to this independence, breeding is the ultimate step IMO.

4. Its my way to be able to give back to the hobby instead of just taking and taking (buying). I like being able to give species to friends and give great deals to people that, like me, didn't have the cash output for a lot of species, but have the passion that's so good for the hobby.

emitellall

Arachnopeon
Wow so many awesome responses! Thanks everyone!

I guess I should have said it wasn't ALL about the money. I sent my second MM off to be bred last weekend and the gentleman who took him(owns a brick and mortar store in Austin) said I could either have my cut of the babies or trade them in for store credit :D, so I definitely see the financial benefit potential.

I think for me it'll be mostly the experience. I've gotten most of my tarantulas as spiderlings, so to raise them and eventually watch them have babies will be really satisfying and beautiful. That combined with the ability to share and trade and (maybe) sell some babies will ultimately be the reason I breed a species or two.

Again thanks for all the responses. As a long time lurker it's nice to finally participate in a discussion :happy: