Breeders info needed

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never had this happen. The heater went out when I was at work, temps went down to 46.....
Are the three sacs I have toast? I re tripped the breaker and have the heater cranked trying to get the temps back up, but this old house sucks up heat so its going to be a while.......
:8o This could be a bad outcome, has anyone ever had this happen with a good outcome?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Temperature shock is a serious problem. I've not had this happen before though, so I can't say it won't come out.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I figured as much, one female is ignoring her sac all together at the moment.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my guess is they are not going to make it, but im not a breeder. Just curious you do mean fareinheit correct? Im not good at converting but im pretty sure 46 centigrade would be very high. Though your in Canada so im not sure what the common unit of measurement is for you to use anyway.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my guess is they are not going to make it, but im not a breeder. Just curious you do mean fareinheit correct? Im not good at converting but im pretty sure 46 centigrade would be very high. Though your in Canada so im not sure what the common unit of measurement is for you to use anyway.
Yes farenheit, went from 79 to 46 through the course of the day. My only saving grace might be them being a desert species..... maybe (fingers crossed)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
usually, too high temps are worse than too low temps, but it also depends on what the females do. if that one female continues ignoring her sac, you should pull it within a few hours and try to incubate it. otherwise, the eggs will stick together and die quite quickly.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well some positive news, I had some breeders tell me to pull the sac and try and incubate it alone. I made the decision to wait overnight to see if the female would go back to tending to her sac, I woke up this morning and she was back to normal sac in hand rotating away, :p I think I dodged a bullet this time. Now I have the heaters on a backup system as well so that even if my girlfriends hairdryer trips a circut again and kills the power I should still be ok. 3 more weeks till I pull the sac, that will put it at 36 days.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well some positive news, I had some breeders tell me to pull the sac and try and incubate it alone. I made the decision to wait overnight to see if the female would go back to tending to her sac, I woke up this morning and she was back to normal sac in hand rotating away, :p I think I dodged a bullet this time. Now I have the heaters on a backup system as well so that even if my girlfriends hairdryer trips a circut again and kills the power I should still be ok. 3 more weeks till I pull the sac, that will put it at 36 days.
When a Female T has a sac what exactly does she have to do it, to keep it "healthy" ( for a lackof a better word) why does she have to rotate it ? what does that do?:?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She rotates the sac for the first few weeks. She does this for a few reasons. One when they lay the eggs its in a big yokey mess, that mess is the sperm from the male and other proteins, in the begenning the rotation is very important because this allows the eggs to absorb all that stuff. But the main reason she rotates is if left alone the eggs will just stick together in one big mass. They wont be able to molt stuck together like that. Mabye the outer ones would make it but the ones in the middle would die most likely.

Humidity and temps plays a factor to, she rotates them to keep them aired out and controls the temp of the sac by moving it in and out of her burrow. If it gets to moist in the sac and an egg rots, that rot will spread very fast and most likey kill the remaining eggs.

Those are the only reasons that I am aware of, there might be a few more.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She rotates the sac for the first few weeks. She does this for a few reasons. One when they lay the eggs its in a big yokey mess, that mess is the sperm from the male and other proteins, in the begenning the rotation is very important because this allows the eggs to absorb all that stuff. But the main reason she rotates is if left alone the eggs will just stick together in one big mass. They wont be able to molt stuck together like that. Mabye the outer ones would make it but the ones in the middle would die most likely.

Humidity and temps plays a factor to, she rotates them to keep them aired out and controls the temp of the sac by moving it in and out of her burrow. If it gets to moist in the sac and an egg rots, that rot will spread very fast and most likey kill the remaining eggs.

Those are the only reasons that I am aware of, there might be a few more.

can people rotate the eggs them self? or do the Tarantulas rotate the eggs at a certain speed only they can do it?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
can people rotate the eggs them self? or do the Tarantulas rotate the eggs at a certain speed only they can do it?
Do a search for Mechanical Mom. Thats an artificial way to rotate the eggs. I am sure there are several threads here somewhere that will give you hours and hours of reading and even more Qs to ask ;)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like he just metioned. Mechanical moms can be built so the sac can be taken a bit early and rotated manually. I personally have never used one yet. I was tempted to this time with my smithi, but shes being a great mom and I dont think I have to worry about her eating the sac. My other smithi that just laid on the other hand has eaten the last 3 sacs she has had, so I am working on making a mechanical mom myself and Ill take that sac after a week or so and try and do it on my own.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like he just metioned. Mechanical moms can be built so the sac can be taken a bit early and rotated manually. I personally have never used one yet. I was tempted to this time with my smithi, but shes being a great mom and I dont think I have to worry about her eating the sac. My other smithi that just laid on the other hand has eaten the last 3 sacs she has had, so I am working on making a mechanical mom myself and Ill take that sac after a week or so and try and do it on my own.
Would it be safe to just put the sac in with the good mother making her a step mother?..like take her sac out and replace it with that one and see if she will rotate it?..or maybe give her two sacs at a time?

or would this stress her out and she'll end up eatin both sacs?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
PHP:
Would it be safe to just put the sac in  with the good mother making her a  step mother?..[/QUOTE]

Oh no not at all safe. Each T has their own scent. If you put a sac from one mom into a container with a different T, its going to be one big meal. It will most likely get eaten or ignored. This applys to both questions you are asking.

As for the stress question, I think she would just react, not really out of stress but out of defense. If she had a sac and you added another I am pretty sure shed eat both. Or ignore both.
But then again I dont know of anyone that has tried using another T as a replacement mother. I doubt it.

[QUOTE]like take her sac out and replace it with that one and see if she will rotate it?..or maybe give her two sacs at a time?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]or would this stress her out and she'll end up eatin both sacs?[/QUOTE]