Breeder beginner

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm going to try my hand at breeding to get great at it and eventually start sellings Ts.

I'm getting into selling Ts as a side gig, for the experience and for love of the hobby not the money.

And I know the stories about viable sacs, they're a lot of work and time consuming so what I'll do is let a few eat the others, freeze some and sell the rest.

Below are the pairs I can afford right now and the questions I have for each species

Hysterocrates laticeps

Lasiodora parahybana

Pamphobeteus sp. "Flammifera"

Pamphobeteus sp. "Machala

Sericopelma rubronitens

Xenesthis immanis

Theraphosinaesp. "Peru"

Tapinauchenius cupreus

Sericopelma sp. "Chiriqui, Panama"

Sericopelma rubronitens

Pamphobeteussp. "Machala"

Questions:

When it comes to putting males in the female's tank the only "ready to go sign I need is the male's sperm web correct?

Sac size for each one

Which ones are well known male killers

Can i leave the sacs inside and let mom take care of them ?

Since none of these are adult pairs, how often do I feed the male of which ever species I acquire? ( the females I should feed heavily /more correct?)

Which species listed if any, make hammock sacs and which ones make regular ones

If Im not sure if an insertion was made is there a way to tell by looking at the underside of a female T?

Egg gestation for each species

Out of the Ts listed which one does the hobby need the most of?

Any of these species easier to get a sac from than the others?

( I am keeping in mind the fact that no viable egg sacs will be guaranteed from any species listed above)

Things I know:

The male needs to be put into the female enclosure.

The male doesn't need to/shouldn't stay in there overnight

As long as there are a few good insertions they don't need to be put together more than once

Make sure the female has already molted and make sure she's well fed before the meeting.

**side note**: NONE of these are adult pairs so I still have a lot of time to ask questions/learn.
All help/info/advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And I know the stories about viable sacs, they're a lot of work and time consuming so what I'll do is let a few eat the others, freeze some and sell the rest.
Why would you let them cannibalize each other? And why on earth would you freeze any of them? What are you even talking about?

Also, man, you can find answers to most of your questions by just searching the forums. People are very willing to help on here, but they're not going to spoon feed you every aspect of mating each species.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Why would you let them cannibalize each other? And why on earth would you freeze any of them? What are you even talking about?.
because he doesnt want to put in the time and effort to care for the spiders apparently. he means he wants most of the sac to die off so theres less work to be done.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
because he doesnt want to put in the time and effort to care for the spiders apparently. he means he wants most of the sac to die off so theres less work to be done.
If that's correct then I wonder why he wants to breed. Someday I know I'll try to get into breeding but I couldn't imagine just letting some die or freezing them, that's literally wasted profit, why not use it even if you're just breeding your own lines

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If that's correct then I wonder why he wants to breed. Someday I know I'll try to get into breeding but I couldn't imagine just letting some die or freezing them, that's literally wasted profit, why not use it even if you're just breeding your own lines
for the love of the hobby he says.. i know you get a lot of slings out of one sac and some will die off anyway, but actually killing them because you dont have the time seems wrong to me. every serious hobbyists goal should be to breed their spiders and help make a future for the hobby but i think this guys going about it the wrong way.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Why would you let them cannibalize each other? And why on earth would you freeze any of them? What are you even talking about?

Also, man, you can find answers to most of your questions by just searching the forums. People are very willing to help on here, but they're not going to spoon feed you every aspect of mating each species.
Because big sacs are very hard to care for and if they don't sell you cant just let them go out in the wild.

So they have to be at what I'd consider a manageable size

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Please don't kill any spiders. If you don't want to deal with a lot of them you can just send some to me :) haha but anyways I think out of the list, any pamphobeteus would be a good idea because I believe we need more slings in this hobby. I can't seem to find any cheap pamphobeteus slings around.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
No

If you're only doing this for profit youre.in.the wrong business

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Because big sacs are very hard to care for and if they don't sell you cant just let them go out in the wild.

So they have to be at what I'd consider a manageable size
So let me get this straight.

You have a love for this hobby. You love this hobby so much that you want to breed spiders that you acknowledge have large sacs, which you have no time/intentions of caring for. To accommodate for this, you are going to intentionally kill off spiders, which are the heart of the hobby you love. Selfishness, narcissism, shortsightedness, and a twisted definition of "love" all in a single post. Impressive.

No

No, you're in the wrong business if you believe sending slings out to slaughter simply because you can't care for them (after forcing the creation of a sac) is an acceptable thing to do.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
And also what are other ideas y'all have for the overload of Ts?

I'm not just going to give any way sorry @Andy00 lol..

Again I made this thread to get help so give advice on other options besides what I did.... That's why this thread says beginner...I made this to avoid mistakes, and etc so help if you.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So let me get this straight.

You have a love for this hobby. You love this hobby so much that you want to breed spiders that you acknowledge have large sacs, which you have no time/intentions of caring for. To accommodate for this, you are going to intentionally kill off spiders, which are the heart of the hobby you love. Selfishness, narcissism, shortsightedness, and a twisted definition of "love" all in a single post. Impressive.

No, you're in the wrong business if you believe sending slings out to slaughter simply because you can't care for them (after forcing the creation of a sac) is an acceptable thing to do.
If you aren't going to help don't respond I'm not here to argue smh

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you aren't going to help don't respond I'm not here to argue smh
Good luck getting anyone to help. You have made it very clear that you have full intentions of killing spiders until they are what you'd "consider a manageable size" on a board dedicated to the welfare of these creatures. How did you think this was going to play out?

Oh, but putting them in the freezer is acceptable. Right.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The first question you should be asking is "What species is under represented in the hobby and has a high demand?". Next question should be "Out of those species, which would be the best for a beginner to start breeding?". You are going to end up with only one or two species instead of a list as long as your arm. Then, you should spend your time, and the time of others who are prepared to help you, on a couple of specific species only.
I have to agree with what has already been said. If you are breeding indiscriminately with the outcome already in your mind of killing off a myriad of unwanted spiderlings - then you shouldn't be breeding them at all.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
No

Forgive me, but where did I say I'm only in it for profit? I'm fascinated by these animals, more and more each day. I simply said killing off spiders aside from the ethical issues is literally destroying profit out of your pocket. Is it wrong to get something out of the great care you give your T and slings? That's just a reward for being a good keeper

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Oookay, I'll bite.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't kill spiderlings because you can't handle the numbers. I suggest selling them wholesale at 2nd instar. Feed them all once (that can be a chore, but do it) then send them off to a retailer. Presto. No spiders murdered for convenience, you get to breed and you get paid. You might have to sell them extremely cheap, so don't set your expectations too high, but there's your solution/alternative to the freezer question.

I have some concerns about the species you listed. As I read your post, you don't have those spiders yet but those are the pairs available that you can afford. Am I correct in my interpretation? If so, I suggest you wait for other species. Of the ones listed, the only ones I might sort of feel okay about you trying would be Hysterocrates laticeps and Tapinauchenius cupreus. The reasons I steer you away from the others is that they either have extremely large sacs (LP) and relatively low demand, which might lead you back to the freezer, or they're difficult to breed and relatively rare. Even if you can afford them, they're not something a novice breeder should buy. Pamphos, for example, are in demand, yes, but they're not easy to breed and the genus is something of a mess. Leave them to intermediate to advanced breeders or you'll just end up frustrated and breedable specimens will be wasted. See what I'm saying?

I'd suggest you try with something like the more common baboons, Avics, Psalms or Poecs, assuming you're comfortable with OW species. They're all relatively easy to breed and in demand, so you should be able to sell the slings wholesale. Maybe get some Avicularia versicolor. They're always in demand and not too tough to breed. Once you get comfortable breeding Psalms or Avics or whatever, move on to something a little more difficult. Something else to keep in mind is that it can be hard to sell less common species, even if you see them listed for high prices.

For your breeding question, yes, the male needs to have made a sperm web and it's best that the female is freshly molted. I often don't observe the male with a sperm web, so just wait a few weeks after he matures and you can be pretty sure he's made one.

As far as finding "sac size for each one," you're on your own. I'm not going through all that. I will tell you that LPs top 1000 regularly. You shouldn't breed most of them, anyway.

Many people let mom tend the sac for at least a month. Some don't, and pull right away. Usually the eggs will be EWLs around a month in, but the temperature determines the speed to some extent. Warmer sacs will develop faster. Some let the slings hatch with mom. What I do depends on the species as well as the history of the individual mom. Baboons tend to make hammock sacs. The others typically don't. You can sometimes tell if an insertion was made by looking at the female's furrow. Sometimes it looks sort of open and distended and... well, full. Feed at a rate that will have your male mature when an adult female is freshly molted. Adjust feeding as needed. I can't give you a schedule telling you "feed every Tuesday" or something...

There are different approaches to breeding. For most you want to observe the pairing and be on hand to rescue your male at the end. For others (lookin' at you, Poecs) leave them together overnight for one night. One insertion is all it takes (you don't even need "a few" at once), and some studies have indicated that males prefer virgin females. Some breeders pair them repeatedly thinking that more stored sperm is better and some let them cohabitate for a while. Usually those methods will eventually lead to a dead male. You make the call there. I've done both depending on how confident I am about the insertion and the species in question.

Again, I'd suggest different species. Pick out the species that you want to start with, and then find the spiders. Don't just look for something being sold as a pair currently and grab it just because that's what you see right now.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Go buy a pair of Society Finches . They readily breed in captivity , only have one or two babies at a time and best of all the parents do all the work . Then can use your freezer for Stouffers and Tombstone pizzas .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Jones0911 I am curious, if you had 1,000 spiderlings in a sac (Lps produce sacs larger than 1,000), and you would kill off a bunch, why wouldn't you give the ones you would kill away to people who are capable and interested in Ts? Isn't that a good thing, to give back to the hobby? Those people can pay for shipping of course.

What's the reason for not giving them away, laziness, greed or something else...?

There are plenty of people who have the philosophy of "if I can't benefit from it, than no one can". Is that what's going on?

Just curious, never heard someone write that before about Ts they didn't want.