Breed OR remove leg???

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My female OBT molted about 6 days ago. She molt back with a bum regenerated leg. About 1/3 - 1/2 fell off on its own and the rest of it has hardened with it flipped up over her back. i have a just molted MM OBT coming tomorrow. My female is still recovering from her molt and i was planning on waiting to breed her until she is fully recovered and fattened up again.

My delimma... i want to take advantage of a freshly molted MM. Should i breed my girl first and then remove the leg later? After hopeful egg sack?

OR should i remove the leg after molt recovery and let her rest again before breeding?

i want to do whatever is best for my female OBT. Thanks!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let the leg be, when and if the leg needs to go she will remove it. I have seen a T pull a full sized leg out of a crippled leg so better leave the leg removing to the T.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let the leg be, when and if the leg needs to go she will remove it. I have seen a T pull a full sized leg out of a crippled leg so better leave the leg removing to the T.
i was just concerned after seeing what happened to your B. smithi after a molt. Didn't he have a stump for a leg. i guess i was worried i might lose her when she molts again since she doesn't have a whole leg or no leg. Will she molt okay with only 1/2 a leg left?

Trust me - i wasn't anxious about removing that leg. i would only do it to prevent a bigger problem next time. Thanks!!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just leave the leg be, it'll be fine. If it really was in the way of anything she'd drop it.

Feed the female and then breed them. You really shouldn't have any trouble since females of this species are very toleratnt of males, despite their attitudes. Good luck!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What happened to my Smithi is not normal. Out of maybe 30 or so messed up legs I have seen, all but that Smithi Male recovered 100%

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i was just concerned after seeing what happened to your B. smithi after a molt. Didn't he have a stump for a leg. i guess i was worried i might lose her when she molts again since she doesn't have a whole leg or no leg. Will she molt okay with only 1/2 a leg left?

Trust me - i wasn't anxious about removing that leg. i would only do it to prevent a bigger problem next time. Thanks!!
Yeah like Ryan said, his smithi was a freak occurance. I'm pretty sure no one can answered why that happened. Well maybe someone... but that's not the point. THe point it your P.murinus will do live fine with ½ a leg, breed fine with ½ a leg, and molt fine with ½ a leg.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
THe point it your P.murinus will do live fine with ½ a leg, breed fine with ½ a leg, and molt fine with ½ a leg.
Okay, okay... point taken. LOL :D Thank you very much. Just trying to do the best for my T. (i really didn't want to remove a leg of an OBT or any T for that matter!!)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, okay... point taken. LOL :D Thank you very much. Just trying to do the best for my T. (i really didn't want to remove a leg of an OBT or any T for that matter!!)
Haha Good.{D :rolleyes:

I completely understand about trying to have the best for your T. Good call.