"Breaking" The Mold

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a small area of blue on top of the soil which covers the rock of the males burrow... most likely mold, but do I need to remove ALL of the soill? Or can I just take about 3 inches all around? I think what happened was I let the topspoill dry out too much....... heat is still around 79 humind is slightly above 80.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One thing I know about mould in general is that if it is fuzzy and hairy looking there are probably veins all around in the soil. also be mindful about spores, so try not to disturb it as you are removing it. If it is solid looking it is easier to remove.

(like if your cheese gets mould you can cut it off no problem {D , but if your bread gets mould toss it all :( )

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you remove the mold and the area around the mold it should be alright. Its amazing how many types of mold a tarantula cage can grow lol.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If this isn't food for thought, I don't know what is.... Lady upstairs pipe burst spilling tons of water into my condo, took about a week to get everything torn up and stuff by whoever owns her unit, by then there was obviously a lot of mold in the sheetrock, could that be a cause?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not enough ventilation?
agree, ive got a tank for my spinifers, it got some mold after a week or so, then when i opened the tank and let it dry for 2 days all the molds where gone, but after another week they are there again.

so heres my solution. bore a hole or whatever you want to do as long as there will be a hole there on the both ends, then insert on one hole a tube connected to a fish aerator, turn it on for every 2 days interval and there will be no more molds, ive just done it for a week and still using that method until now. btw. just use a very long tube for less vibration and less stress. so what could you get from it? you dont need to open whole the tank, no substrate change, less moisture will be lost, and the best of all, no more molds to worry about. ;)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just so happens I have one laying around... Upon scuffling around teh thank I noticed there was more than I thought... I got a look at a male I've had for a while, but never really checked out... His entire undereneath is almost a deep yellowish color, :confused: :confused: . His metamosa seems awfully bulbous and a much lighter color than my past emps.. I must saying, owning different species, I don't pay much attention to my emps and haven't noticed this one's "differnt" qualities.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If irony were strawberries.. I'd be making a lot of smoothies right now... the mold was above the males burrow, so I took the rock off of it and got all the dirt off last night. I guess I made the female mad because this afternoon I found this...(1st pics) bye bye mr. male... Anyways, I don't have a tube for the airator, so I just put it on top lol (see pic) is that okay? The thing is old and shakes like heck, so I put my fem in a deli cup.. I feel bad because it's a tiny spot for a big scorp.. but thats how it goes I guess... How long should I do this airator for? (Keep in my I just kicked ALOT of substrate around to get her out, so whatever is in there I had to have spread it.

PS.. how do I get rid of old pics? I filled up my box and cant put pics of the aerator. :(

Attachments

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to do this but I need to bump this to maek sure I wont kill my big scorp in that small temp deli cup (which mind you is hard plastic and I got them for 1$ each) also, needto know how to delete old pics.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
register to photobucket, you can get the option of deleting your pics, but you need to log-in there.

sorry fotr your male, i think you better need to change everything since it is now an outbreak on your tank. and wash the tank throughly to get rid of the spores. i think those blue, green, yellow and those stinky molds are not good for your scorps.

if you see only a few (about 3 sq. inches) of mold you can use the method that ive told you, but if it will be an outbreak (your tank has mold all over it) you better change the whole thing.

btw, for your substrate do you use pure cocopeat? it gets mold easily so for your new substrate just add 1/4 part of charcoal, the substrate that i use is made of powdered charcoal, potting soil, cocopeat. and i get only molds on the barks and driftwood that i use as decor.

but i dont know if charcoal was something to do with the molds, or if it will do negative effects to my scorps, but by now i cant see any effects to my scorps.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
register to photobucket, you can get the option of deleting your pics, but you need to log-in there.

sorry fotr your male, i think you better need to change everything since it is now an outbreak on your tank. and wash the tank throughly to get rid of the spores. i think those blue, green, yellow and those stinky molds are not good for your scorps.

if you see only a few (about 3 sq. inches) of mold you can use the method that ive told you, but if it will be an outbreak (your tank has mold all over it) you better change the whole thing.

btw, for your substrate do you use pure cocopeat? it gets mold easily so for your new substrate just add 1/4 part of charcoal, the substrate that i use is made of powdered charcoal, potting soil, cocopeat. and i get only molds on the barks and driftwood that i use as decor.

but i dont know if charcoal was something to do with the molds, or if it will do negative effects to my scorps, but by now i cant see any effects to my scorps.
I use the eco-earth bricks.... I don't even know if I feel like having that big tank for one scorp anymore, maybe I need to order more or ditch the setup... Do you think that container is too small for the F? It's about enough room for her to take 3 steps foward, left and right and glass dance.. and to turn around in. I have a plastic cookie jar which would be niec for her but it's too foggy to see her through.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that looks small for me, i have an adult emp for 5+ inches and i once placed it on a small container, almost the same as what you discribes, but she keep on pushing the lid and tries to "chew" the sides, so it may be small for her too.

better to place her back to the larger tank as fast as possible,

and on that male, was he eaten or killed by the claws or stung to death?

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kind of hard to tell, but is it Growing in like Long hair like strands? if it is then its more than likely myclium (spelling?) thats the stuff mushrooms come from. but its hard to tell.

Hope you get this figured out.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that looks small for me, i have an adult emp for 5+ inches and i once placed it on a small container, almost the same as what you discribes, but she keep on pushing the lid and tries to "chew" the sides, so it may be small for her too.

better to place her back to the larger tank as fast as possible,

and on that male, was he eaten or killed by the claws or stung to death?
I found her eating him... if you look close to the pic you can see that she gobbled out some of his head, on the dorsal side, ate the membrane mid abdomen and took out some nice chunks of the first segment of his metamosa... she's pregnant (not from that male).. so I guess it's acceptable {D I don't take the deaths to heart... I make fun of the F and call her the B word but that's about it... I belive everyday we're one step closer to dying anyways haha, not in a negative way at all, but I'm just happy go easy you could say... I plan on doing an expiriment to see whether size affects a female eating her male. I have found so far that she has killed EVERY equal size male she's been with, but not the one which was much smaller. My theory is that the equal size intimidates her, and she would rather try to do battle now than after she partuates. The smaller male would be no match for her so I think she feels less theartened by him and leaves him be.

PS I took many pics of him eaten and will post in the morning.