Brazillian Pink Salmon

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My husband will be purchasing a Brazillian Salmon sling soon . It like $4 because it was on Wholesale (possibly depends on if we want more than just the Salmon Pink) Any suggestion from those who have one of these.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by rosehaired1979
My husband will be purchasing a Brazillian Salmon sling soon . It like $4 because it was on Wholesale (possibly depends on if we want more than just the Salmon Pink) Any suggestion from those who have one of these.
I'm guessing you are talking about. L. parahybana. (Hope I spelled it right. It' too early to think).

If it is, I do believe there is a good care sheet at petbugs.com

Hope that helps! ;)

Wysi

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by rosehaired1979
Lasiodora parahybana eh? Well....I have a 1 inch sling. They're really not that hard to take care of. Voracious eaters they are too. Plus they get quite huge too. They tend to be a little jumpy but mine has not tried to attack me. Of course as she gets bigger her attitude might get bolder. Overall a good show Tarantula since they don't dig deep burrows.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my newest one is somewhere underneath the kitchen sink....

other than that, they can be pretty fast when they want to.
a good addition though, they're always up to something interesting.

i need a new one...

pce
dave

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
, they're always up to something interesting.
Indeed! moving around stuff in the enclosure, reject my excellent and beautiful hide and fill it up with dirt just to dig a new (not so good looking ;) ), turn over the waterdish, replant the suckulents, annoy me, amuse me etc etc.
I just love mine, she's good looking to :p

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since mine's so small, she's given the bare bones setup of substrate and a sling vial cap for a water dish. She doesn't seem to mind it a bit. She's one of my slings who's an extremely good eater too. My Chilean Copper runs around the top of her lid for awhile and then snags the cricket but my Parahybana will do a little "Ring Around the Rosie" dance with her cricket and then she nabs it. I'm thinking a good name for her will be Shelob. I think it fits her and since I'm a big Tolkien fan, if I ever get a Blondi I'll name her Ungoliant.

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an about 4-4.5" L. parahybana that i got when it was about 3/4". They are not hard to care for and I love it to death. It eats like a pig.... moves quite a bit of dirt.....and seems like she doubles in size at every molt! She is very skittish though and she likes to flick hairs. I would highly recommend this spider to any1. I got her as my 2nd T. I cant wait till she gets to be a giant!

Mike G.

Arachnopeon
I got a 4" L. parahybana close to 2 months ago. For the first 6 weeks, she did nothing but hide in her cave. She didn't eat much at all. Then she molted three days ago. She went from an ugly brown to a beautiful black. I'm waiting for her exoskeleton to harden for another 4 days, and then I'm going to feed her. She is very skittish. She's never flicked hairs at me, but had one of the baldest butts that I've seen, so she was flickin' hairs at someone before I got her. I can't believe how much size she gained from her molt. I haven't had a chance to measure yet, but it looks like she gained at least 1.5" minimum, probably more.

Mike G.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a 5 incher, alot of people say this spieces is aggressive i had one awhile back and both of mine where not aggressive they kicked hairs but i was able to hold either of them, i dont normally hold T's only when i have to and neither will tried to fight me, nice T fast growing, and get large, there my favorites when somethin is going on there cage they will run to see what it is, and whats going on very intresting t, i think you will like yours

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by ACoopBB24
I have an about 4-4.5" L. parahybana that i got when it was about 3/4". They are not hard to care for and I love it to death. It eats like a pig.... moves quite a bit of dirt.....and seems like she doubles in size at every molt! She is very skittish though and she likes to flick hairs. I would highly recommend this spider to any1. I got her as my 2nd T. I cant wait till she gets to be a giant!
How long have you had it? I'm just wondering how long it takes to get them to a decent size. I bought mine at about an inch or so two years ago. Now she's about 3.5 inches or so. I'm just wondering how long it will take to reach 6 inches or so if I decide to continue NOT powerfeeding her.

Wysi

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by WYSIWYG
How long have you had it? I'm just wondering how long it takes to get them to a decent size. I bought mine at about an inch or so two years ago. Now she's about 3.5 inches or so. I'm just wondering how long it will take to reach 6 inches or so if I decide to continue NOT powerfeeding her.

Wysi

i have had mine for about 4 months or so when i got s/he it was about 4 molted now its 5, my old one grew pretty fast whle i had him i got my old one at about 2 inches and he ended up molting a few times in the 6 month span and was about 4.5-5 inches when i traded him in, how much do you feed your, what do you consider power feeding my current one i feed about 6-8 crickets a week

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
re: power feeding

Originally posted by Sean
i have had mine for about 4 months or so when i got s/he it was about 4 molted now its 5, my old one grew pretty fast whle i had him i got my old one at about 2 inches and he ended up molting a few times in the 6 month span and was about 4.5-5 inches when i traded him in, how much do you feed your, what do you consider power feeding my current one i feed about 6-8 crickets a week
I think that might be considered as power feeding, though I may be wrong. ;)

Most of my critters get 1 to 2 crickets a week and they stay nice and fat. Sometimes, I do like to take advantage of our living "garbage disposal" from time to time. Predator, our 6ish inch geniculata female LOVES to eat! It's fun to drop in 4 or 5 crickets on occasion and watch her chase them all down. It's hilarious to see her with all of them hanging out of her mouth. She's quite a character and she can usually be counted on to devour the leftover crickets nobody else wants! :)

Wysi

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: re: power feeding

Originally posted by WYSIWYG
I think that might be considered as power feeding, though I may be wrong. ;)

Most of my critters get 1 to 2 crickets a week and they stay nice and fat. Sometimes, I do like to take advantage of our living "garbage disposal" from time to time. Predator, our 6ish inch geniculata female LOVES to eat! It's fun to drop in 4 or 5 crickets on occasion and watch her chase them all down. It's hilarious to see her with all of them hanging out of her mouth. She's quite a character and she can usually be counted on to devour the leftover crickets nobody else wants! :)

Wysi
do you live in phoenix? thats what i do with my Parahybana if my other T's dont eat them i just throw them in with s/he and s/he knows what to do with them

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: Re: re: power feeding

do you live in phoenix? thats what i do with my Parahybana if my other T's dont eat them i just throw them in with s/he and s/he knows what to do with them
I do the same thing with my L. parahybana. She's a very good eater. I guess that's because she's still growing. She needs to gain alot of size too because they get really huge. She just crams them in for her next molt.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: Re: re: power feeding

Close, but no cigar. ;)

I'm in Mesa right now. If all goes well, we'll either be moving further east to East Mesa or even to Gilbert so I'll be around for awhile. ;)

My LP is usually pretty good about taking what others dont' want though Predator is my first choice. :)

Wysi

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To answer your question WYSIWYG, i have probably had mine for about 9 months and she has grown from about 3/4"-1" to 4"-4.5" in that time.....i dont think that i power feed her.... but she does eat a lot!!!

hey..... ive seen that yalls do flick hairs like mine....but are yalls really skittish?...because mine is

later

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
To answer your question WYSIWYG, i have probably had mine for about 9 months and she has grown from about 3/4"-1" to 4"-4.5" in that time.....i dont think that i power feed her.... but she does eat a lot!!!

hey..... ive seen that yalls do flick hairs like mine....but are yalls really skittish?...because mine is

later

mine isnt real skitish at all, in fact when im bumpin around its cage it actully runs over to see whats going on not an a aggressive way but in a wanting to know whats going on way

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

later
My 7"er is very skittish and defensive, quick to flick hairs and if I get to close she will point those big fangs at me and even charge if I disturbe her "to much". She is also suprisingly fast when she want to.
She's definitely a look but don't touch T.

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeh Now I have 2 T's to be proud and next year when I go to UNI they will also be proud....I got a L. parahybana sling for 8 english Pounds is only little so a personality has not been developed yet but he/she eats like a small horse and now Curley and my L.Para will look forward to uni next year.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by TarantuChimp
Yeh Now I have 2 T's to be proud and next year when I go to UNI they will also be proud....I got a L. parahybana sling for 8 english Pounds is only little so a personality has not been developed yet but he/she eats like a small horse and now Curley and my L.Para will look forward to uni next year.
What is Uni?? :?

Wysi