brazilion white knee questions

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know that they should be kept on the dry side but similar to B smithi. any other tips you might have would be appreciated. and any pics would be great. but my main question is how big do they get. and sorry but I forgot the latin name. just remembered its a. genic

my other question is what is a brazilion white leg. nhandu colorvatium or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep both my A. geniculatas on the damper side. They are approximately 4 inches at present, but will get much larger. I've heard they get up to around 9 inches and make excellent display animals - always hungry and not prone to hide much.
I've had 2 males of this species mature. One got to 7 inches and the other around 6 inches. The 7 inch one was docile and I handled him on numerous occasions. The 6 inch one was real nasty and I didn't dare touch hime after he got around 3 inches. The two I have now (1 male and 1 female) are both full of attitude and the female even more so than the male. I've sure they will be a handful when they get larger. Unfortunately I can't breed them as they are siblings.
If you get one, I'm sure you will enjoy it. In my opinion, the most tarantula bang for the buck!
Be careful though as I heard they have a pretty nasty bite. I read somewhere that it was considered medically significant. If anyone can elaborate on that I would appreciate it.
Good luck!
Ralph

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know about care, but, the latin name is Acanthoscurria geniculata. I believe they get to 7-8" if I remember correctly.

Bry

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
huh so a bit on the wetter side, and I see a lot of pics of people handling theirs. so should I try to handle mine, and what would a good price be... just want to make sure im not getting ripped.

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't handle them. many people are allergic to the urticating hairs and yes, their bite is medically significant. best to err on the side of caution. there are other more docile, people friendly t's out there if you want to handle them. they are also terrestrial. they have long thin bodies that can be easily damaged by a short fall. any t that gets above 6" has pretty big fangs too. even if you got a dry bite it would hurt like hell.

personally, i don't handle my t's. they are like tropical fish. i wouldn't handle a lion fish.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree. I don't recommend holding them either. Of couse if you do, you might get a great picture. However, you will probably itch for a very long time! The last time that I held mine, my hands and wrists itched for over a week -- sometimes very intensly.

I'm not sure about the venom, although I have read that before. I am asking a question specifically about that in a new thread.

Jon

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey I appreciate you asking for me. thanks. and yeah I know all about the itching. I used to hold my T blondi when it was smaller and I actually blistered up. truth is my hands itch quite often don't know if its just from cleaning the cages and getting a sray hair or two or what. but this species is suposed to be non aggresive right. so it won't attack me when I put it in its new enclosure will it?

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Aggression

Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
hey I appreciate you asking for me. thanks. and yeah I know all about the itching. I used to hold my T blondi when it was smaller and I actually blistered up. truth is my hands itch quite often don't know if its just from cleaning the cages and getting a sray hair or two or what. but this species is suposed to be non aggresive right. so it won't attack me when I put it in its new enclosure will it?
Which species are you asking about here? If you're asking about the T. blondi, the answer is yes. If you're asking about the geniculata, they CAN be aggressive at times though mostly, they are always hungry. The first time I was bitten by a tarantula, it was by a 1/4 inch geniculata that was sitting on my finger as I was unpacking it and moving it to its new home. He was probably just hungry and wanted to see what I tasted like. ;)

Even so, geniculatas aren't considered to be one of the docile species though I have seen some people hold theirs. On the other hand, some people will do crazy things. =D

Wysi

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
I highly suggest keeping a barrier between your hand and your genic or clean the tank with tongs. It isn't that they are aggressive per say, but that they are quite hungry. You wouldn't want it accidentally mistaking your finger for a pinkie mouse. When moving from one enclosure to another, I recommend corralling the t into some type of carrier that can be lidded and then putting that into the new larger enclosure. Good Luck.

Jon

Last edited:

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I highly suggest keeping a barrier between your hand and your genic or clean the tank with tongs. It isn't that they are aggressive per say, but that they are quite hungry. You wouldn't want it accidentally mistaking your finger for a pinkie mouse. When moving from one enclosure to another, I recommend corralling the t into some type of carrier that can be lidded and then putting that into the new larger enclosure. Good Luck.

Jon
:cool:

Beautiful critter you got here, Jon! She looks bigger than my Predator. I haven't actually pulled out a ruler to measure her yet, but I'd say my Predator is a good 6 inches or so. How big is yours?

Wysi