brazilian white banded bird eater (acanthoscurria genicultta)

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
I hope I have the Latin name right.

Well I have decided this is the T I want, and know the warnings. This T would be for looks, no handling at all.

I would like to know what size tank I will need and if I can do a live tank with her. If all goes as planned I am willing to purchase her at 5"! Before I purchase her I want the tank ready. Can anyone help me with live tank set up, perhaps pictures of your tank?

Thank you in advance

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
h'baby, Yup, you got it right. Also capitalize the first letter of the genus name.

This is a very easy sp to keep. I keep my mature female on the dry side but unlike my Brachy's, moister on the waterbowl end where I allow for a slight overflow when filling each time. Many who've kept this sp, including myself, will tell you that they are somewhat skittish, but actually quite handleable...... except at dinner-time. They are voracious eaters and will often show a feeding response to anything that enters the enclosure, including fingers. Other than that they'll kick hairs a little but are almost always out in full sight and an excellent display choice- so no need for handling to get a better look unless you want or have to.

Btw, welcome aboard! :)

edit- be careful of common names. I've also hear Nhandu coloratovillosus referred to by similar name(s)- which is also a choice captive according to some.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's Acanthoscurria geniculata. I would use a 10 gallon tank, but I think a 20L would also work. As far as live setups, no clue. Good luck.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
Thank you both for replying. I think I will go with a 20L. As for the common name yeah I have discovered that. Had to put the Latin name up so you knew who I wanted and not the Brazilian black and white lol. Is there a care sheet specific for this sp?

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
If you can I suggest you get a sling they are fast growing and a treat watch develop.I got an Acanthoscurria brocklehursti as a second instar at the begging of summer and it is already a good two inches of dubia destroying ferocity.Mine came as a freebie with an order but has quickly earned it's status as one of my favorites.

KevinFrancisco

Arachnopeon
A. Geniculata owner here, and they are really awesome species! They feed on anything you put inside the tank as mentioned above. I never handled them though, I just enjoy watching them chomp up crickets, worms, and roaches...check out my photo thread in my signature to see my Genic's enclosure. Hope it will help...

Enjoy your A. Genic! peace!

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
My phone is acting up so I'm sorry for double posts, or repeated replies.

Kevin she is adorable! What humidity do you keep her at?

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats! These are one of my favorite species.

Pros:
-SPECTACULAR eater! They eat, eat, eat, molt. Rinse and repeat
-Quick growers. They develope fast enough that you can be comfortable getting a sling and it'll be large soon enough.
-Hardy. They seem tolerant of drier conditions
-Awesome display pieces. They act a lot like LPs. Mine has been sitting in the middle of her home (usually on a log, sometimes close but on the soil) for MONTHS! She's awesome like that.
-Lastly, they are very attractive. And large.

Anyways, as posted already, since this T can live a little drier than some, just overfill the waterbowl from time to time. If your' T is ALWAYS near the water bowl, drench the enclosure a little. That's about it.

As far as attitude...I've noticed they are generally skittish, ready to kick, and they WILL see something coming in as food. If you want to handle, don't go in with your' fingers first. Let them know something is approaching that is not food by lightly tapping with some tongs or the like.

PS: I don't and won't hold mine. Just a preference thing. I keep her in a 10G, which is larger than she needs.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your great replies! Yes she will be for looks only, I don't think ill ever hold her.

Emily, thank you for showing me this site!

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
No problem! I'm glad I found it, too.

Do you know when you're going to get the spider? I can't wait to see pictures.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
It'll have to be after I sale some reptiles. But I'm picky on this! I want a sexed female but I don't know where to look, who's a reputable seller, or who I can trust. Oh yeah and I need a guestamite on price. I know a sable girl will cost a pretty penny, but I'mwilling to spend it on a happy, healthy, T! I don't want to be ripped off ya know? But to be honest... I WANT HER NOW! lol I also need more info on her, like life span, can spiders get egg bound (stupid question, but I wanna be safe), what to do if I do get bit, and some others. I want to go into this 100% prepared since I have a ore existing fear.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A Genic

Great T. Everyone should have one! Opposite of Pet rocks. Very alert and entertaining. Among the fastest growers and voaracios feeders. Also a 5'" female? Buy.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I don't mean to hijack this thread, so sorry. Just wondering, I have an Acanthoscurria brocklehursti and was wondering how the care would differ if at all, I have seen some sights even go so far as to say they are one in the same spider, however those are older sights I don't think are currently updated. I do know the banding on the legs differ slightly, I'm more concerned now withe the actual care, and atitude of the T, Thanx.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It'll have to be after I sale some reptiles. But I'm picky on this! I want a sexed female but I don't know where to look, who's a reputable seller, or who I can trust. Oh yeah and I need a guestamite on price. I know a sable girl will cost a pretty penny, but I'mwilling to spend it on a happy, healthy, T! I don't want to be ripped off ya know? But to be honest... I WANT HER NOW! lol I also need more info on her, like life span, can spiders get egg bound (stupid question, but I wanna be safe), what to do if I do get bit, and some others. I want to go into this 100% prepared since I have a ore existing fear.

Check the dealer reccomendations here, and look at the classifieds.
Paul Becker, Ken the Bug Guy, and Swift's are some trusted dealers here, and they have good websites, but there are definently others. Shop around.
As far as price, maybe 100-200$ seems to be average for spiders of that size and attractiveness, especially for females, but it does vary quite a bit.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so sorry. Just wondering, I have an Acanthoscurria brocklehursti and was wondering how the care would differ if at all, I have seen some sights even go so far as to say they are one in the same spider, however those are older sights I don't think are currently updated. I do know the banding on the legs differ slightly, I'm more concerned now withe the actual care, and atitude of the T, Thanx.

Having not had this genus myself, but speaking generically, care requirements don't tend to vary significantly within a genus. I'd advise using the search function here.

hupababy83

Arachnopeon
Thank you Jen! I totally appreciate it. ill have to free up space for her, before I can purchase her.

another stupid question, how are T's shipped?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you Jen! I totally appreciate it. ill have to free up space for her, before I can purchase her.

another stupid question, how are T's shipped?
Jeb.;)
Typically overnight, or the next method down.
Becker doesn't use USPS, Ken, I don't know.
Packing method varies from seller to seller.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry that Jen was a typo. I have auto correct on my phone so it messes me up LOL
Fair enough.
also, most sellers do not list the shipping in the sales price, since it can vary from address to address--just one more thing to keep in mind.