BrazilIan salmon pink lp hide

Rocky

Arachnopeon
No wasted money at all - I actually prefer aquariums over acrylic enclosures. Look at this guide I made to convert aquariums into terrestrial enclosures. Go under the Universal enclosure, the one with the aquarium with acrylic on top (towards the bottom of the first post):
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/inexpensive-arboreal-and-universal-enclosures-diy-projects.283149/
I looked at this idea of yours abd had thought about it before but was skeptical about how well it would work lol. But looks pretty refined. By the way you stated where you got all your supplies in the terrestrial set up besides the acrylic sheet but I've found some good deals at lowes and ebay but I'm going to have to get a good bit of measurements and a big slab is considering how big my tank is lol. Thanks again.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
This is how I keep all my slings when they're a bit smaller:
image.jpeg

And then I bump them up to a Tupperware container and then to an appropriate sized sterilite container. It's all pretty cheap and you don't have to worry about your T getting hurt.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
My sLing set ups arent so bad lol. I got them in a peanut plastic jar with plenty of substrate for my sLing. that's about 2 from the ground and warding tape which is right before the small vent holes cause before I got her I made the jar and when she got here she was smaller than I was told lol. But it's the big cage that I admit I had wrong. My girlfriend got mad cause I kept spending money but I like to be ready. The mesh metal I got right now is only on top because the t doesnt reside in it right now and it came with the tank. I'll take a pic of my setup when I get home so you'll can see. It's just me wanting to over prepare and the fact that my main topic was kinda push to the side that I just said what I said without explaing and I was in the pet store getting impatient lol. I didn't buy either the cork bark or cork round as to the fact I'm going to possibly come up with a better idea.

Last edited:

Rocky

Arachnopeon
This is a slightly outdated pic of her enclosure bUT since this i have moved the substrate up a 1/4 of an inch and I don't know if you can see the stripe but there is warding tape about twice as high as she is from the ground. She tries but I've never seen her get above the line. I've got plenty of other spiders but she happens to be my only t and the only arachnid in my collection that calls for an actual tank when full grown. Btw that's a dubia if you can't tell that she chased out of her burrow and is holding up. Not the best pic of it but the best one I've got on my phone of the enclosure.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I looked at this idea of yours abd had thought about it before but was skeptical about how well it would work lol. But looks pretty refined. By the way you stated where you got all your supplies in the terrestrial set up besides the acrylic sheet but I've found some good deals at lowes and ebay but I'm going to have to get a good bit of measurements and a big slab is considering how big my tank is lol. Thanks again.
If you're not comfortable cutting the acrylic on your own, Lowe's will do it for free if you buy the acrylic from them. If you have a circular saw, use a wood blade (unless you have a plastic one). If you have a Dremel, use a reinforced fiberglass cutoff wheel (those super cheap black disks, your Dremel likely came with half a dozen of them).

Rocky

Arachnopeon
If you're not comfortable cutting the acrylic on your own, Lowe's will do it for free if you buy the acrylic from them. If you have a circular saw, use a wood blade (unless you have a plastic one). If you have a Dremel, use a reinforced fiberglass cutoff wheel (those super cheap black disks, your Dremel likely came with half a dozen of them).
If they will do it for free you can't beat that. Save me time and money lol

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If they will do it for free you can't beat that. Save me time and money lol
Sorry, I know I keep on throwing in extra, but I keep forgetting aspects of it. Buy middle grade acrylic - not the thinnest, but not the thickest either. If it's too thin, it'll bow over time. If it's too thick, it'll be hard to get a lock on there. It should run you about $20 for a sheet of that grade.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This is a slightly outdated pic of her enclosure bUT since this i have moved the substrate up a 1/4 of an inch and I don't know if you can see the stripe but there is warding tape about twice as high as she is from the ground. She tries but I've never seen her get above the line. I've got plenty of other spiders but she happens to be my only t and the only arachnid in my collection that calls for an actual tank when full grown. Btw that's a dubia if you can't tell that she chased out of her burrow and is holding up. Not the best pic of it but the best one I've got on my phone of the enclosure.
Is that a sponge in the water dish? If so it should be removed. Sponges attract mold and bacteria and Tarantulas drink from plain fresh water fine.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Is that a sponge in the water dish? If so it should be removed. Sponges attract mold and bacteria and Tarantulas drink from plain fresh water fine.
Yes it originally had a sponge in there but not for long it wasby for the t it was for the roaches and crickets I have a pebble in there now.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Yeah its fine man I'm quite handy and no problem I really appreciate the tips. I saw what I was looking for around 22 I think I need a 36 × 18

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes it originally had a sponge in there but not for long it wasby for the t it was for the roaches and crickets I have a pebble in there now.
Pebbles are also bad as they also attract bacteria and mold. You should have a water dish with just water in it for the Tarantula and change it every few days or what not. Feeders like roaches and crickets should not be in there long enough for them to need a drink. If the spider does not consume the prey in a few hours you should remove it and try again another time. Uneaten prey items in the enclosure can be a hazard as they become hungry and might turn on the spider. Additionally, if the spider starts molting they are completely at risk and helpless to defend themselves if a hungry cricket decides to take a bite.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Pebbles are also bad as they also attract bacteria and mold. You should have a water dish with just water in it for the Tarantula and change it every few days or what not. Feeders like roaches and crickets should not be in there long enough for them to need a drink. If the spider does not consume the prey in a few hours you should remove it and try again another time. Uneaten prey items in the enclosure can be a hazard as they become hungry and might turn on the spider. Additionally, if the spider starts molting they are completely at risk and helpless to defend themselves if a hungry cricket decides to take a bite.
I know this i don't feed It crickets anymore and as for roaches they won't bite the t the dubias usually burrow aND eventually come back up for water she usually catches them in the act like in the picture. And the pebbles I use do not attract mold yet you might say they are more so marbles. But I appreciate your concern and advice.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I know this i don't feed It crickets anymore and as for roaches they won't bite the t the dubias usually burrow aND eventually come back up for water she usually catches them in the act like in the picture. And the pebbles I use do not attract mold yet you might say they are more so marbles. But I appreciate your concern and advice.
Any predatory or omnivorous invertebrate is a threat to a molting Tarantula though. Just because roaches usually do not bite does not mean they are not capable or never will. Always best to avoid potentially negative situations IMO.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Any predatory or omnivorous invertebrate is a threat to a molting Tarantula though. Just because roaches usually do not bite does not mean they are not capable or never will. Always best to avoid potentially negative situations IMO.
+1

Rocky

Arachnopeon
I'll take your guys word for it but out of the 15 years of keeping arachnids ive never had a problem with them and as for getting them out asap the problem with all of it is that they go in her burrow and I'm not going to dig through the burrow unless she's molting to get the dubia out.

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'll take your guys word for it but out of the 15 years of keeping arachnids ive never had a problem with them and as for getting them out asap the problem with all of it is that they go in her burrow and I'm not going to dog theough the burrow unless she's molting to get the dubia out.
Simple. Crush it's head before you put it on. They can live without a head for quite a while, days even so they will still kick and move, drawing attention. With no mouth parts, the cant bite and finally, with no head, they can't burrow. All problems solved, one easy solution. ;)

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Just my refrence and disclaimer that I thought it was fine. This is from an actual breeder who has been around and studied these little buggers for years. I am always one of those better safe than sorry guys though. The only thing I could think is it eating the turantulas molt but none of my spiders have ever suffered limb loss. but I leave a little feeder in there to get it to come back up incase it goes in my ts burrow so I can catch it and pull out if needed. But like I said I may be just lucky these past 5 years I've been using them and turks as feeders.

Attachments

Rocky

Arachnopeon
I don't like pre killing my animals I feel it kind of dismeanors the whole natural aspect and will probably make my t slightly more dependant on me in the long run. It hunts in the wild maybe rarely coming by an injured prey but I want it to feel as natural as possibe in captivity while still being in good health.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I don't like pre killing my animals I feel it kind of dismeanors the whole natural aspect and will probably make my t slightly more dependant on me in the long run. It hunts in the wild maybe rarely coming by an injured prey but I want it to feel as natural as possibe in captivity while still being in good health.
Tarantulas are opportunistic feeders. They can and do scavenge feed on the wild. Crushing the roach doesn't kill it anyway. If your going for completely natural experience for you tarantulas, make sure there's a few Pepsi's wasps in the t room too. Also, why worry about things like making sure there's no hard edges objects in the enclosure. No one goes around picking up and disposing all the hazards a tarantula may encounter in the wild.

The point of crushing the heads of the feeders is to prevent injury to the t. We already have them in a living situation that, despite our best efforts to provide them as natural an environment as possible, is still, inherently further from natural as is possible. Most tarantulas in people's collections aren't from the same country, or even continent they are in. You have no problem keeping a tarantula in an aquarium with fake substrate (Coco fibre is not found anywhere in nature used as we in the hobby use it) with a fake water source, feeding it insects it would never see in its natural habitat, but you draw the line at pinching the head of the feeder so it can't potentially harm the tarantula in the name of keeping it "natural". LOL.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Ok as far all of that I do and I think you misunderstood what I meant I want the thrill of th hunt for my t I've noticed she loves digging the roaches up or either cornering them and it's more fun to watch than a roach with its head cut off running around like a chicken. But I feel you man. I don't want you to get the wrong impression of me. I merely meant the hunting aspect of it all. My t is in no way in harms way.