BrazilIan salmon pink lp hide

Rocky

Arachnopeon
I have a brazilian salmon pink who is a sling but as all my animals ans everything else in my life I like to prepare for the future. As I know when these guys get full grown they don't use their hide much but I would like to have something for her to retreat to when she feels need be if she wants and I was wondering how big of a cork bark I would need for her. The one I'm looking at is about as big as my hand. Should I get it and cut in half to make a hide or just keep it round your thoughts guys. The measurements are about 6 inches wide and 3 1/2 tall internal wall, what's your thought guys.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you have a sling, it's going to be a long time until it's that size. You're planning ahead just a bit too much, focus on refining your husbandry with what you currently have before trying to figure out what will work for a spider you won't have for quite some time.

Personally, I'm not a fan of cork rounds when spiders are that size. I prefer cork slabs (the same as you'd use in an arboreal setup). Bury them into the substrate and dig out a crawl space with your hand. If they need to make it bigger, they have that capability by just removing dirt. The way you're doing it, they'll get what you give them with no way to change it.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much but I've already prepared eaxh setup and now I'm working on the final one trying to go ahead and get it ready I know it will be a while but there's a good deal on them at my local store and was wondering if I should buy I thought about just cutting it in half and like you said dig a slight hole for my t and let her do the rest. I've deffenitly seen her at work when it comes to burrowing :p. She's a champ just wanted to get something that looked good and natural. Thanks for your reply so quickly btw.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Remember to keep the distance from the floor to the lid no more than 2x diagonal leg span, preferably less (my subadult LP has 0.5x dls).

I'd probably suggest posting pictures of all your setups so far. There are a lot of things to avoid that most new hobbyists don't think about - mesh lids, height, locking mechanisms, water dishes, etc.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your concern ans I really appreciate it I'm not quite new to the hobby just new to the site more say. I want something more natural and won't to be able to see her through the glass. Each setup I have is at least 4 to 6 inches deep each one I plan on no longer than twice her size diagonal tall. Also make sure not to over feed her which is something tough for all of us lol. I have a contacts lense with a pebble in the middle of them so no dubias or turks drown along with my sLing falling in some how though she's bigger than the contact lense case considerably but it's better to be safe than sorry right. I'm actually one of those guys who panic and panic and stress not to mess up I've purchased the tsrantula keepers guide day one ans read it relegiously over half way through of course I would be further if it wasn't for so many refrence pages lol. I've studied arachnids for all my life but this is the first time I got such a large t I just want her to be happy and not throw fiber everywhere in rage lol.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
As far as what you said I got a thick metal screen for the final enclosure it's 36 × 16 × 18 or something with over half of it coco fiber 2 dish bowls from jamies tarantulas. Though I might need a suggestion for a locking mechanism but I put a skull on each side ans have one of those cheap 3 dollar metal latches which I'm considered isn't going to he good enough to keep her in so I might need advice on that considering most of the other enclosure are solid lol. I would take a pic but as I said before I'm at the pet store the one that can't take care of theit animals worth crap even after I tell them *cough* petco.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have a contacts lense with a pebble in the middle of them so no dubias or turks drown along with my sLing falling in some how though she's bigger than the contact lense case considerably but it's better to be safe than sorry right.
Tarantulas can't drown. They float:

As far as what you said I got a thick metal screen for the final enclosure
This is exactly what I was talking about. Screens are terrible for tarantulas - tarsal claws get stuck in the mesh, leading to trapped spiders and lost legs. As for a locking mechanism, just hot glue any latch from Home Depot onto the lid.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Well its a Glass aquarium and I know they're not known to drown but like I said eXtra precautions. She shouldn't be able to reach the lid but as metal lid what else should I use on the top of a glass aquarium cause there's no returning it and I've bad many friends and Co workers with screen lids and np, guess they are lucky.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well its a Glass aquarium and I know they're not known to drown but like I said eXtra precautions.
It's not a matter of them not being known to drown - they can't... unless you drop them in a lake or something. Another user on here has a very deep 'pond' in their enclosure.

She shouldn't be able to reach the lid but as metal lid what else should I use on the top of a glass aquarium cause there's no returning it and I've bad many friends and Co workers with screen lids and np, guess they are lucky.
Tarantulas can climb glass - they can reach anything in any enclosure. For the lid, just cut a piece of acrylic to fit onto the ledge of the frame, drill holes, and you're good. You'll still need a locking mechanism.

The dangers of mesh lids are well established in this hobby. Tarantulas are even able to chew through the mesh. Yes, even the thick metal ones. There's a reason drilled plastic is the most common form of ventilation in this hobby. Just from that tidbit about your friends and coworkers, I'd advise that you refrain learning from them. Avoiding mesh is Tarantula 101.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Well guess I'll just stop posting on here and learn from others cause I don't like getting hashed at when I come to someone with advice.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well guess I'll just stop posting on here and learn from others cause I don't like getting hashed at when I come to someone with advice.
Not sure how you feel "hashed at" given that all I did was present facts. You asked questions, I answered them with facts, not opinions.

Such a loss, though. Losing a user that refuses to take advice after asking for it. Not sure how we'll go on.

Rocky

Arachnopeon
I guess I should have spent less time on studying these creatures and more on an enclosure I know I only have myself to blame for my ignorance. I just hate wasting money. I'll come up with something.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't see how you were "hashed" at? You asked a question/comments etc, Eulers provided you with factual advice. No different than anyone else would.

What specifically did he type that made you feel hashed at? He gave you straightforward, direct answers.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I guess I should have spent less time on studying these creatures and more on an enclosure I know I only have myself to blame for my ignorance. I just hate wasting money. I'll come up with something.
No wasted money at all - I actually prefer aquariums over acrylic enclosures. Look at this guide I made to convert aquariums into terrestrial enclosures. Go under the Universal enclosure, the one with the aquarium with acrylic on top (towards the bottom of the first post):
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/inexpensive-arboreal-and-universal-enclosures-diy-projects.283149/

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
If you have a sling, it's going to be a long time until it's that size. You're planning ahead just a bit too much, focus on refining your husbandry with what you currently have before trying to figure out what will work for a spider you won't have for quite some time.

Personally, I'm not a fan of cork rounds when spiders are that size. I prefer cork slabs (the same as you'd use in an arboreal setup). Bury them into the substrate and dig out a crawl space with your hand. If they need to make it bigger, they have that capability by just removing dirt. The way you're doing it, they'll get what you give them with no way to change it.
a long time is relative. especially with this species. Fast growers they are. I expect my 3 that were 3/4 inch slings 18 months ago will be mature within the next 12 months. Well, at least if they are males, I guess if they're females that might be quite a bit longer actually so you're probably right.. disregard my comments hah!

I wouldn't say it's a waste of money... EulersK is right about that. Look at the thread she linked here.. and then you may want to browse through the "custom vivarium/enclosure" thread....http://arachnoboards.com/forums/vivariums-and-terrariums.81/ lots and lots of good ideas here from buidling your own, using readily available containers and modifying aquariums to custom hides and decorations. :) who knows, it may spark your own creativity and if you've already purchased a bunch of stuff you might get ideas on how to use all of it in unexpected ways. ;)

welcome to the boards! Don't ever feel like someone is "hashing" at you. Most of us are just wanting to help. :)

Rocky

Arachnopeon
Just had a real bad headache and annoyed yesterday lol. One of those days you felt everyone and evertything was agianst you. far as the metal mesh as thick as mine was I though it would be good as long as I put some warding take on the side of glass. I guess again it's best I just come up with another option and be safe, thanks everyone ans sorry about my outburst yesterday. It felt like I was being attacked I guess it's just the stressful day yesterday. I'll figure and enclosure right now as far as the mesh it came with it and Im still using it so I guess not a complete waste.

Last edited: