Brazilian salmon pink acquired as very overfed

oufbfan

Arachnopeon
Okay that's big. My klugi gets big and I've had real big lp's but that's huge!! :clap:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Your T is not over fed. LPs are fast growers. The only risk of having it fat like that is a fall and injuring its self. You cannot over feed a tarantula that is not an adult! Enjoy that big butt! :drool: I love when my LP molts. They have massive gains in each molt. :clap:

Also ditch the vermiculite and use peat or coco fiber. If your T decides to dig vermiculite will not hold a burrow.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disagree with the frequently-repeated assertion that you cannot overfeed a tarantula. It is true that they cannot die as a direct result of overfeeding. Some animals will eat until they literally rupture their stomachs overeating and, AFAIK, T's don't do that.

However, normal, everyday activities like climbing over rough terrain, climbing walls, etc become dangerous because

A) They are now too heavy to gracefully negotate vertical or inverted surfaces and may fall (ever seen a water balloon pop?)

B) They are now dragging their abdomen around, scuffing it up on wood, rock, etc. They can develop nasty sores from this abrasion.

C) Also they can catch their abdomen on a pokey stick or wire (silk plants) and penetrate the skin which is already stretched so thin.

Any of these contingencies can cause fatal complications.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ethan does a much better job than I do of wording things in a way that doesn't piss people off, so I'm just going to stick with, "What he said."

To directly answer the OP - I'd not feed again until the spider molts. That spider isn't 'grossly' overfed, imo, but will be just fine without another meal until post-molt.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agrees with both Moltar and Joe...

My Lp will eat, and eat, and eat.... as well, but it only get's fed one a week, or less.
It'll even eat the day before it molts.
In my experience with only one LP, the abdomen only turns black on the same day it's about to molt.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Agrees with both Moltar and Joe...

My Lp will eat, and eat, and eat.... as well, but it only get's fed one a week, or less.
It'll even eat the day before it molts.
In my experience with only one LP, the abdomen only turns black on the same day it's about to molt.
Thats odd. Mines 3-4" and last premolt she was as black as coal and very shiney for bout a week.

k2power

Arachnoknight
The abdomen finally turned black yesterday. Still no upside down spider today. How long til that usually? Looking forward to seeing her (I hope) fresh.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats odd. Mines 3-4" and last premolt she was as black as coal and very shiney for bout a week.
Mine's hitting 4.5" now.
Dunno... Maybe it has something to do with the temperatures and humidity where I am that affects the time it takes to molt.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Mine's hitting 4.5" now.
Dunno... Maybe it has something to do with the temperatures and humidity where I am that affects the time it takes to molt.
Ive kept my female LP in a climate control box at 85 deg 24/7. Its just different for each T at each stage of there life. Just a normal variance IMO.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive kept my female LP in a climate control box at 85 deg 24/7. Its just different for each T at each stage of there life. Just a normal variance IMO.
Yeah, you're probably right.
Though the temperatures here are much higher... I'm only 4 degrees north of the equator after all.{D