Brazilian Flame Back?

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
A T at a LPS listed as "Brazilian Flame Back" for $35 I've never seen that common name before. Any idea what it could be? I couldn't see it well but it was black with a red abdomen. Maybe 5 inches.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe a B. Vagans, were there other characteristics you could point out? what about the legs or the carapace.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
from the name i would hazard a guess of Lasiodora dificilis but without a pic you're not going to get anything more accurate than a guess.

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
from the name i would hazard a guess of Lasiodora dificilis but without a pic you're not going to get anything more accurate than a guess.
I was thinking the same thing. I might just buy it & then ID it.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another possibility is that it could be Grammostola iheringi, if they're mixing up common names. I've never heard of that tag before.

edit- I just noticed a previous post mentioning possible striping on the legs, which would of course eliminate G iheringi.

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
Thanks if I do indeed get the T, I will post an update.
Another possibility is that it could be Grammostola iheringi, if they're mixing up common names. I've never heard of that tag before.

edit- I just noticed a previous post mentioning possible striping on the legs, which would of course eliminate G iheringi.

Last edited:

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
I got the T, correction its common name was listed as "Brazilian Fireback" here is a pic, I might try to get a better shot later. Any ideas what it might be?

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Euathlus sp. Red (i think its called...)?
no..

not the right color, and too hairy.

looks like a Lasiodora sp. to me. post a picture of it in it's normal stance..not all scrunched up and we can give you a better I.D.(maybe)

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
no..

not the right color, and too hairy.

looks like a Lasiodora sp. to me. post a picture of it in it's normal stance..not all scrunched up and we can give you a better I.D.(maybe)
I was thinking Lasiodora difficilis. I'll try to get a better pic tonight... maybe.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't have thought so either but if you look at the anterior of the abdomen, their looks like a flash of red (like the Euathlus) and not like the entire abdomen is covered in reddish setae

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't have thought so either but if you look at the anterior of the abdomen, their looks like a flash of red (like the Euathlus) and not like the entire abdomen is covered in reddish setae
The red is barely noticeable sun light shows it the best.