Brazilian Black Sling Unwell or Moulting?

Addy96

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. Today I was giving my tarantulas water after last nights feeding and discovered that my grammostola pulchra has come down from the walls of his tank where he normally is and is now like this. Is he moulting or.... dead....? He ate really well last night and I have taken the remains if the food out as well. I was considering rehousing him into a bigger tank given that he moulted a couple months ago.
I really appreciate any information on his current state however I fear the worse...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It is WAY too humid in that enclosure. How much ventilation do you have? Take a picture of the lid. At this size, a water dish that you overfill maybe once per week would be sufficient for humidity. It's not normal for a terrestrial spider to spend all of its time on the walls of the enclosure - it was trying to tell you that it was too humid in there.

I would personally rehouse immediately. It's likely struggling due to a stuffy, ridiculously humid enclosure. It can bounce back, but you'll want to rehouse sooner rather than later. It was due for a rehouse anyway, it's a pretty small enclosure... with no hide that I can see. Provide a hide and water dish while you're at it.

Addy96

Arachnopeon
It is WAY too humid in that enclosure. How much ventilation do you have? Take a picture of the lid. At this size, a water dish that you overfill maybe once per week would be sufficient for humidity. It's not normal for a terrestrial spider to spend all of its time on the walls of the enclosure - it was trying to tell you that it was too humid in there.

I would personally rehouse immediately. It's likely struggling due to a stuffy, ridiculously humid enclosure. It can bounce back, but you'll want to rehouse sooner rather than later. It was due for a rehouse anyway, it's a pretty small enclosure... with no hide that I can see. Provide a hide and water dish while you're at it.
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Ive got some tanks set up already so Ill definitely do this tonight. He had a piece of bark he did hide under when he moulted. This is the top of the lid.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, much too little ventilation. That didn't help the humidity or stagnant air problems. For the rehouse, offer much more ventilation.

Addy96

Arachnopeon
Yeah, much too little ventilation. That didn't help the humidity or stagnant air problems. For the rehouse, offer much more ventilation.
Okay. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Here, for the rehouse, take a look at this video. You can follow this to the tee, a G. pulchra will be kept identically.

cold blood

Staff member
Listen to @EulersK , that current enclosure is a complete death trap for this species (and most). It looks fit for a salamander though.

cold blood

Staff member
So I'm curious, it says you are in Australia. We've had other members tell us that the only species they are allowed to keep there are native Aussie species. They've always said that "beginner" species just aren't available, yet here you are with a great one. Glad you could get one, just wondering why others from your country say they aren't allowed or available.

@jigalojey , what say you?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Uh, this proves that even strict controls X-Ray Australia can be cheated :writer:

I need a female of Atrax robustus, because "of Mygalomorphae they are of best". PM me, in Italy no one control, officers are too busy speaking about soccer instead of "Sherlock" I.D the parcels :troll:

cold blood

Staff member
Uh, this proves that even strict controls X-Ray Australia can be cheated :writer:

I need a female of Atrax robustus, because "of Mygalomorphae they are of best". PM me, in Italy no one control, officers are too busy speaking about soccer instead of "Sherlock" I.D the parcels :troll:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: