Brazilian black or Mex red knee?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
I'll be heading down to vagas next week for the reptile expo. ( Any vendors here going)? Well I'm still deciding on what to get next..bblack and redknee are def on my list, but don't know which one to favor...I might just take both lol if I can get the girlfriend in the right mood. Anyway anything I should shoot for before these two? ( as a beginner?) Also what's the prices at these places? I heard a lot cheaper than retail? It's my first time going to one of these I'm pretty stoked!

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
both... duh:rolleyes:

they're pretty cheap if you get them as slings, maybe $20-40 each.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
G. pulchra will run you a bit higher than the B. smithi

Although I like Brachys, I would go with the Grammostola genus, they dont kick hairs near as much and are considered one of the most docile genus....

my 2 cents......

nolan

Arachnopeon
Well i have done research on both and in my newbie opinion i would say brazilian black they are arguably the most docile t and look like a t from a horror movie lol

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
both are excellent Ts, like others have said the G. pulchra is a bit better about not being as itchy, but the B. smithi will grow faster and run less for a comparative sized specimen.

i am echoing the opinion of you buying both, you wont regret either of them and it'll get you a head start on raising them both up if you choose slings/juvies. if you have to get only one and pricing is fair on both, get the pulchra since it will take longer to grow.

Last edited:

TerribleGrizz

Arachnopeon
+1 B. smithi's are awesome looking T's. I have a G. pulchra and it is also amazing. Get both :D

T-kid's mom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have both and have to say that G. pulchra is one of our absolute favorite tarantulas ever!

puck4u

Arachnopeon
My vote is still the E. campastratus... Pink Zebra Beauty..very pretty, affordable (even as matures) and very docile !!!! I love mine and haven't had ANY regrets !!!!

Dave K

Arachnopeon
Beginners T

I have a curly hair and a red knee. My curly is fairly laid back, but my red knee makes her look like a Ferrari on a gocart track. Dosent move a hair when I fill the water dish or anything! The B. smithi gets my vote.

widowmaker03

Arachnopeon
I say B. Smithi as well. The Mexican Red-knee pretty much embodies the tarantula hobby and is a fine mascot. I got a Smithi as a sling from my brother about 5 years ago for christmas. It was a little terror and I was not prepared for such a tiny spider (my aquarium had holes in the top) so she got out and went for a walk around my littered bedroom floor... found her about an hour later under the bed go figure.

She is now a healthy 4.5". when she does decide to molt I am going to try and find a mate for her to get jiggy with. From what I have read the most famous of the starter tarantulas is also one of the most difficult to breed. The only part that concerns me is the cooldown period...

I like the Gramastola (sp?) species fine, but their coloration is always kinda boring to me. Having had a Rosea, I always compare them with her... it is either a black rosea or a bigger rosea or a brown rosea... they just look so much the same. Brachypelma though has some beautiful oranges... Brachy hands down my friend!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get 'em both!

I personally couldn't choose - I love both species.

If I really really really REALLY had to... G. pulchra. They are just beautiful.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both are great!

If you are only going to get one, it depends on what you can get the better "deal" on. All things being equal (size, sex, etc), the BB will ordinarily go for approx 25% to 30% more. Assuming all things ARE equal, I would give the edge to the Pulchra, since they have the reputation of a high end T.

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G. pulchra, but get one that is around 2", unless you have the patiencs of a budhist monk. They take FOREVER to grow!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also say get both.But if you are going to get only one, get the G pulchra. They are beautiful, calm, rarely kick hairs, and do not grow as slow as many would believe. I have four that went form 1.25" to over 4" in 9 months. I have had similar results with 5 other G pulchra spiderlings, as well.
As for the price, you can get 1" for $35, 2" for about $60, a large 4"-5" will run you $200-$300.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G pulchra again for the win! For a 2nd, or actually a tie, I'd choose B emilia. Mine was as docile as any of my pulchras but alas molted mm so I shipped him out. Hope Ana's female likes him! No experience with smithi but from what I hear some indivs are as bad a boehmei in terms of kicking urticating hairs. Good luck with whichever one or eighty spp you choose. :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No experience with smithi but from what I hear some indivs are as bad a boehmei in terms of kicking urticating hairs. Good luck with whichever one or eighty spp you choose. :)
both of my smithis kick way more than my boehemei. i hope its just because they are small and grow out of it, the sooner the better.