Brazilian Black and White- I'm worried about this lil guy

Robisatarantula

Arachnopeon
Hi i have a Brazilian Black and White T and its an adult male. It paces around the cage all day. It never stays still for more than an hour or two at the max. I feel like this is bad behavior because he won't eat. I've been trying for 5 weeks to feed him. His abdomen is a bit bald from hair flicking and is still pink so i don't think it'll molt soon. It's also fully grown as far as i can tell. Bout 7 and a half inch leg span. I have him in a 10 gallon terrarium with vermiculite and a large half log and small half log, both of which he never goes in (even at night i have watched him multiple times in the middle of the night) Any thoughts on his health or suggestions on what to do for him would be amazing.

rattler420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if its a mature male, its prolly wandering around looking for a mate.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He's not interested in food or water. He's is only interested in finding females to mate with and there is nothing you can do to change his mind. He will not live too much longer so you can either find a mate for him or just keep him as happy as you can untill he gives up. Sorry it's not good news but all male T's go through this. Good luck.

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like you have a MM. Assuming his last molt wasn't too long ago, he may still be able to be used for breeding.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does he have hooks on his front legs? If he has them you will see them, they are very obvious. If he does, try to find him a lady friend. He will be much happier.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Hi i have a Brazilian Black and White T and its an adult male. It paces around the cage all day. It never stays still for more than an hour or two at the max. I feel like this is bad behavior because he won't eat. I've been trying for 5 weeks to feed him.
Once a male T matures, his only thought is to find a female. He will eventually eat.

His abdomen is a bit bald from hair flicking and is still pink so i don't think it'll molt soon. It's also fully grown as far as i can tell. Bout 7 and a half inch leg span.
He will not molt again. We refer to the "maturing" molt as the ultimate molt. Occassionally, a male will molt once more, called a "pentultimate" molt, but often loses a leg or palp in this molt as they seem unable to remove the enlarged palps and/or hooks from the old exoskeleton.

I have him in a 10 gallon terrarium with vermiculite and a large half log and small half log, both of which he never goes in (even at night i have watched him multiple times in the middle of the night) Any thoughts on his health or suggestions on what to do for him would be amazing.
No matter the size of the enclosure, he will wander every inch of it looking for a female. Post him here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=27
You will definitely find someone who will be glad to breed him, and you will get 50% of the spiderlings, if that is the arrangement you choose. Or, you can sell him and buy a female.

Best of luck.

Robisatarantula

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the help. He has the hooks. He 100% guaranteed searching male. Poor guy. I shall try and find him a breeder! Thanks again for the help! I think my local pet store tries to rip people off by selling mature males that will die soon for way too much. Normal buyers like me will walk in and be like sweet tarantula and it will die soon and we will cry. I will definately search for a breeder. He deserves some spider booty!

starseed

Arachnopeon
My H. lividum acted the same way. It was a girl hunt. Soon after he started to wobble as he walked around. If your T does this you know the end is near. About a month after Blue started to wobble he curled his legs up under him and passed away. It was a sad moment since it was my first T death. :(

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you really like this species, there is a reptile shop near where I live that has many of them at really good price. I do not know if they ship any or if it's ok for me to give you a link to the store though. They have several sub-adults for $20. They are 2"-3".

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
N. coloratovillosus is a sweet species. I'm assuming that's what you have there. Keep offering him food from time to time, he may take it. I have a MM C. fasciatum (Tiger Rump) who's been mature for 4-5 months now. He eats every once in a while. I think he's had 4 crickets in as many months. Just enough to keep him going.
It is kinda sad though. Alllll he does is climb around trying to escape. I wish i could help him. Tiger Rumps are so common though, nobody seems to have an interest in breeding him and he's nearing the end now anyways...