Brave Wilderness video - bitten by S. heros

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'd almost like to make videos addressing this pede bite; Coyote, despite the flaws in his productions, seems like a nice guy. However, these days, criticism of any kind would earn me a reputation as a hater from Coyote's fan pack, which appears to consist mostly of young kids and wannabe wildlife experts. Besides, my channel is way too small, and any criticism of a channel as big as Coyote's would earn me enough backlash to destroy my channel's credibility. Maybe I will once I get more subs; I'm relying principally on handling videos to get me the most internet attention.

styrafoamcow

Arachnopeon
I think it would be worth doing. I considered it as well. If you look there are even hundreds of people making reaction videos which is so cringey to me. Coyote is such the over-acting drama queen. I watched his velvet ant sting video and laughed because I have been stung by one as a child and didn't bat an eye. I think it's good to inform people instead of pretending everything is so dangerous

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still, I gotta say, most species still hurt way more than heros. From what I've seen, pain scale for most people is like loosely this: [EDIT; fixed an error] rhysida, otostigmus sp. < polymorpha < ethmostigmus sp. < mutilans < SA giants <heros < alternans < subspinipes < hainanum < hardwickei, dehaani < Riau Giant.
How did you come to this conclusion? S. mutilans bites are about as bad a mosquito bite. Ethmostigmus bites are worse. Also hainanum bites aren't that bad.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I just noticed that Coyote had filmed a centipede vs millipede video. To be honest, I enjoyed watching it, even though he massively exaggerated the dangers of the S. polymorpha he was holding. I think I'll probably film my own centipede vs millipede video once I get some millipedes myself, going into more detail, and without demonising the centipede.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
How did you come to this conclusion? S. mutilans bites are about as bad a mosquito bite. Ethmostigmus bites are worse. Also hainanum bites aren't that bad.
Sorry, I just looked through a bunch of old bite reports and other things I found. (I don't handle and I really don't want to get bitten so I have no firsthand experience) I was aware mutilans have a very weak bite for an Asian species but I've seen pictures of a badly swollen foot from a definitive mutilans. And hainanum are actually pretty nasty, I've alse seen pictures of that... But anyway this was just a 5-minute slap-together of fairly unreliable stuff to show that while heros is certainly stronger than a lot of 'pedes, it really is just in the middle as far as pain goes.

I'm not really taking sides here as far as the Coyote thing goes but exaggerating about a nonlethal and not too-painful bite can only bring about bad for centipedes, which are already hated by too many people.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I go back and forth with my opinion of him. I found his vids where he works up the pain index pretty entertaining. This one seemed like an exaggeration to me. I applaud the whole, let's get people excited and interested in nature, but I don't think it's a good idea to keep talking about how scary something looks! The whole time I was watching that all I could think was that poor centipede was trying to run away and hide and couldn't - he looked like Fred Flintstone running super fast and getting nowhere.