Brave Wilderness video - bitten by S. heros

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
Has anyone seen the new video from Brave Wilderness where he (Coyote Peterson) gets bitten by a WC Scolopendra heros?
I can't tell how much of his reaction is over-dramatized for the extra views. Anyone with experience handling S. heros want to chime in?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I saw it too. I think it's a bit overreacted, but I've never been bit by any pede before.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Has anyone seen the new video from Brave Wilderness where he (Coyote Peterson) gets bitten by a WC Scolopendra heros?
I can't tell how much of his reaction is over-dramatized for the extra views. Anyone with experience handling S. heros want to chime in?
There are enough well documented bite reports out there..so sensationalism at its best. Lets see him get bit by some of the Asian giant pedes.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Everyone has a different tolerance to pain. Imagine if he took a Asian pede hit though... :astonished:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
But he's also done everything on the Schmidt pain index for insect stings all the way up to tarantula hawks, bullet ants, and warrior wasps. Is an Asian centipede worse than those?

Surely there is some over-acting, but he's definitely no stranger to high-powered bites and stings. He does a fairly good job of describing what sort of sensation the pain feels like once he's calmed down a bit from the initial hit.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
But he's also done everything on the Schmidt pain index for insect stings all the way up to tarantula hawks, bullet ants, and warrior wasps. Is an Asian centipede worse than those?

Surely there is some over-acting, but he's definitely no stranger to high-powered bites and stings. He does a fairly good job of describing what sort of sensation the pain feels like once he's calmed down a bit from the initial hit.
Asian centipedes, especially dehaani, are LEAGUES above any of the Hymenopterans when it comes to pain. Also he hasn't done everything on the Schmidt pain scale, there's about 70 more insect stings to go before he's done the whole scale

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Asian centipedes, especially dehaani, are LEAGUES above any of the Hymenopterans when it comes to pain. Also he hasn't done everything on the Schmidt pain scale, there's about 70 more insect stings to go before he's done the whole scale
True, but he's done the "top" 5-6 (all rated 3.5 or higher out of 4). Peterson and his team also found an executioner wasp on the same excursion as the warrior wasp, a species fairly newly discovered and not covered under the pain index. They teased another video on the way.

I wasn't aware that centipede bites were that painful -- my presumption was that the Schmidt pain index existed because those were some of the most painful stings or bites in general, but if Schmidt was an entomologist specializing in Hymenopterans it would explain the focus of the list.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
True, but he's done the "top" 5-6 (all rated 3.5 or higher out of 4). Peterson and his team also found an executioner wasp on the same excursion as the warrior wasp, a species fairly newly discovered and not covered under the pain index. They teased another video on the way.

I wasn't aware that centipede bites were that painful -- my presumption was that the Schmidt pain index existed because those were some of the most painful stings or bites in general, but if Schmidt was an entomologist specializing in Hymenopterans it would explain the focus of the list.
Yeah, there's only Hymenoptera on the index. He wrote a book which is apparently really good. Centipede bites are apparently some of he most painful in the animal kingdom, right up there with stingray and stone fish stings. I've personally never been bit though

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Yeah, there's only Hymenoptera on the index. He wrote a book which is apparently really good. Centipede bites are apparently some of he most painful in the animal kingdom, right up there with stingray and stone fish stings. I've personally never been bit though
Very interesting. Centipedes are pretty far outside my wheelhouse, I know next to nothing about them.

Time to read some bite reports.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got nailed by a subspinipes a couple years back. if heros, is anything like a subspinipes, I think he took it pretty darn well.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Here's a link to a S. heros bite report. The pede woke up from the sexing procedure and bit him three times.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQb7Up3BJb-/
That report is for a 6" heros, the one in Coyote's video looks like a good 8" with a solid body mass, and that will have made a difference. I'm not qualified to comment on relative bite pains as I've only taken one bite from a centipede (and one from a skink, a cat, a human and the latter one hurt most) but I think the main gist of it is that heros bites are not to be cast away lightly simply because they're not in the Asian supspinipes complex.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
That report is for a 6" heros, the one in Coyote's video looks like a good 8" with a solid body mass, and that will have made a difference. I'm not qualified to comment on relative bite pains as I've only taken one bite from a centipede (and one from a skink, a cat, a human and the latter one hurt most) but I think the main gist of it is that heros bites are not to be cast away lightly simply because they're not in the Asian supspinipes complex.
Oh of course a heros bite is nothing to ignore, but he could've picked a worse pede while he was over in Asia filming

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I don't recall Coyote going to Asia. Anyway, that size difference is a factor I forgot to accommodate, and the difference in mass between Azog and Gothmog (my two biggest pedes) illustrates clearly how much difference a single centimetre of length makes, let alone a couple of inches.
Still, he could have been doing a bit of exaggeration. He spent so much time going on about how the pede was the animal he was most scared of, so I suppose he had no choice to say it was worse than the bullet ant.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can vouch, the book is a good read. Can't vouch for pede bites or stingray and stone fish stings though lol.

emplosion

Arachnopeon
I'm not really a huge fan of this guys content. A lot of it feels forced and accentuated.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I heard from a very experienced centipede keeper, and i quote; "No S heros on a first time hit would hurt superrrr bad, but considering what he's taken, I'm a tiny bit surprised."

This was a response when I asked whether he thought it was a overreaction.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I'm not really a huge fan of this guys content. A lot of it feels forced and accentuated.
I think his content is aimed at younger audiences, trying to foster an interest in the natural world. His facts aren't perfect, and it's clear that his knowledge of invertebrates in general is pretty lacking, but otherwise I think he does a decent job of building excitement and curiousity. Facts can always be corrected or updated as one learns, but creating an interest and desire to learn about nature is important and can be more difficult to achieve.

He's not perfect, but he has his place.