Brand New To Jumping Spider Keeping

rainebird

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am brand new here, and am trying to get my bearings and prepare as much as I can. I am wanting to get my very first pet spider, and I am looking to get a jumping spider (not sure what species yet).
I have been doing a bit of research already, and am working on a checklist of the items I need to get in order to make an enclosure and care for the little baby properly. But, I figured there are more experienced people here, and I am open to any suggestions!

So far, I know I will need:
-An enclosure that is more tall than wide, with good air flow that won't impede moisture and humidity inside the enclosure itself. Preferably with space at the top for their nest.
-Substrate for the bottom of the enclosure
-A water bottle for misting every few days
-Wood or sticks (sturdy) for climbing (been looking into cork bark)
-Other misc decorating items to make the enclosure more homey (optional)
-Live or pre-killed food (been thinking fruit flies and such if I'm getting a baby, may get small crickets or such if it is a larger spider)
-Non-chlorinated water for spraying (Will jugged distilled water work for this? Or should I get dechlorinating solution for the tap water at home?)

Please feel free to reply with any suggestions, advice or corrections. I have been casually researching for a few days now, and am taking a look at what my options are for enclosures and the like, but I still have a lot to learn. I want to do this right the first time. :)

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
It seems you have things figured out, I think it looks good.
-Non-chlorinated water for spraying (Will jugged distilled water work for this? Or should I get dechlorinating solution for the tap water at home?)
I use jugged distilled water for my animals. You could use dechlorinating solution but I think distilled water is safer and easier.

rainebird

Arachnopeon
Ah, this is great news, I already have a jug of water at home, so that's one less thing to have to worry about! Thank you!

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
You asked about live or pre killed food. I would use fruit flies or pinhead crickets on the smaller side. Then get bigger as it grows. You should only need mediums for an adult. They prefer the movement so use live

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Also for decor, I would use non toxic sticks like oak, maple, and magnolia. I use hibiscus sticks for some insects. For substrate, you can use reptile soil or coconut fiber

rainebird

Arachnopeon
You asked about live or pre killed food. I would use fruit flies or pinhead crickets on the smaller side. Then get bigger as it grows. You should only need mediums for an adult. They prefer the movement so use live
That is great to know, actually. I know they prefer the movement, so live is best. I watched a video by Snake Discovery on Youtube, and they said they might eat a dead cricket if it's the last one you have before getting more, so go ahead and try. Worst case, they don't eat it.
Do you think winged or wingless fruit flies are best? My worst fear is having a bunch of fruit flies escape into my bedroom

rainebird

Arachnopeon
Also for decor, I would use non toxic sticks like oak, maple, and magnolia. I use hibiscus sticks for some insects. For substrate, you can use reptile soil or coconut fiber
Awesome, I did read about coconut fiber somewhere. I was leaning towards the cork bark since I'm not sure what kind of trees I have in my neighborhood, and then I wouldn't have to disinfect it for mites or bugs. Though, I would much rather go hunt around then support Amazon lol

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
If you have a reptile shop by you they should have something like grape wood or manzanita. I would not use cholla wood. If it has a normal leaf, it should be safe. If it has a needle, don’t use it.

rainebird

Arachnopeon
If you have a reptile shop by you they should have something like grape wood or manzanita. I would not use cholla wood. If it has a normal leaf, it should be safe. If it has a needle, don’t use it.
Perfect, good to know. Thank you so much for your help!