Brand New D.diamantinensis-help?

torily

Arachnopeon
Yesterday, I received my very first T- a 2" sexed female with her enclosure, substrate and her plant. I set things up and introduced her to her new place. She initially started webbing but now she isn't webbing and I am concerned. I don't want to drive her breeder crazy, but I also want her to be okay.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the hobby firstly, Now as a new keeper you will tend to over think things and worry where in truth there isn't anything to worry about but that's OK as it shows you care.
Some tarantulas can take a while to settle and after such a big upheaval your tarantula will still be trying to find its feet so to speak, as it's only been 24hrs or so she's behaving like most other tarantula would. If you have any crickets drop one in and see if she eats it may help a bit.
Just a few words about the beautiful tarantula you have they can be skittish and grumpy (or at least mine is) they are also extremely quick and will bolt, they also have a fantastic appetite and she will continue webbing when she's ready

torily

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby firstly, Now as a new keeper you will tend to over think things and worry where in truth there isn't anything to worry about but that's OK as it shows you care.
Some tarantulas can take a while to settle and after such a big upheaval your tarantula will still be trying to find its feet so to speak, as it's only been 24hrs or so she's behaving like most other tarantula would. If you have any crickets drop one in and see if she eats it may help a bit.
Just a few words about the beautiful tarantula you have they can be skittish and grumpy (or at least mine is) they are also extremely quick and will bolt, they also have a fantastic appetite and she will continue webbing when she's ready
Oh thank you for the encouragement. I can't help worrying about her.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No problem, that's what we are here for. If you'd like us to look over the enclosure and see if there are ways to improve it we'd be glad to. Just post a photo of it. Also if you have more questions and concerns feel free to ask.

Good luck with your new T.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Can you get one with more of the whole enclosure? Also one with the sub?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I personally don't mist though a lot of people do. With the size of that enclosure you can add a twist cap for a water dish to ensure your T always has access to water should they want some and to provide humidity.

The sub is good and a good level.

I would add more ventilation holes in the sides of the enclosure. Good ventilation is important with arboreals as a general rule.

I like that enclosure and it looks like your off to a good start.

Last edited:

torily

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I am so happy that I am not killing her. She has a water dish. I can't think of how to add more ventilation and not disturb her more.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can't think of how to add more ventilation and not disturb her more.
I can understand that but it shouldn't be too much a disturbance. I'd move her into a catch cup, put the lid on and rework the enclosure. With the wood and plants moved she should settle and have an easier time webbing.

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
She is webbing! She is webbing!!!
I remember the first time my GBB sling started webbing in her little cup... Amazing feeling, had me hooked INSTANTLY. Enjoy it, you have found an amazing tool for beginners in this forum, I can't speak highly enough of the keepers on here, they are fantastic and will keep you straight!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She initially started webbing but now she isn't webbing and I am concerned.
Why are you concerned? If you were someone's pet, and you stopped sitting on the couch should the owner be worried about you?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here it is.
Your T is a terrestrial species, you have its container set up and styled for an arboreal T more than you may know.

I own some dwarf Ts of that size, your species is a dwarf. I keep all of mine of that size in something larger than that flat top AMAC box; it's too small.

It appears that T has more space to climb up than it does to walk on "land", that is the wrong setup for a terrestrial. The distance between the sub's surface and the lid should be about 1.5X the Ts Diagonal Leg Span (DLS). That's to prevent injury/death due to falls, particularly with female Ts that tend to pack on the weight into their abdomen (which can rupture due to fall).

Give her more floor space, I use ExoTerra's SMALL sized Breeding Box, http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/breeding_box_terrariums.php

Don't forget a water bowl in case you don't have one.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Your T is a terrestrial species, you have its container set up and styled for an arboreal T more than you may know.
Thanks for the information. I totally missed that when I did a quick search for this species. The ones I saw was laid out in tall leaned bark style and I (wrongly) assumed they were arboreal. I'll edit my post to prevent confusion.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the information. I totally missed that when I did a quick search for this species. The ones I saw was laid out in tall leaned bark style and I (wrongly) assumed they were arboreal. I'll edit my post to prevent confusion.
No prob, I read your post and knew something wasn't quite kosher. I figured you were drinking too much of that home-made mead ;)

torily

Arachnopeon
Can I put more substrate in temporarily? She and her enclosure came to me as semi-arboreal from her breeder who has been incredibly patient with me and my endless questions.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No prob, I read your post and knew something wasn't quite kosher. I figured you were drinking too much of that home-made mead ;)
Trying to post while finishing some work at the office was the culprit. :D