Branching out

Ncshooter

Arachnosquire
So I've had my AFS for about 8 months now, she seems very content (hasn't hinted at molting yet...but she's slowly packing on weight). I'm really looking to expand my collection a bit more and started brainstorming where to go next.

I was thinking of a few more big claw friends -- maybe a cavimanus or a glabrifons? Or just go for the big boi imperator himself? I've been pretty happy with my little AFS so far, so not counting them out either. The only non bulky species I've looked at is the arizonesis - I think having some different biomes represented (desert, savana and of course my current jungle floor for AFS enclosure) would be an interesting display. Do all of the ones I mentioned thus far fair well in 10gal tanks?

My wife got us tickets to the repticon show tomorrow, might get lucky and find a few vendors with scorps... figured now was a good time to have the discussion LOL

Thanks!

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
After being a long time imperator owner I have finally started branching out myself this year and I am loving my hadrurus spadix. I've had him for about a week now and have been feeding him every other day thinking he would be full, but hasn't refused a meal yet. It's also so much different since he stings his prey, which I only ever get to see with baby imperators. He's very active, I'm always seeing him kicking sand around. So yeah, my advice is go for the arizonensis if you're looking for a change, they are a lot of fun. From what I understand with glabrifons you'll basically just have an empty tank to stare at because they hide so much.

Ncshooter

Arachnosquire
I've been hearing lots of interesting things about the H. Spadix / Ariz. -- namely their weird symbiosis with those blue (name escapes me at the moment) clean up crew bugs. That's good to know they have a good capture instinct! Always fun to watch the hunt. My little Petersii used her stinger exactly once in 8 months - against a super worm that nipped at her. Stung then crushed his head, it was pretty awesome honestly :) But she is *super* lazy when it comes to hunting. She'll go exploring all the time and burrow/re-arrange things..but you could put a cricket on her head and she wouldn't care.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Desert Hairy Scorpion I would probably buy an adult due to demanding molts.

You may want to look into Smeringurus mesaensis or Smeringurus vachoni. Very active and aggressive feeders.

Texas Bark Scorpion (Centruroides vittatus) or Florida Bark Scorpion (Centruroides gracilis, just don't buy any C.gracilis from Central America or the Caribbean they are more toxic from these locales). These are communal.

You may like to try out fossorial scorpions such Anuroctonus or Diplocentrus (however their activity level is low or feed infrequently). But they are still cool. Diplocentrus whitei resembles a dwarf AFS.

Opistophthalmus look cool but basically will be a pet hole but their feeding response is quite aggressive no doubt a means of survival due to its predatory behavior and its habitat.

You may like to try Buthacus leptochelys or Buthacus arenicola (yes it's an OW Buthid but a relatively harmless one).

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You may like to try Buthacus leptochelys or Buthacus arenicola (yes it's an OW Buthid but a relatively harmless one).
B leptochelys has an LD50 around .75. It’s on par with some of the less dangerous androctonus. It might not kill you, but it could be extremely painful.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
B leptochelys has an LD50 around .75. It’s on par with some of the less dangerous androctonus. It might not kill you, but it could be extremely painful.

There are no reported deaths from Buthacus stings but caution is always wise and best. The Buthid scorpions that are responsible for recorded human deaths belong to 8 genera: Androctonus, Buthus, Centruroides (primarily Mexico, Central America, & the Caribbean), Hottentotta, Leiurus, Mesobuthus, Parabuthus, and Tityus. And statistically fatalities overwhelming involve children under 15 years old. Yes, Buthacus probably has a painful sting.