brag: I got my first tarantula :)

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You guys were right imo. I do believe it is an A. metallica. Got it from petco for 18 bucks. I checked to see if it had any tibial spurs and I didn't see any. That said, I'm new to the hobby and am not sure if this specimen is full grown or not. It's fairly big I'd say, I'll try to get a pic with a ruler. I'd guess it's maybe ... 3 to 4 inches. Not sure of the sex but hoping female obv.

Here's some pics.

I've got it in a tea container or something, whatever it is, I got from walmart. I'm gonna try to get a 10 gallon tank for cheap off craigslist so I'm thinking this enclosure is just temporary. I didn't want to pay 10 freakin dollars for a piece of wood, so I decided to try to find something around the house to use instead of the overpriced stuff at the petco. Not sure what to use for a climbing stick, as of right now there's nothing, and she's (fingers crossed :)) made her way up here to this little flip thingy

seems content right there for now. She seems very docile and not jumpy or skiddish at all. I poked her into the container at the pet store and moved her again here and have touched her gently with my finger and she's fine. She's active, seems healthy, but thankfully not skiddish at all.

I'm pretty happy so far imo

:)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Glad your happy with her! You said you were thinking about getting a ten gallon, you don't need that I think. Most people here will probably tell you that you can put it in a 5.5 gallon sitting vertical with a plexiglass door that you can make. Mabey somone can post a link to a video of making that or somthing. And yeah buying sticks from petco is stupid, if you can get wood from your backyard or somthing thats good. Just make sure you bake wood that comes from outside to kill things. And be careful of mold on "natural" things, I find it's hard to keep the mold off of wet sticks:8o

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's def an A. metallica right? I'm new to the hobby imo.

does it look female? like I said, didn't have any hooks.

will try to get a good sexing pic imo

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Juvenile spiders all typically look the same up to a point. They are either juvenile or female is how you should think of it.

Until it matures and has it's emboli (male sexual devices) the only way to really tell is via a exuvia check for spermathecae. (shed molt for female parts)

Based on the pics I'm sure it's an Avicularia but as to it being a regular avicularia or metallica better pictures are needed. At first glance yes it does look like an A. metallica but again pictures are hard to really ID some spiders as there are, in some, only slight variances in color and form.

For now be happy you have your first and learn all you can! Get some cork bark in there, hunkered down into the substrate, and lean it to one side and you'll find I'm sure it will use this. Avic's of that size tend to build "hammock" or "tube webs" between a structure and the side of the enclosure. Since you have nothing to attach webbing to easily it won't web much or act "shy" or "stressed". Give it a place it can relax and stay out of the lights and your peering eyes. :)

Keep the substrate a bit moist and not soppy wet and allow plenty of air flow and about a week in between those misting/soakings. If you go to check the following week and it's still fairly moist (you can tell dry vs. damp) hold off that week and check back in a few days. They will adapt quite nicely to the RH (Relative Humidity) of your area and the room and keep the water dish full of fresh water each couple of days or a week if needed.

Now is the time to let it settle in (once you add some additional furnishings, read: cork bark or fake leaves/plants) and allow it some peace and quiet in a dark, warm area. Try to hold off feeding for up to a week initially because the stress of rehousing can make them go "off feed" for awhile but don't despair. Give it a few days and try again.

Also I find that the move from Home A to Home B sometimes triggers the instinct to molt if they are ready. I'm not saying this is fact but I find many of my spiders upon coming into my collection seem to not want to eat and molt from days up to weeks later. If it doesn't eat, don't leave the prey with it and take out within 24h typically. Give it time and see what comes of it.

OK, now that my coffee has gotten cold sitting here typing I'll get it back in the microwave and allow you to read up and learn from the excellent keepers here and abroad.

Cheers,

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does my enclosure look like it's got enough ventilation? The other side is pretty much the same as you see in that one pic, and also there's a bunch of holes on one side of the lid.

I burned those all in there with a soldering iron.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok what do you guys think of this set up? I'm afraid it's about the best I can do right now.

It's part of a vine and a little oak tree branch. Both cut live, washed off with really hot water, and baked.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks likea good base for webbing and a nice hiding spot for her. Just watch for mold. It's really easy to get if they are damp. But I think it's good if there is no mold (or bugs, which abking probably took care of).

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks likea good base for webbing and a nice hiding spot for her. Just watch for mold. It's really easy to get if they are damp. But I think it's good if there is no mold (or bugs, which abking probably took care of).
Agree.. That vine will suck moisture up pretty well I'm guessing and it may mold so keep an eye on it. Either a white or green fuzzy surface exposes itself I would remove.

Cheers!

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Definitely an A. Metallica and yes that heavy bark will mold eventually because you'll have to keep the enclosure moist and humid. Usually about 2-3 weeks it'll be covered in green. But the kool-aid enclosure is good for the 2" to 3" specimens. If she/he is around 4" or bigger I'd go with a clear pale or 5.5 gal enclosure. I use clear pales for my Avics. Bought them from Michael's.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cork Bark is what most people would suggest.

Not knowing where you are from, some LPS's have it, some people on the boards sell it. I know Kevin (Newflvr on the forum here) was selling it and does at the shows locally. Don't know if he still has some or not.

The cork bark resists mold much better than say grape branches (which you see in petco) and what not.

Joe - CAK

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are LPSs the only brick and mortar places U can get it?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are LPSs the only brick and mortar places U can get it?
I'm sure you can find it online if you wish to order in..

Just search around for Cork Bark "rounds" or "slab" is typically how I see them listed. Below is a link to Google shopping which may help you find an online retailer but I have never personally used one online for cork.

I'm sure others have and will gladly give you sites they've used and trusted but for me I find it easier to go to the LPS who typically has a variety of pieces I can get my hands on to make sure it's what I'm looking for.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cork...QrQQwAA&biw=1397&bih=1013&fp=8f8e8e195a7f13d3

Cheers,

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely an A. Metallica and yes that heavy bark will mold eventually because you'll have to keep the enclosure moist and humid. Usually about 2-3 weeks it'll be covered in green. .
It is not a given that it will mold. If the OP is able to maintain humidity without getting the wood too wet, it is possible to have real wood without mold that isn't cork bark.

OP~ if you maintain humidity by wetting a portion of the substrate once a week in the opposite corner, mold might not be a problem. The vine though, will almost certainly mold and if it were me, I would remove it. Also, the problem with Avicularia species and top opening enclosures is that they are true arboreals and will usually seek out the highest point to make their tube web. This means that if it is attached to the lid, you will be tearing it every time you open it. The T can rebuild it, but you may not want to keep ripping it up.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Something I've been kind of curious about. How do I feed this tarantula?

As of right now, she's still just chilling on the side of the enclosure. Hasn't done any webbing or anything. I put a cricket in there and I've seen it climb up the stick and vine, but it can't climb the sides. How is the T supposed to get it?

I've also tried tong feeding and she didn't take it.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bump

Does it look like it's in premolt, judging from the abdomen?

Can you tell an Avic is in premolt from the abdomen coloration like you can with say, Brachypelma?

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I would personally say that he/she does look too be in pre-molt. Added the fact that he/she isn't eating on top of that and I would have to concur that you may be correct.