Brachypelmas albopilosum... Eating a watermelon

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
image.jpeg
Recently I fed my Pasimachus depressus beetles bananas and they seemed to like it. I decided to try it with one of my t's and apparently it likes watermelons. I doubt that it's just trying to get hydrated from it, as there is a water dish/cap in the enclosure right beside it. I guess it's the same concept as pre killed prey. Just thought I'd share.

DISCLAIMER: To the newbies that are contemplating feeding only fruits to your t's, don't do it.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I am going to try this...

eat a watermelon or give it to a T?... I am undecided. Watermelon is guaranteed to be purchased though

Trenor

Arachnoprince
ever try it with Tajin?
I have not but my nephew's wife is Mexican in decent and they put in chili power on their watermelon cubes sometime and its pretty good. I'll have to check it out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This doesn't surprise me, a watermelon is 99% water. What you have to ask yourself, will that 1% affect your T, such as the sugar? No one knows, but worth the risk?

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
@BobBarley Tajin is a Mexican seasoning of chili, lime, and salt. Sounds bizarre until you try it. It makes fruit even more juicy. Just don't eat it in front of others. The grunts made whiel consuming tajin can make others feel uncomfortable. They sell it at Walmart now.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Salt on watermelon? Lol never tried that, I'll try it today.

What's Tajin?

Seems to be stopping, fangs aren't in the piece of watermelon anymore, but man that guy did work!
View attachment 216692
Did the abdomen plump up at all?

check to see if it defecates.

Did it eat any seeds? If so, please update us if you can get any watermelon slings.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Did the abdomen plump up at all?

check to see if it defecates.

Did it eat any seeds? If so, please update us if you can get any watermelon slings.
The abdomen did plump, but I doubt there will be any watermelon slings... :smug:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
This doesn't surprise me, a watermelon is 99% water. What you have to ask yourself, will that 1% affect your T, such as the sugar? No one knows, but worth the risk?
Right, which is part of the reason I chose watermelon as a sort of "test" out of curiosity. I doubt the 1% will do any harm, but I am keeping an eye on it and will probably not try this again.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I personally think this is the most adorable thing I've seen all day. The species couldn't have been more perfect.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I personally think this is the most adorable thing I've seen all day. The species couldn't have been more perfect.
I see someone got a custom title and is the name is a reference to a Euler disk ? That's something an engineer should be familiar with .

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I see someone got a custom title and is the name is a reference to a Euler disk ? That's something an engineer should be familiar with .
EulersK stands for Euler's Constant. Since so much of mathematics is done in German, and the German word for "constant" is "konstant", you'll see the letter "k" be used for a constant in mathematics most often. Hence, EulersK.

My undergraduate work was in mathematics, and I'm currently working on an MS in Industrial Engineering. Hence, Arachnoengineer :D

Beautifully nerdy, eh?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
EulersK stands for Euler's Constant. Since so much of mathematics is done in German, and the German word for "constant" is "konstant", you'll see the letter "k" be used for a constant in mathematics most often. Hence, EulersK.

My undergraduate work was in mathematics, and I'm currently working on an MS in Industrial Engineering. Hence, Arachnoengineer :D

Beautifully nerdy, eh?
I myself was a business major but my son is an applied math major . I bought him a grab bag of science toys from Amazon and one of them is Euler disk . Since he spent the afternoon explaining to me the math behind a rattle back I'll wait until tomorrow to get him to have him explain the Euler Constant . This is going to be a math heavy weekend , there's about ten more little gizmos in that grab bag .

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I myself was a business major but my son is an applied math major . I bought him a grab bag of science toys from Amazon and one of them is Euler disk . Since he spent the afternoon explaining to me the math behind a rattle back I'll wait until tomorrow to get him to have him explain the Euler Constant . This is going to be a math heavy weekend , there's about ten more little gizmos in that grab bag .
If he doesn't know who Euler is, have him look into him. The guy had the cheat codes for mathematics. It's common practice to name theorems after the person who discovered them after Euler. People talk about Newton being a genius - nothing compared to Euler.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
If he doesn't know who Euler is, have him look into him. The guy had the cheat codes for mathematics. It's common practice to name theorems after the person who discovered them after Euler. People talk about Newton being a genius - nothing compared to Euler.
I want cheat codes for mathematics...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I always say that everyone loves watermelon, but I never had the spiders in mind. Very interesting result.
I don't think that I would be concerned about the 1% non water contents of watermelon. Look at all the different items that crickets eat that the spiders would consume secondary with the crickets? None of that seems to do them any harm, so I doubt very much that the watermelon would. I bet you people even feed their crickets watermelon sometimes.
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.