Brachypelma verdezi care?

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Im Buying my 3rd T soon and its going to be a brachypelma verdezi sling. Ive been told not to listen to care sheets online so i would like some help on how to take care of it. What humidity should i try to keep it at? Tempreture? Enclosure? And any other details i need to know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im Buying my 3rd T soon and its going to be a brachypelma verdezi sling. Ive been told not to listen to care sheets online so i would like some help on how to take care of it. What humidity should i try to keep it at? Tempreture? Enclosure? And any other details i need to know.
What are your other Ts you own? You may keep this T like a B. smithi. No real need to hit a magic humidity number, you will drive yourself crazy in doing so.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've never owned one but the care is the same for that genus, at the end. About the enclosure size, here depends; I tend to work with little slings using little enclosures, I'm not a fan of too much space. Something like this, however:

https://www.tarantulasbristol.co.uk/?36,containers

For the humidity, since slings are a bit more delicate than juve/adult specimen, you can use a bit of sphagnum, a little water dish, or, like I do, with a plastic pipette keep the substrate slightly moist.

Temperatures IMO is nothing to worry about, room temperature (now) is perfect.

Btw, just for asking, do you know the exact size (more or less) of the sling?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a juvenile and, like @viper69 mentioned above, they are kept like any other Brachypelma. Keep the substrate dry and trickle a little water down the side (do not mist), or a bit of damp sphagnum to keep a bit of their enclosure moist (but not wet) and to provide water.
I think they are just as hardy as their more popular cousins.
I have to tell you that you need to be prepared to get a little bit of attitude from this species. I would not call my girl 'defensive', but she can be very skittish and is one of the few that I am concerned about bolting from her enclosure when I open it. She is one of the few to attack the water when I refill her water dish and she guards it with her life.
I do love her, though. She is really gorgeous and I don't know why they are not more popular.
_DSC3702-2-2.jpg

Taken a couple of days ago after moulting.
_DSC8669-2.jpg

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
What are your other Ts you own? You may keep this T like a B. smithi. No real need to hit a magic humidity number, you will drive yourself crazy in doing so.
I own a sling N. Chromatus and a juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens female

cold blood

Staff member
With regards to the verdezi:

Keep them exactly like you would ANY terrestrial sling...on damp substrate until its home is big enough for a water dish....then, like any Brachy, slowly as the t grows, it can get drier...as an adult you keep it exactly like any other adult Brachy...dry sub, a hide and a water dish.

For temps, as a sling, just keep it over 70...as an adult, anything between 60 and 90 is just fine.

There is never any reason to need to measure humidity numbers, get that out of your head, its only going to make you over think something that's otherwise simple. No t on the planet requires an exact number specific anything.

Specifics get people in trouble...there isn't any reason to even deal with specifics.

Last edited:

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
Keep them exactly like you would ANY terrestrial sling...on damp substrate until its home is big enough for a water dish, then slowly as the t grows, it can get drier...as an adult you keep it exactly like any other adult Brachy...dry sub, a hide and a water dish.

For temps, as a sling, just keep it over 70...as an adult, anything between 60 and 90 is just fine.

There is never any reason to need to measure humidity numbers, get that out of your head, its only going to make you over think something that's otherwise simple. No t on the planet requires an exact number specific anything.

Specifics get people in trouble...there isn't any reason to even deal with specifics.
Thank you for the help

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep my AF C. cyano the same as I do for all my AF Brachypelmas.

68F night/75 day- water dish, dry sub.

cold blood

Staff member
I keep my AF C. cyano the same as I do for all my AF Brachypelmas.

68F night/75 day- water dish, dry sub.
Chromatus likes a little more moisture throughout life, but they're also pretty drought resistant...they also prefer a little warmer temps, although anything over 70 is just fine.....super fast growers with excellent appetites.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chromatus likes a little more moisture throughout life, but they're also pretty drought resistant...they also prefer a little warmer temps, although anything over 70 is just fine.....super fast growers with excellent appetites.
I've never owned a N. chromatus yet believe it or not. Maybe 1 day. I've heard of their growth and appetite too.

cold blood

Staff member
I've never owned a N. chromatus yet believe it or not. Maybe 1 day. I've heard of their growth and appetite too.
Because they have huge sacs, you can often get little guys really really cheap, snap a few up, they're a great spider to raise from a small sling....One of my females is nearing maturity, eventually I'll pair her, so you'll probably get some eventually;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Because they have huge sacs, you can often get little guys really really cheap, snap a few up, they're a great spider to raise from a small sling....One of my females is nearing maturity, eventually I'll pair her, so you'll probably get some eventually;)
Hehe sounds good.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I have a pair of these (not yet mature). I'll have to see if you are interested in the male once I'm done with him.

Great spiders. But I am biased when it comes to Brachypelma.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Hey Venessa. I Have a verdesi and I agree with you about the escaping and how they are. I like this one alot more then my last although I like it alot too my first spider it was. perhaps you could help me with my verdesi problem. and im looking at these for an enclosure Id like a bit bigger of one though , as he/she is fairly active around the tank and always out chillin more then in the burrow. it didnt take long at all for it to know the Food click when I pop the top. Man are those things cool. gotto be carefull though. I wouldnt call it nessesarily a novice breed. I wonder what there bites are like poisonwise. not willing to guinypig it