Brachypelma Vagans

tarantulamex

Arachnopeon
Hi I am new to arachnoboards ( which by the way is great ).I have a question about where B. Vagans are found in Mexico. All that I have read says they are from the south of Mexico. I live here in Mexico and I have found them from San Luis which is north of me to Oaxaca in the south,from VeraCruz in the east to Guerrero in the west.I am a little confused. Can anybody please explain.I sure would like to get this cleared up because I have three B.Vagans now and two came from the La Huasteca in San Luis and the other is from near Acapulco in Guerrero. Thanks for all the help. Tarantulamex here in Mexico.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Q for you as well

Tarantulamex. Welcome to arachnoboards. I can't help much with your question. There's a good website specifically on Brachys with general range maps, etc- Brachypelma.co.uk.

While I'm at it. I'm curious how common a few other Brachys are within their ranges- namely albiceps, annitha, auratum and baumgarteni? Living in Mexico City I figure you're not that far away from their ranges. I'm fairly sure collecting of any of the above is illegal- merely curious.

:)

Terry

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulamex. Welcome to arachnoboards. I can't help much with your question. There's a good website specifically on Brachys with general range maps, etc- Brachypelma.co.uk.

While I'm at it. I'm curious how common a few other Brachys are within their ranges- namely albiceps, annitha, auratum and baumgarteni? Living in Mexico City I figure you're not that far away from their ranges. I'm fairly sure collecting of any of the above is illegal- merely curious.

Terry
Shoot! I would be asking about the Psalmopoeus victorii.. I have read it comes from Mexico... (Road Trip anyone?) {D

To the OP.. I dont think I can answer your question reguarding the Brachys there.. Good luck finding your answer.. As well.. Welcome to the boards...

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
T-Mex, B vagans are indigenous to the Yucatan Peninsula (Quintana Roo, Yucatan, Campeche, and probably Chiapas and Tabasco), and maybe even on into Guatemala and Belize.

I was in the Peninsula recently, and encountered one in the wild - you'll find him on this thread ... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=187137

(Road Trip anyone?)
Did I hear the magic words "road trip?" To Yucatan? SIGN ME UP, REDNECK!!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Shoot! I would be asking about the Psalmopoeus victorii.. (Road Trip anyone?)
I'm sure tempted. Then again I might push the envelope and collect some Brachys :eek:. Therefore, it might not be such a good idea for me. {D

Naah, I wouldn't- but in all honesty, the thought might cross my mind ;P

Terry

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure tempted. Then again I might push the envelope and collect some Brachys :eek:. Therefore, it might not be such a good idea for me. {D

Naah, I wouldn't- but in all honesty, the thought might cross my mind ;P

Terry
Hmm.. In Mexico.... Looking at all sorts of bugs that need to be in each of our collections... Yeah.. The thought would never cross MY mind... :rolleyes: Nope.. Not at all.. {D

tarantulamex

Arachnopeon

Terry
Ok, first I would like to thank all who have responded to my question. Yes I found my answer from a guy living in Guadalajara. He said that B. vagans is the only Brachypelma that lives in almost all Mexico. All other Brachypelmas live on the Pacific coast in the coastal mountains. All are threatened in their natural habitat because collectors are taking way too many for an illegal pet trade here.Also Terry where I live is actually pretty far from the coast,about 5 hours minumum depending on where I want to go.The fire knees that I have were collected illegally and I rescued them from a market. They were almost dead when I bought them. Any one who wishes to see these beautiful t's in the wild can come to Mexico and search for them but the rule is "HANDS OFF ".Thanks to all for welcoming me to arachnoboards. I hope to be more active in the club as I become more knowledgeable in this hobby. Once again thanks to all. Tarantulamex