Brachypelma trying to bite through mesh

MoonInTheStars

Arachnopeon
I'm a fairly new tarantula keeper, having kept my female adult Brachypelma Boehmei for about 7-8ish months now. Only recently (about last week) she's been climbing to the top of her enclosure and seems to be trying to bite through the metal mesh covering. Is this normal behavior or could it be caused by a bad enclosure/incorrect care? I don't think she's hungry since I tried feeding her about three days ago but declined any food.

Also, should I be concerned about her being able to get out? I don't have much money right now but I'd be willing to get another mesh-less enclosure if necessary.

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Replace mesh with drilled acrylic for a magnitude of reasons. Broken fangs. Chew through and escape. Lost legs. Hang by tarsal claws until death. Etc... etc...

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Whether or not she could get out, replace the screen. Your spider can get caught in it and lose a leg or take a fall.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I don't have much money right now but I'd be willing to get another mesh-less enclosure if necessary.
Check the following link:

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Mesh and T's don't mix. The claws on their foot pads can get stuck in it, they can chew threw it, or horrifically in your T's case it might get a fang stuck in it.

Not sure where you live, but most hardware stores sell very cheap sheets of acrilic or plastic and a means to cut it to your desired size that you can melt air holes in with a hot nail or soldering iron. Cut out the mesh then super glue or hot glue the plastic in place and bam your T is safer.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Also, should I be concerned about her being able to get out?
Yes. Mesh screens are a no-no. You should also be concerned about her getting stuck and losing a leg, or falling and losing her life depending on the vertical distance. Acrylic sheets are cheap at homedepot if you want to make a new lid, plastic shoeboxes are cheap at tons of stores if you just want to get a new enclosure. Cost would probably be about the same.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Behaviour-wise, I would say it's normal for Ts to cruise the lid once in a while and see if they can go further. My female boehmei does this quite often. She is housed in a Kritter Keeper, so no mesh, just grilled vents all over the lid. The odds of her getting her feet stuck are non-existent as far as I've observed many times. Replace the mesh asap.

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
You could go the acrylic lid route, or go a faster and cheaper route by putting your T in one of these instead. Perfect size for a medium-sized terrestrial and nothing dangerous in it.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That setup is a death trap replace lid.

This is normal for any convict.

Behaviour-wise, I would say it's normal for Ts to cruise the lid once in a while and see if they can go further. My female boehmei does this quite often. She is housed in a Kritter Keeper, so no mesh, just grilled vents all over the lid. The odds of her getting her feet stuck are non-existent as far as I've observed many times. Replace the mesh asap.
I’ve observed Avic getting stuck in screen, it happens. I changed that to acrylic.

What in tarnations did I just watch?
Someone with a setup that is way too tall
Perfect for people who tell us that can’t happen.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Woven mesh is bad for tarantula enclosures, tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck where the wires overlap and either lose legs or kill themselves trying to get free, some tarantulas can even chew through it and escape.

Expanded metal and perforated sheet metal are both safer alternatives that are widely used in UK/European enclosures.

PSM vs EM.jpg

Alternatively, you can get a sheet of acrylic cut to size, drill/melt a bunch of holes into it, and then fix it to the underside of the mesh with aquarium silicone.

DaniB

Arachnopeon
Yeah, find an alternative as soon as possible...

Woven mesh is bad for tarantula enclosures, tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck where the wires overlap and either lose legs or kill themselves trying to get free, some tarantulas can even chew through it and escape.

Expanded metal and perforated sheet metal are both safer alternatives that are widely used in UK/European enclosures.

View attachment 382269

Alternatively, you can get a sheet of acrylic cut to size, drill/melt a bunch of holes into it, and then fix it to the underside of the mesh with aquarium silicone.
That was terrible to watch!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
ditch the mesh, replace with acrylic

the video painfully explains why

people: In the fly tying world there is a thing called a bodkin, it is a long, fine tipped needle with a handle. They are $3-5 US. They are great for freeing stuck claws if you have to. But please, just ditch the mesh

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
Guy sees his T hanging to its death. Films it, puts crappy music over it. Posts on YouTube thinking it’s hardcore lol
Honestly, filming that is tantamount to animal cruelty. Whoever it is, is NOT helping the spider, just trying to get views by filming it ??? Ugh.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I don't have a YouTube account or whatever is needed to comment. All of you that do should hammer them

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
I don't have a YouTube account or whatever is needed to comment. All of you that do should hammer them
Unfortunately commenting and giving videos the thumbs down just tells the youtube algorithm that they should reccomend the channel/video more because it engages people.