Brachypelma spp. - Invasion!

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Hello T enthusiast's!

Like my every post - I apologize if my English isn't too good it's not my native language so bare with me ;)

Today I decided to make one of my T shelves a specific Brachypelma spp. shelf.

Thanks to that I made some pictures (Yes I know they are terrible but just wanted to share if someone shares the interest for "Brachy's". Also refreshed their enclosures etc.

How many Brachypelma spp. do You own fellow hobbyst's? Do You also think they are bit underrated? (Because of the fact they have the "label" of being beginners Tarantulas only)

Share You're toughts :)

For now I own :

Brachypelma albiceps - (juvenile)
Brachypelma albopilosum - x2 (juvenile & sling)
Brachypelma angustum - female (juvenile)
Brachypelma annitha - (juvenile)
Brachypelma auratum - (juvenile)
Brachypelma boehmei - (sling)
Brachypelma emilia - (juvenile)
Brachypelma klaasi - (sling)
Brachypelma schroederi - (juvenile)
Brachypelma smithi - (juvenile)
Brachypelma vagans - (sling)
Brachypelma verdezi - (sling)

and Brachypelma kahlenbergi - female (juvenile) - but she's not with me yet (expecting delivery in next week)

I'm not sure about the smithi/annitha changes if they are up already or no - my both are the "old" smithi and "old" annitha ;)

Share You're own Brachypelma spp. pictures what's Youre favourite species? Let's share some info - have a nice day all!

Last edited:

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Nice bunch of Brachys! They are my favorites. I have 7 B. smithi slings coming next week. Would love to find some B. albiceps soon.

Kenley

Arachnopeon
@Kenley Cool collection, man! ;)

@Vikingsblood Yeah, the B. albiceps is on my wishlist too. But I saw only one for sale in my country. They are really rare here. :(
Thanks :) and about albiceps I tought they are queit popular outside Europe ;) and by the way anyone saw B. fossorium live? I'm really curious about that species. Also trying to hunt down the sabulosum to my collection :) and the "not hobby" form of Curly Hair" heard they are sometimes avaiable.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Thanks :) and about albiceps I tought they are ueit popular outside Europe ;) and by the way anyone saw B. fossorium live? I'm really curious about that species. Also trying to hunt down the sabulosum to my collection :) and the "not hobby" form of Curly Hair" heard they are sometimes avaiable.
Well, I am a European too. ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
@Kenley Cool collection, man! ;)

@Vikingsblood Yeah, the B. albiceps is on my wishlist too. But I saw only one for sale in my country. They are really rare here. :(
Well, since you are in Hungary you may not be very far from Vienna... The very best Brachypelma breeder I know of is actually in Vienna and he has very reasonable prices, too. If you are interested I guess I can find his email adress - I got my albiceps and a lot of my other Brachys from him.

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Yeah they do grow very slow - from my experience the vagans are growing fastest from Brachypelma genus. But I may be wrong.

That Brachypelma breeder sounds very interesting! :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hello T enthusiast's!

Like my every post - I apologize if my English ain't too good it's not my native language so bare with me ;)

Today I decided to make one of my T shelves a specific Brachypelma spp. shelf.

Thanks to that I made some pictures (Yes I know they are terrible but just wanted to share if someone shares the interest for "Brachy's". Also refreshed their enclosures etc.

How many Brachypelma spp. do You own fellow hobbyst's? Do You also think they are bit underrated? (Because of the fact they have the "label" of being beginners Tarantulas only)

Share You're toughts :)

For now I own :

Brachypelma albiceps - (juvenile)
Brachypelma albopilosum - x2 (juvenile & sling)
Brachypelma angustum - female (juvenile)
Brachypelma annitha - (juvenile)
Brachypelma auratum - (juvenile)
Brachypelma boehmei - (sling)
Brachypelma emilia - (juvenile)
Brachypelma klaasi - (sling)
Brachypelma schroederi - (juvenile)
Brachypelma smithi - (juvenile)
Brachypelma vagans - (sling)
Brachypelma verdezi - (sling)

and Brachypelma kahlenbergi - female (juvenile) - but she's not with me yet (expecting delivery in next week)

I'm not sure about the smithi/annitha changes if they are up already or no - my both are the "old" smithi and "old" annitha ;)

Share You're own Brachypelma spp. pictures what's Youre favourite species? Let's share some info - have a nice day all!
Nice new additions man! I love Brachypelma spp. as well I've got quite a few, they are definitely an awesome low maintenance spider! Those all look like slings, generally they are called juveniles once they look like miniature adults. Here's a pic for reference of my B.albiceps http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/b-albiceps.41079/

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Did You guys heard about the "Red Rump" Brachypelma differences? I'm not certain in 100% but I found once a cool article on this and that photo was there :

View media item 41138
From left to right - Brachypelma sabulosum, Brachypelma epicureanum, Brachypelma vagans, Brachypelma angustum

I know as a fact that epicureanum is the darkest one, vagans shouldn't have red hairs on last par of legs and angustum has more brownish than red abdomin hairs but we should remember specimen's can vary ;)

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Main differences are in leg patterns hairs on the legs and abdomin hairs ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You were taught right, my friend.
Sorry to rain on your parade Moak...but that is not english. That's slang :smug:

Op, you might want to replace 'ain't' with 'isn't' unless you want to sound like a redneck or rapstar :D
*runs for cover*
(Nice collection btw :p)

MGery92

Arachnosquire
@Kenley @boina Thank you very much for the help, but the Hungarian tarantula community is relatively small (this is a tiny country too :) ). There are 4-5 notable breeders here and mostly this little community keeps them up. So, I would like to support them in the future too. I hope you understand it. :angelic: Anyway, thanks for the help. :)

Kenley

Arachnopeon
@Kenley @boina Thank you very much for the help, but the Hungarian tarantula community is relatively small (this is a tiny country too :) ). There are 4-5 notable breeders here and mostly this little community keeps them up. So, I would like to support them in the future too. I hope you understand it. :angelic: Anyway, thanks for the help. :)
Same here in Poland ;)

cold blood

Staff member
Not all, and not always slow growers....but they can certainly grow slow.

My albiceps was the slowest growing sling ever....stupid slow growing and a pain quite frankly. it would go months without eating as a small sling
...went 177 days without a meal at 1/2"..growth per molt was seemingly nothing....but by 1.25" it all changed....it suddenly became a great eater and its growth really picked up....in all, a rewarding t to raise...just beautiful. Worst eating sling i ever had...as a sub adult, its one of the best eaters I have.

Conversely, my smithi (now hamorri) was a steady grower its whole life...going from 3/4"-4" in just 2 years...and its a confirmed female, too.

B. vagans are supposed to grow faster, but mine were all a pain when small...much like albiceps...but like albiceps, they grow faster once they get over 1.25", but then slow way down by 3".

B. sabolusum grew faster, that one surprised me like the smithi.

B. albopilosum grew quicker as a sling as they were always great eaters, even when small...but by 3", growth slowed a bunch.

Nice genus of great looking species....I'd really like a klassi some day...but not at the prices I typically see.

Last edited: