Brachypelma smithi temperament

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
So lately my Brachypelma smithi named Jeremy has been acting up. Instead of kicking hairs like any other Mexican Red Knee, he's been throwing up a threat posture. Before his last molt he never use to act like this. Any idea what happened?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Tarantulas change behavior all the time. Before her last molt, my B. emilia was an absolute sweetheart. Now she's skittish and defensive.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah, its not limited to B. smithi. Pretty much any tarantula can change behavior after a molt. My B. smithi used to never kick hairs when she was younger, but after her most recent molt she suddenly decided that kicking hairs was an awesome past time and does it whenever anything gets close to her. She also went from staying in her hide for about 23 hours a day to being out and about constantly.

Tarantulas are weirdos. Just gotta roll with it.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My smithi threats just before he/she moults, after he/she never threats at all.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mine seem to be the same as before they moulted... hair kicking fiends, but no threat poses.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Mine seem to be the same as before they moulted... hair kicking fiends, but no threat poses.
I'm so happy that I don't have your reaction to the setae. I do find it interesting how different humans can react to it, though. Euathlus species apparently have mild urticating setae, but they're almost as bad as Theraphosa in my opinion.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They have personalities & mood swings, they're just unpredictable. I always treat my spiders based on what they can do, not what they usually do. Even a calm B smithi often has a fast and violent feeding response. It's best to use forceps/tongs and keep you hands away from all your spiders.

Remember too, that cage is theirs, the only thing in the world that's theirs. They don't like intruders, especially large ones.