Brachypelma Smithi Spiderling Won't Eat - Please Help!

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
Greetings!

I purchased a Brachypelma Smithi ½” spiderling last November and it has only eaten twice. The first time it ate was shortly after arrival. I gave it a Red Runner nymph, which came with the starter kit. It ate once again about a few weeks later when I gave it a very small piece of pre-killed mealworm.

Since then I have tried giving it very small pieces of pre-killed feeder insects including crickets and mealworms but it has not eaten them. It’s been about six months since it last ate and I’m becoming a bit concerned.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Mashizi

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It’s been about six months since it last ate and I’m becoming a bit concerned.
It is strange that 1/2” sling refuses to eat for five months, but it is not abnormal either.

You cannot force it to eat if it refuses to eat.

Being patient is a key part of tarantula keeping.

rock

Arachnoknight
Just keep offering every week and make sure it has water to drink. They can go off feed for months like that, I have noticed mine prefer live pin head crickets over scavenging.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Pics of the spider and the enclosure? As long as the abdomen isn’t small and shriveled it should be fine. I’ve had slings fast for longer than that.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Chances are, it's not smithi but hamorii.
How are you keeping it? My hamorii sling is an absolute beast and feeds every time I offer a meal. It's tripled in size over the last 6 months

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Have you tried feeding the roach nymphs again? It sounds like you have only tried prekilled. At 1/2in it’s more than big enough for live prey. Also how big of an enclosure is it in. In a condiment deli cup would be best at this size. Put up a picture please :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What temps are you using?

You can’t force them to eat.

Maybe your T is fat, which means it won’t eat.

No pics not helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the quick response!

This is my first tarantula and my first post so I really appreciate the support. I have been keeping my home around 68 degrees since November but it’s a little warmer now. Per request, I’ve attached pictures. The habitat is a “Tiny Terrestrial”

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Attachments

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Well it definitely doesn’t look to be in premolt, but I have had slings go off food with abdomens about this size. It’s uncommon ime, usually as slings they fatten up like ticks (if you let them) before going off food, but it’s happened. Temps are a bit on the low side, not “bad” by any means but it can lead to slower growth and decreased appetite, as well as long fasts during the cooler months. Overall though your T looks very healthy, so I wouldn’t stress.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I'm not exactly sure of the substrate but I think it's coco-fiber. It came with "The Complete Package" <edit> .
Dude, you need to bone up on substrates. There is tons of info here and even on reddit. If Tanya sent you that substrate then that's what you need to stick to until you get the hang of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Dude, you need to bone up on substrates. There is tons of info here and even on reddit. If Tanya sent you that substrate then that's what you need to stick to until you get the hang of it.
Substrate is shockingly complicated. As I learned, dirt... isn't really just dirt.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
You should keep hamorii slings a little bit warmer (24-25 degree celsius). They will eat and grow much better!

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
Thanks all for your support!

I’d like to warm up the area around my sling’s enclosure.

Here is the shelf space I have to work with.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks again!

Attachments

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
I'll let more experienced keepers confirm/refute what I say, but... based on the last pic, I don't let the room with my slings go under 70F. I think the colder, well, cooler... is likely to slow down their metabolisms, causing them to not want to eat. I use a small space heater to keep my temps more in the 75F range.

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
I'll let more experienced keepers confirm/refute what I say, but... based on the last pic, I don't let the room with my slings go under 70F. I think the colder, well, cooler... is likely to slow down their metabolisms, causing them to not want to eat. I use a small space heater to keep my temps more in the 75F range.
That makes sense!

Unfortunately heating the room is not an option.

The room I keep my sling in is very large.

Also temps like 75F are uncomfortable to me and my family.

Thanks again!

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
Put your sling somewhere warmer. I mean... if the heat can't go to the sling, take the sling to the heat. If that's the only space you have to work with, and you can't supply additional warmth in that room, I don't know that there IS an answer. Your sling will just have a perpetually lower metabolism.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can keep your box inside a cabinet or container that itself is warmer.