Brachypelma Smithi Questions

Michael Morgan

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I acquired a Brachypelma smithi sling abfew months ago. It molted on January 21st of this year and everything went well. It was eating fairly regularly for a few weeks and then just stopped. It hasn't eaten for about a month now. Its opisthosoma is still pretty plump but it hasn't lost any of its hairs. Should I be worried? Does anyone know whether or not it could be fasting instead?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Simply not hungry. A month isn't really much to bat an eye at, I wouldn't even call that a fast.

Losing setae ("hairs") is not a sign of premolt - that's a myth. What size is it? Their growth rate slows down significantly and they begin to display that infamous fasting at roughly 2". A picture would help (as always), but I'm sure you're perfectly fine. Just be sure to keep a full water dish, they'll continue to drink even when they're not eating.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
B. smithi (and most desert species) can go for a very long time with no food. It could be full, or in pre-molt. This is normal. Keep the water topped off, and offer it food every couple of weeks in case it gets hungry.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure you have a bowl of fresh water there! Even slings and ADULTS with FAT abdomens will drink water. You can never predict when a T will drink even when the abdomen is large and plump looking.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Keep in mind that slings molt far more frequently than adults so it could just be gearing up for the next molt.

As others have said keep a full water dish in there.

Also, please post some pictures of the spider and its enclosure.

Michael Morgan

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone. This is my first tarantula so I don't want to inadverdently harm it so I really appreciate the advice. I didn't want to out a water dish in the enclosure because I'm afraid its too small and will drown. I've been putting a few drops of water directly onto the substrate every few days instead

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks everyone. This is my first tarantula so I don't want to inadverdently harm it so I really appreciate the advice. I didn't want to out a water dish in the enclosure because I'm afraid its too small and will drown. I've been putting a few drops of water directly onto the substrate every few days instead
Well, slings can't drown (they float), but great setup you have there! I usually don't offer a water dish at that size either, just because it's a bit of a hassle. I lightly spritz the side of the enclosure for drinking water every other day or so. Many people offer water dishes. Pick your flavor.

But yeah. Premolt.

Michael Morgan

Arachnopeon
Well, slings can't drown (they float), but great setup you have there! I usually don't offer a water dish at that size either, just because it's a bit of a hassle. I lightly spritz the side of the enclosure for drinking water every other day or so. Many people offer water dishes. Pick your flavor.

But yeah. Premolt.
Right on thanks!

Kayti

Arachnopeon
My B. Smithi loves it when I mist water, and I also keep a shallow dish. She's in a 29gal enclosure by herself and she LOVES the extra space. She makes webbing around her den, but has a separate sunning spot, and she just felt great enough to molt. She finally came out today!! Loving this extra space. :)

Also, I put about 1 cricket every 2 weeks in there with her. She'll eat when she's hungry. If the cricket is still in there, I wait. Don't overfeed, because other animals cause undue stress. Also, no need to worry if they don't move/eat for a long time. B. Smithi's can go for 6mo without food/water, but it's not recommended.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
If you have a small piece of Lego or a house from monopoly game ... turn it over.... presto perfect water dish.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
My B. Smithi loves it when I mist water, and I also keep a shallow dish. She's in a 29gal enclosure by herself and she LOVES the extra space. She makes webbing around her den, but has a separate sunning spot, and she just felt great enough to molt. She finally came out today!! Loving this extra space.
What do you mean by sunning spot, do you have a heat lamp in there?

Also your B.smithi may appreciate some extra moisture but misting isn't necessary, just over fill the water dish once in a while.

cold blood

Staff member
My B. Smithi loves it when I mist water, and I also keep a shallow dish. She's in a 29gal enclosure by herself and she LOVES the extra space. She makes webbing around her den, but has a separate sunning spot, and she just felt great enough to molt. She finally came out today!! Loving this extra space. :)

Also, I put about 1 cricket every 2 weeks in there with her. She'll eat when she's hungry. If the cricket is still in there, I wait. Don't overfeed, because other animals cause undue stress. Also, no need to worry if they don't move/eat for a long time. B. Smithi's can go for 6mo without food/water, but it's not recommended.
**face palm**

Michael Morgan

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone! She molted successfully a few weeks ago and now she's getting nice and fat. I'm thinking about rehousing her soon but I'm not sure about what container to use. I have some 8 oz. deli cups around but I think they might be a little too shallow. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone! She molted successfully a few weeks ago and now she's getting nice and fat. I'm thinking about rehousing her soon but I'm not sure about what container to use. I have some 8 oz. deli cups around but I think they might be a little too shallow. Any suggestions?
I agree with your assessment, 8 oz is a touch short. I'd keep it in a 16 oz, and just keep the substrate level higher. Should give you ample room for a water dish and a hide :)

cold blood

Staff member

16oz deli...keep it like this.