Brachypelma smithi moulting

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know this isn't the picture section although I was lucky enough to get some pictures of my Brachypelma smithi moulting today and thought it would be kinda cool to show the process......

Kinda cute ain't she?

nicolevins

Arachnopeon
Looks like a female to me, popcangenie :D

Anyway, nice pics you got! She sure is a pretty girl :)

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its actually not male or female. You're all wrong. Notice how it duplicated itself. Thats how B.smithi reproduce. They're like some sort of amoeba.

...seriously!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, your 10% right :)
You need a bit more practice!

Nice lookin' spider. How big is she now?
Cheers...

She's just under 4.5" now at a guess, the spermathecae is developing fairly well isn't it???

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel bad for popcangenie. I'm pretty new at sexing and even I can completely tell that it's female. Look at the opening of that spermathecae!

And Yes, she is very cute.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Cheers...

She's just under 4.5" now at a guess, the spermathecae is developing fairly well isn't it???
Yup! Part of the reason I asked is because my girl is about the same size and her spermathecae looks very similar. I guessed they might be very similar in size.

Look at the opening of that spermathecae!
wait, what?
That doesn't make any sense.
Looks like you need some practice too!

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup! Part of the reason I asked is because my girl is about the same size and her spermathecae looks very similar. I guessed they might be very similar in size.

wait, what?
That doesn't make any sense.
Looks like you need some practice too!
Makes perfect sense. It's open. Males are a line that doesn't open. Correct?

Edit: If this isn't right, Please correct me. The male is just a line or nothing there at all. The female is a visible opening or what looks like lips. Is that right!?!?!

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Makes perfect sense. It's open. Males are a line that doesn't open. Correct?
Nope! Not the spermathecae, at least. What you're describing is the epigastric furrow. See those darkish red points on that flap in the molt picture? Those are the spermathecae. Males will not have them. Sexing this way is also the most accurate, and certainly more accurate then vent sexing. The only catch is that you need an intact molt!

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:D
Nope! Not the spermathecae, at least. What you're describing is the epigastric furrow. See those darkish red points on that flap in the molt picture? Those are the spermathecae. Males will not have them. Sexing this way is also the most accurate, and certainly more accurate then vent sexing. The only catch is that you need an intact molt!
OOooo, I get it. I see it now. Thanks alot. :D Now I shall sound less dumb in the future.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lovely girl you have there! Congrats on the sucessful molting!:clap:

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
ive only sexed one tarantula before but i looked at it again and i saw the red flap and i did not think that was a flap before :/ is it different in different sp? my adult female rosies looks alot diferent

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ive only sexed one tarantula before but i looked at it again and i saw the red flap and i did not think that was a flap before :/ is it different in different sp? my adult female rosies looks alot diferent
Its a Brachypelma smithi mate......

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah I reckon after another moult she would be ready to breed with a small mature male......

Spermathecae looks like it may be good to go next time round......