Brachypelma smithi care

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jammer dat dit gebrabbel niet in het engels is. Nu kan de helft niet meelezen.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Chris LXXIX I grilli penso che li abbia mangiati visto che gliene ho dati due e due volte ho trovato delle feci. Comunque sembra che stia per uscire visto che ha cominciato a scavare l'entrata. Riguardo la ciotolina come mai devo tenerla sempre d'occhio?
No, nel senso di lasciarla sempre piena, in genere quando un ragno va in premuta è l'unica cosa che tengo d'occhio :-s

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
@Chris LXXIX Teoricamente quanto tempo rimane rintanata prima di fuoriuscire per mutare? Da qualche parte avevo letto 1-2 settimane circa.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Jammer dat dit gebrabbel niet in het engels is. Nu kan de helft niet meelezen.
Das ist wahr. Ich kann auch nicht helfen, weil ich die Sprache nicht verstehen kann. :sour:

@ whoever said B. smithi/hamorii loves extra space - some specimens may wander more than others. It is not that extra space is harmful, but rather they usually do not utilize all of it so it becomes a waste of space, especially for those who have larger collections.

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
@Chris LXXIX Dopo un mese ho trovato all'interno della tana (ancora "strappata") il ragno cresciuto con la pelle morta da un'altra parte, sembra che la muta sia stata un successo. Volevo sapere dopo quanto tempo posso tornare a dargli da mangiare.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Chris LXXIX Dopo un mese ho trovato all'interno della tana (ancora "strappata") il ragno cresciuto con la pelle morta da un'altra parte, sembra che la muta sia stata un successo. Volevo sapere dopo quanto tempo posso tornare a dargli da mangiare.
Unless something has changed that I am unaware of, @Chris LXXIX is gone.
Sorry, friend.

If you Translate your inquiries to English we can assist you with the care of your B. hamorii

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
Unless something has changed that I am unaware of, @Chris LXXIX is gone.
Sorry, friend.

If you Translate your inquiries to English we can assist you with the care of your B. hamorii
Oh sorry, I didn't know it. However, I wanted to say that yesterday my B. smithi finally molted after being buried in his house for one month. She is still buried in her house and I wanted to know when I could restart feeding her.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Oh sorry, I didn't know it. However, I wanted to say that yesterday my B. smithi finally molted after being buried in his house for one month. She is still buried in her house and I wanted to know when I could restart feeding her.
You want to wait until the fangs are black in color. Depending on the size of the Spider it could take a few days to two weeks. How big is the Spider (diagonal leg span)? You can use centimeters or inches, I'm versed in both ;)

If it is still buried then leave it be. Just make sure the water dish is full as molting takes a lot of energy out of them and it will need to re-hydrate.

Side note: what was once known as B. smithi is now B. hamorii. B. smithi was given to another species. Give this thread a read for a better explanation.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/systematic-revision-of-brachypelma-red-kneed-tarantulas.287508/

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
@darkness975 Finally, after six days from molt, my T came out of his home and I've been able to measure it. It has 6-7 cm diagonal leg span (I'm not very good at measuring things) and the fangs seem black but I'm not sure. However I want to know if I could pick up is old skin which is still inside its house, my friend wanted to watch it.
These are some photos about it:
IMG_20170619_115357.jpg IMG_20170619_115403.jpg IMG_20170619_115405.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
However I want to know if I could pick up is old skin which is still inside its house, my friend wanted to watch it.
If you can grab the exuviae (molt/skin) without injuring the tarantula, then go for it.

Long tongs work great for this sort of task. (I like having a long straight pair and a curved/angled pair for reaching around corners.)

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
@Ungoliant I've recovered the exuviae and during this process I've moved my T in another container temporanely. From what I've seen its fangs seem black. I want to know if I could feed it. IMG-20170620-WA0002.jpg IMG-20170620-WA0001.jpg IMG-20170620-WA0000.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
From what I've seen its fangs seem black. I want to know if I could feed it.
I can't see the fang color that well in these images, but if you are sure they are solid black, it's safe to feed. If you're unsure, I would wait a few more days just to be safe. (The tarantula will be fine even if you wait a few more days to feed it.)

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
@Ungoliant However It molted one week ago and I couldn't control its fangs at the time (it was still buried in his house). Normaly post-molt they should be white because they are still soft?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant However It molted one week ago and I couldn't control its fangs at the time (it was still buried in his house). Normaly post-molt they should be white because they are still soft?
The fangs are only white immediately after the molt. They soon begin to turn a ruddy brown color and finally darken to black. The larger the tarantula, the longer this process takes.

I waited 10 days to resume feeding this 3.5" Grammostola pulchra. (She was 3" in this photo.)

Ragnoso

Arachnosquire
@Ungoliant Regarding the food, is it OK to feed a 5-6 cm diagonal legspan T with two 1.5-2 cm Acheta domesticus at week? When I took them on April they were only 0.5 cm long, now they are grown-up and I don't know if they are too big for my 5 cm spider. I have already feed my T with one of them and it have eaten it without problem, however I don't know if I overfeed it.
P.S. Its chepalothorax is 1 cm long, smaller than the cricket size.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant Regarding the food, is it OK to feed a 5-6 cm diagonal legspan T with two 1.5-2 cm Acheta domesticus at week?
I think the size of the cricket is OK, but you may want to cut back to one a week if your tarantula's abdomen starts getting too plump.