Brachypelma smithi bite?

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
How strong is the venom of a Mexican Red Knee tarantula? Thinking of getting one.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I can pinch grab my B. smithi. The only T i own that doesnt give any kind of defense or even try to run away when i pinch grab. Very unlikely you will get bit if you use common scense. If you did get bit it would be because it thought you were food. NW Ts are not as venomous as OW. Id worry about having bad reactions to the hairs. Ive had no reaction to brachy hairs but i know of a member on here that sold all his brachys because of the reaction he had. Get the smithi! Its a hobby staple like the G. rosea!!:)

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As already mentioned it's not too bad (at least in comparison to other species) and will vary based on your own reaction to it (and how much is injected or wet/dry bite). Check out the bite reports for more info.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I´d worry more about the fangs than the hairs and venom:)
I'm always more worried about it stopping my heart with its cuteness. I just showed mine to my sister and even she had to agree that it has a certain appeal.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B.Smithi are one of the least likley to bite, you would really have to be messing with it before it would even attempt to flick hairs at you then you may get a display...The only thing I ever got from a B.Smithi was a 2" one I had, I was rehousing it and it got just a bit irritated and flicked a few hairs...no big deal though.
Good Luck, they are great Tarantulas

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
you would really have to be messing with it before it would even attempt to flick hairs
I have to somewhat dissagree. My 2" male smithi will kick hairs when i "intrude". usually when ever i drop in a cricket or try to handle her to show people they are not "monsters" so it may depend on age and sex of T. And every T has its own "personality".

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to disagree with you all.. My 4.5" female will throw a threat up faster than she will kick.. She is almost as vial as my P. pulcher.. I got her because of all the comments I heard about them being oh so docile... Well.. I got the evil one.. :clap:

When she does kick hairs I almost cry.. I hate the itch! As soon as the temps lower for shipping.. She is so gone!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have to disagree with you all.. My 4.5" female will throw a threat up faster than she will kick.. She is almost as vial as my P. pulcher.. I got her because of all the comments I heard about them being oh so docile... Well.. I got the evil one.. :clap:

When she does kick hairs I almost cry.. I hate the itch! As soon as the temps lower for shipping.. She is so gone!
Haha id take her off your hands but her fangs would be stuck in them. {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha id take her off your hands but her fangs would be stuck in them. {D
Yeah.. LoL! I normally have my sister help me pack critters when I ship them.. She dont know it yet.. But she is packing that smithi all by her little lonesome... {D

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B Smithi Bite

I agree with the above posts. Bites from this Sp. are extremely rare, but they are very quick to flick hair. I currently own over 40 of them, and have yet to have one throw up a threat display.

jb62

Arachnosquire
mines the same ... kicks hair but no aggression other then with food.
E.campestratus is also a great starter t that is friendly/docile mine has only kicked once and that's because I touch her rear leg with the brush..
But she has been handled with no bad signs ( not by me ) and the guy got her out over ten times to show just how calm she is before I paid for her.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Ive had several B. Smithis, none of which ever showed much aggression. Even my 28 year old, when she got old and crotchety didnt have much of an attitude at all. They are great spiders, one of the best species in my opinion. This is actually the first time Ive gone without one in my collection, and Im currently looking for another.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try the Bite Reports.

Edit: Nevermind. Seems no one there has been bitten by one. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've just been offered a pair of Smithi's (and a female Vagans) for $250. Good deal ? They are apparently a year past 2nd instar. I'm quite keen to own a Smithi - so a pair would be great.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I've just been offered a pair of Smithi's (and a female Vagans) for $250. Good deal ? They are apparently a year past 2nd instar. I'm quite keen to own a Smithi - so a pair would be great.
Seems a little on the high side. Do some shopping around first.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thats quite a high price. You could find a Mature female for around 130ish and a mm for ehh 70ish. I think it would be a good deal if they were mature. but they wont be for another year or so. Shop around. :D

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^^^^^^^^^^ she lives in SA(south africa)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^