Brachypelma smithi and A geniculata both flicking hairs

Neoza

Arachnobaron
hello!

I have a smithi and geniculata in 2 terrariums above eachother. Last week they both flicked hairs and they are balt now. The only thing that changed is that i rehoused a adult female smithi next to them in place of a male geniculata. Enclosures are normally fine. There are sometimes some vibrations because my studio is all made out of wood, but that has been alle the time, and didnt changed in the last week. Does anyone know whar is going on and what i can do about it? I dont want them to be stressed.

Thank You!!

x

Attachments

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Yeah I know that it come back but i thought that they only do that in stress moments? And i found it weird that they didnt do that before.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They flick sometimes just for the heck of it, or so it seems. :D

But it could also be preparing for a moult. My B.smithi kicks heavily before molting, creating several lines of defense against possible intruders or predators for when she is unable to protect herself during the fragile stages of molting. :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
hello!

I have a smithi and geniculata in 2 terrariums above eachother. Last week they both flicked hairs and they are balt now. The only thing that changed is that i rehoused a adult female smithi next to them in place of a male geniculata. Enclosures are normally fine. There are sometimes some vibrations because my studio is all made out of wood, but that has been alle the time, and didnt changed in the last week. Does anyone know whar is going on and what i can do about it? I dont want them to be stressed.

Thank You!!

x
There needs to be a lot more substrate in there. A fall from that height would not be good.

sasker

Arachnoprince
The B. smithi (likely B. hamorii by now ;)) flicks hair to impress the new lady. The A. geniculata flicks hair because he misses his old pall. Tarantulas are highly social animals so don't mess to much with their neighbours. :troll:

My B. harmorii also kicks hairs a lot when she is due for a molt. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It is perfectly fine.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've never had a T flick hairs at me; but mine do line their enclosures with hair-embedded webbing -- I assume as a first line of defense. I know they do this because it's not difficult for me to accidentally have contact with a few itchy hairs while completing enclosure maintenance (especially when pulling a water dish, etc.).
None of mine flicked to the point of baldness except my A seemanni. Within a few months of her last moult (18+ months ago) she had already re-balded her rump.

I guess my point is that Ts who flick enough hair to bald their rumps ... well they may repeat this even after a moult. Hopefully yours won't.