Brachypelma Smithi 7" won't eat

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
So four days ago I bought a brachypelma Smithi, my first spider ever. It is about 7 inches and gender is unknown. Since its my first spider I don't know the rules of feeding and such. I tried feeding it but it runs from the crickets (they are smaller than it) Is it too early to feed it or is it scared? What do I do?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It might take a bit longer to adapt to its new enclosure, it might be close to a moult, or it might not be hungry at the moment. Do you have a picture of it and of the enclosure?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Pics of set up and spider are essential for getting help.
That being said, four days is really short for it to acclimate enough to feed. Also, at that sixe, gender could and should be determined, so again, pictures will help. If it is a MM, it will even eat less...

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My AF smithi eats once every 3 months. I offer about once a month. Remove uneaten prey in about 24 hrs.

As long as you have an always filled water dish and nice dry sub, I wouldn't worry too much.

Pictures would be especially helpful.

thecrickets (they are smaller than it)
I'd be surprised if you could find a 5-7" cricket unless you're feeding Anostostomatidae. :rofl:

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Uneaten prey is very common with tarantulas. Take the cricket out and don't worry about it. Try again next week. I've seen some Ts go months without food.

The main thing to worry about is if the abdomen starts getting small

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
It might take a bit longer to adapt to its new enclosure, it might be close to a moult, or it might not be hungry at the moment. Do you
Pics of set up and spider are essential for getting help.
That being said, four days is really short for it to acclimate enough to feed. Also, at that sixe, gender could and should be determined, so again, pictures will help. If it is a MM, it will even eat less...
CAM00106.jpg CAM00103.jpg CAM00106.jpg

so the enclosure is 30x30x30 and i used special terraria earth, which i put into the oven to sterilize it before filling the enclosure with it. And the shop owner told me that he couldnt tell the gender yet. Yesterday i saw a fly in the enclosure and i wasnt sure if its normal or not so i smooshed it and removed the body. Am i doing somethingwrong?

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so the enclosure is 30x30x30 and i used special terraria earth, which i put into the oven to sterilize it before filling the enclosure with it. And the shop owner told me that he couldnt tell the gender yet. Yesterday i saw a fly in the enclosure and i wasnt sure if its normal or not so i smooshed it and removed the body. Am i doing somethingwrong?
Nice fat abdomen so no worries there. The height of the enclosure looks like it could cause trouble if the T were to climb.

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
How can it tell if its about to molt? I read a book about Ts but it wasnt very informative.

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How can it tell if its about to molt? I read a book about Ts but it wasnt very informative.
They tend to stop eating, colors dull, abdomen starts darkening. Some species will close up their burrow while others stay out. it's hard to tell from the quality of the picture but it does not look like pre molt to me

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
Yeah my phones camera doesn't have the best quality. Still thanks a lot for the information. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Do you see the lighter spot on its abdomen? The T has been kicking urticating hairs, the first form of defense for this (and other) species.
That bald spot will turn from the skin-colour to a dark black, and then a shiny black when it is nearing a molt.
It will also stop eating, and maybe seal itself in, although my B.smithi stays out in the open, when a molt is coming.
As for the cage, sorry, but that could result in a fall causing some serious damage to the T.
Space between the substrate and the lid should be no more than 1.5/2 times the diagonal legspan of the T. I personally would remove rocks as well. Tarantula are quite fragile animals, despite their reputation, a fall on a rock could cause the abdomen to rupture, causing a bleeding that will be fatal. I'll post some other recommendations later, have to feed my human herd ;)

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
The shop keeper from where I got it told me that this would be a good height :/ What can I decorate it with, instead of rocks? I don't want my T to get hurt, that's the last thing I want. Also can I do something about the height? Maybe put more earth inside?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Real quick between cooking lol!
In short,yes, raise the earth to the right level. Remove rocks, you can use corkbark, fake leaves and plants, half log rounds as a hide.
Pet shop keepers rarely give good advice...they are responsible for a lot mistakes new people make. Glad you came here!

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
In short,yes, raise the earth to the right level. Remove rocks, you can use corkbark, fake leaves and plants, half log rounds as a hide.
Pet shop keepers rarely give good advice...they are responsible for a lot mistakes new people make. Glad you came here!
What she said.

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
so how do i do this best? i dont want to stress it more than necessary. i have another enclosure which is about 20x20x20, its unused and sterile. Would this be a better enclosure?

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Is it one of those enclosures that is front opening, like the one in the photos? That might make it difficult to use... If it's top opening, that can work; you'll just need to put in more substrate so that the amount of space between the lid and the ground isn't so much that you risk the tarantula hurting itself.