Brachypelma Smithi 7" won't eat

cold blood

Staff member
A few points. How has no one commented on 7" smithi...red flag, smithi is a bit smaller. Looks like B. annitha perhaps http://www.mikebasictarantula.com/Brachypelma_annitha.JPG

Like mentioned by Leonardo, don't sterilize substrate, this will actually encourage mold growth.

Don't be concerned with excessive room, small enclosures are just fine, and a better choice than large much of the time.

An adult brachy shouldn't need added heat unless you live in a tent. They aren't a species that requires high temps. upper 60s is just fine, night temps can even be a little lower.

Handling is NOT a necessary part of keeping tarantulas. Many of us will recommend not handling at all, and instead treating them like fish in an aquarium. Only bad things can come from handling, it has no positives for the animal. Transferring it into a deli cup or some other vessel to facilitate moving it is actually quite simple and drama free. Seems like you figured that part out though:)

So glad you were willing to move the t so quickly.

cold blood

Staff member
As a full grown t, the animal is easily sexed, I just hope that your crappy pet store didn't pull the classic pet store trick on you and sell you a MM. Get pics of the underside as well as the ends of the pedipalps.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I thought op simply miscalculated the cm to inches...since, compared to the 20/20/20 cm enclosure it doesn't seem to be 7inches, because it would almost be able to touch the top of the enclosure it is in now. @cold blood

Estein

Arachnoknight
I thought op simply miscalculated the cm to inches...since, compared to the 20/20/20 cm enclosure it doesn't seem to be 7inches, because it would almost be able to touch the top of the enclosure it is in now. @cold blood
This would be much easier if the US would just use the metric system already :rolleyes:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Inches are actually easiest to calculate since 1"~25mm, basically in my head i multiply inches with 2.5 to get centimeters and vice versa. the other stuff is much more complicated, like gallons and feet and fahrenheits. :wacky:

Estein

Arachnoknight
Couldn't agree more! Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion messes me up all the time...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Couldn't agree more!I Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion messes me up all the time...
I really needed to get used to the Fahrenheit degrees on here when i was new here. I was like 'keeping your T at 70 degrees??? What on earth are you doing, making tarantula stew? (Boiling point in C° is 60C°) :p

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I really needed to get used to the Fahrenheit degrees on here when i was new here. I was like 'keeping your T at 70 degrees??? What on earth are you doing, making tarantula stew? (Boiling point in C° is 60C°) :p
actually it's 100°C at sea level (unless you're boiling it on top of mt. everest that is, it's around 75°C there)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
aItually it's 100°C at sea level (unless you're boiling it on top of mt. everest that is, it's around 75°C there)
Blegh, me and my dyscalculism....for some reason i always mess up with 60/100. I will also say 60 cm is a meter...darn it. Sorry guys...:embarrassed:

Still, 70C° is a cooked tarantula I think...