Brachypelma Smithi 7" won't eat

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
so how do i do this best? i dont want to stress it more than necessary. i have another enclosure which is about 20x20x20, its unused and sterile. Would this be a better enclosure?
The enclosure does not have to be sterile. The main problem with your enclosure is the distance between the substrate (dirt) and the top of your enclosure. You could add more substrate to reduce that gap to about 1.5 times her leg span. If the design of the enclosure prevents you from doing this, for example if you have a front opening enclosure, then you will need to change the enclosure for one that can have the appropriate height.

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
The enclosure does not have to be sterile. The main problem with your enclosure is the distance between the substrate (dirt) and the top of your enclosure. You could add more substrate to reduce that gap to about 1.5 times her leg span. If the design of the enclosure prevents you from doing this, for example if you have a front opening enclosure, then you will need to change the enclosure for one that can have the appropriate height.
it does have a front opening :/ ok so ill move it into an enclosure with appropriate height. So uh, since im new to all this handling your tarantula stuff, which advice do you have? how should i get her out and put her into the new?

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
Is it one of those enclosures that is front opening, like the one in the photos? That might make it difficult to use... If it's top opening, that can work; you'll just need to put in more substrate so that the amount of space between the lid and the ground isn't so much that you risk the tarantula hurting itself.
its front opening too, yes. :/ but itll be fine if i put enough substrate inside,i think. but how should i move her into the new enclosure? I never picked her up, or handled any T before

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Stressing the T is minor, compared to a fall, don't worry about that. The 20x20x20 could work if it is top opening like previously posted.

But you could make this enclosure work as well. Get a lot more substrate, and fill the enclosure as much as you can. Pack it down real good, and create a slope downwards towards the opening. That way, you reduce the chance of a fall. Place the waterdish in a corner to reduce chances of falling.Put some fake leaves and plants along the sides as well to ddiscourage climbing even more.
The hide you're using is okay, I would bury it a little, creating a snug hiding place. Waterdish is ok too, but be sure to cover any edges with substrate ie bury it a little.
Has the petshop keeper recommended any heating device? If yes, be sure not to place it under the enclosure, it will become a deathtrap with the T dehydrating. Mats can be used on the sides, as high up as possible. You can also use a mat stuck behind the enclosure without the mat touching the glass.
If you type 'Brachypelma smithi enclosure arachnoboards' in Google picture search, you can get ideas on how it should be.

You can get the T out by gently putting a plastic cup over it, sliding a piece of cardboard under it, and take it out. To put it back, just gently remove cardboard and cup. Be mindful of hairkicking, don't put your face too close near the T to avoid hairs in eyes or mouth/nose. If you see it kicking, be sure to wash your hands afterwards with lukewarm water by letting the stream carry hairs away. If it itches, DON'T scratch, you will make it worse.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just find a container big enough for her to fit in, like a large Tupperware. Use a paintbrush or spoon or something to gently nudge her into the Tupperware. Put the lid on the Tupperware and move her to the new enclosure. She might kick some hairs at you, but shouldn't be too much trouble.

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
Thank you really much! Im happy i found some kind people to give me advice, ill buy more substrate and fake plants and do anything to make her feel nice and cozy. For now ill cover up the edges and remove the wood piece. Also i have a heating lamp about 10 inches above the enclosure in the corner of the hide, its 27 degrees celsius

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you really much! Im happy i found some kind people to give me advice, ill buy more substrate and fake plants and do anything to make her feel nice and cozy. For now ill cover up the edges and remove the wood piece. Also i have a heating lamp about 10 inches above the enclosure in the corner of the hide, its 27 degrees celsius
tarantulas dont like light, heat lamps are bad for Ts. i highly recommend removing that. if temps are commonly below 20 C than a space heater is the best option. welcome to the boards. :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are some pretty big crickets. Ever see a Jerusalem cricket? Not sure the Latin name
Google a weta.

tarantulas dont like light, heat lamps are bad for Ts. i highly recommend removing that.
To expound on this, heat lamps/pads/rocks desiccate tarantulas. They love heat. They also use "blood" (hemolymph) to move like hydraulics. Basically they dry themselves out and get stuck and cant make it to a water dish.

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
i feel like everything the pet shop keeper told me was a cruel lie :bag:
so i took it out and filled the rest of my substarte inside, but its still too high. Is it animal abuse if i keep it in the 20x20x20 enclosure for two days? I dont want to mistreat it

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
so i took it out and filled the rest of my substarte inside, but its still too high. Is it animal abuse if i keep it in the 20x20x20 enclosure for two days? I dont want to mistreat it
the pet shop guy most likely didnt know any better, and if he did, hes just trying to sell you a ton of useless and harmful crap to make more money. you should really move it to something else, its fine if its too small, as long as its not dangerous like its current cage.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the club. Most of us were lied to and sold that 20 gallon aquarium with heat pads, skull decoration, and a half inch of substrate. :shifty:

You can actually get away with a sterilite container filled with substrate and a piece of cork bark (many people do). Which is like a $10 setup (no pet employee would try to talk you down from wasting money). :meh:

It should be ok, the size isn't the issue, it's the distance your T could fall. A nice plump, heavy tarantula could rupture it's abdomen from a high fall. It's not to say it will, but it's a definite possibility.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sadly, it is true that the shopkeeper misinformed you. Often it is more so that they have the wrong information than that they are lying In purpose, but that doesn't make it less bad.

No, it is not abuse at all if you transfer it to the 20/20/20 :). It should be fine for at least one molt.

The heat lamp is not a very good idea, since tarantula don't like
bright lights, and the lamps often
raise the temperatures too high. 27 is fairly warm, i keep mine at 23-25C°. But if you have central heating, and the temp in the room you're keeping it is warm enough to be in with a t-shirt, it is warm enough for the T as well. As long as it doesn't consistently drop to 17C°, it will be fine. Maybe for now, since it is the weekend and imagine shops are closed on sunday like here, maybe you could place the enclosure farther away from the lamp.
If you're done setting up the new enclosure, post pics so we can help making last minute alterations if necessary. Preferably before putting the T in.
Don't feel bad. You had a rough start, but you're doing your best now to improve it all. Search this forum for anything you want to know. Germany also has a lively tarantula community. Austrian is a bit like German, no?

Last edited:

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
So this is the 20x20x20 enclosure and a better picture of the B. smithi. The height is fine but there is not a lot space for decoration :(
it kicked in the cup i put it in while changing, but it didnt get me. i feel sorry for stressing it that much. i hope it forgives me

Attachments

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
Search this forum for anything you want to know. Germany also has a lively tarantula community. Austrian is a bit like German, no?
Austria is a lot different xD i live in a big city and they really only have one big pet shop where Ts are available. Ts are rather feared here, they have a bad image, which is sad

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Austria is a lot different xD i live in a big city and they really only have one big pet shop where Ts are available. Ts are rather feared here, they have a bad image, which is sad
Lol, sorry, my bad :D
The smaller enclosure doesn't seem too small to me, it looks fine. Maybe raise the substrate a little more at the back, and add some leaves when you can, and it will be fine.
Hairs from kicking also float in the air so i hope you rinsed your hands anyway ;)

MollyChan

Arachnopeon
Lol, sorry, my bad :D
The smaller enclosure doesn't seem too small to me, it looks fine. Maybe raise the substrate a little more at the back, and add some leaves when you can, and it will be fine.
Hairs from kicking also float in the air so i hope you rinsed your hands anyway ;)
Its a huge relief to hear that its fine :happy: Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. And i think my B Smithi thanks y`all too ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Its a huge relief to hear that its fine :happy: Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. And i think my B Smithi thanks y`all too ;)
No problem!
After you put in the plants, leave it alone for a few days to settle in before feeding it. I usually wait a week before feeding when i rehoused a T, except with small slings. Other people feed the same day, but i like to wait a little so the T has a bit of quiet after the ordeal.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Seems you know more about Austria than i do xD Thanks for the information ill deffinately check it out.
That one is i suppose closest to you, there are much more expos in Germany, Slovenia and Hungary, even Italy all year round, practically every month something happens. Not to mention you can always order them online and shipped, so you can avoid pet shops altogether