Brachypelma mini fasts

k2power

Arachnoknight
I have a B. emilia and B. smithii and had a B. vagans in the past. All of them exhibit some kind of fasting that doesn't seem to be preceding a molt at times. The B. vagans went off feed for months when I had it. The B. emilia I currently have is at 75 degrees and kept dry with a water dish. It will go on feeding spurts for a week or so and then off for 2-3 weeks. It never gets more than 2 or 3 crickets til it stops. It has a bald spot that is still pink so no impending molt I know of. It is not terribly large in the abdomen but not shriveled either. The smithii is a better eater but still passes on food every now and then. Compared to my other tropicals that only refuse if a molt is coming heir behavior is strange. Maybe the temperate environments they come from have triggered a brumation period of some sort. Don't know although the temperate geckos in the same room get all of their refusals and show no signs of not wanting food. Anyone else see this kind of behavior with theirs. I know rose hairs are notorious for this.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantula are opportunistic feeders, not weekly reliable feeders.
Tarantula are built to feed when foods available to cover them for when food is scarce. This is often a natural cycle that combines with the seasons.

I expect you're feeding more than necessary, but its no big deal if they refuse food as long as you make sure they have access to water.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
I've had my B. emilia for 2 months and it's only eaten two crickets. It is approx. 2''. It just molted sunday night. It is my understanding that the brachy species is a very slow grower and slow eaters, but live for a very long time. I'm not gonna worry about it unless it loses a tremedous amount of ''weight'' in it's abdomen. Good luck!

k2power

Arachnoknight
My emilia is on the slightly thin side and I would like it to eat some to get back to normal proportions. I don't believe I feed too much 3-4 crickets (not usually full grown) per week for the eaters and more than that immediately following a molt once the appetite is back. My Cameroon red and salmon birdeater eat like pigs and the Peru purple avic also. The smithii I believe is readying for a molt as it ate great but recently stopped for the most part.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My emilia is on the slightly thin side and I would like it to eat some to get back to normal proportions. I don't believe I feed too much 3-4 crickets (not usually full grown) per week for the eaters and more than that immediately following a molt once the appetite is back. My Cameroon red and salmon birdeater eat like pigs and the Peru purple avic also. The smithii I believe is readying for a molt as it ate great but recently stopped for the most part.
Stanley Schultz, in his book The Tarantula Keepers Guide, suggests 6 crickets per month. I often feed 2 crickets per week, but not every week. So, your 3-4 crickets amounts to over double what Stan suggests. There are issues with over-feeding, including abrasions on the abdomen, life expectancy and lower fertility which you might wish to research.

Its important to leave your tarantula after a moult for it to stretch and harden. I wouldn't consider feeding until a week after a moult before offering food. Ive seen instances where tarantula have lost fangs and had to be fed directly to the mouth parts whilst the T was on its back. If this is the outcome of being fed immediately after a moult you'd have to consider the sensibilities of doing so.

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine constantly play this game! My B. smithi, B. emilia, and the rosies. Sometimes my avics. Also, I cannot get my Brachy's and the rosea to eat either species of cockroaches that I raise. (B. dubia and lateralis) they refuse! they hate em! and turn away in disgust lol. Crickets however they usually jump at and devour as much as they can grab.

So yea mine are picky and finicky, sometimes choosing to eat nothing when I've tried all options. I've just learned to not worry about it. They'll eat when they eat. If your husbandry and their environment is the way it should be everything should be ok.

What's most important for me when I have spider on hunger strike is to keep the water source full and, to not leave the uneaten guest in there for days and days.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
I have a B. emilia that is the same way. she is about 2 inches and will hardly ever eat at the time she is feed but they are always gone in the morning. but my vagans is an absolute beast.

k2power

Arachnoknight
My feeding the B. emilia a lot at the times it feeds is to make up for the lengthy times it does not feed as much as possible. I don't normally feed 3-4 crickets per week. Maybe after a molt I will power feed for a while but they normally get fed once a week or slightly more depending on the cricket surplus and whether the red eyes or geckos have gotten their fill. It hasn't eaten since I placed this post and its bald spot is still orangy in color, not black. The B. smithii hasn't eaten since either, while the Cameroon red, Salmon pink, and Peruvian purple avic are eating like horses. All are in the same room. It is comforting to know that others with these species have these situations as well.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Guess what is in the B. emilia's fangs right now. Even the shy pink toe that eats so poorly that I named it after my daughter(who is also a poor eater) has a cricket as well. We will see how long it feeds before going off feed again.