Brachypelma in the U.S?

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
So I know that there are Brachypelma species all over mexico. Think any of them creep their way into the border states?

The only's real information I could find was from the new Aphonopelma revision which stated Aphonopelma was the only genera in the U.S.... But that study was done from just 1800 specimans and was focused on Aphonopelma.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I saw many dif brachy's when i was traveling through texas a few years back so i say yes, the south west most certainly has them.

Besides, im Pretty sure immigration laws dont apply to them ;)

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
I figured a few species would cross over state side. While you can not legally collect Brachys id love to know what species make it state side....

On an aside, I've wondered how a solid wall between the countries would affect both brachys, Aphonos, and other animals that rely on Mexican populations.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
What did you see and where, @Abyss? That's surprising. I thought all but 2 species (in Mexico) are just found in the Sierra Madres. The only Brachypelma I know of in the US is a feral colony of B. vagans in Florida.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
What did you see and where, @Abyss? That's surprising. I thought all but 2 species (in Mexico) are just found in the Sierra Madres. The only Brachypelma I know of in the US is a feral colony of B. vagans in Florida.
I remember reading that some B vagans were found in Florida.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I remember reading that some B vagans were found in Florida.
I also remember seeing this somewhere as well. Pretty sure there was an attempt to eradicate them as well. Not sure how that went.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Im super bad w/ scientific names still
Red knee, fire leg, and red rump.
I think thats smithi, boehmi, and vagans but not sure.
It was in south west texas @ a hotel we stayed at for 13 weeks for my wifes job. There was a sort of scrub brush "forest" beside it and i would go spider hunting in the evenings. Saw a bunch of plain old brown ones too but i was lookin for colorful ones haha. I was impressed cause i thought they were only found further south then that but the hotel staff did say it doesnt really get too cold there ever so i can see them expaning their territory that far north i suppose. Could also have been escaped/released specimans as well maybe?

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
So there was a small established population of vagans in southern Florida but they've been eradicated successfully.

I'd really love to hear some more first hand reports of the American Brachy.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
So there was a small established population of vagans in southern Florida but they've been eradicated successfully.

I'd really love to hear some more first hand reports of the American Brachy.
Personally i dont see why anyone would think there cant be any brachys wild in the US (not sayin thats what you meant).
If climates are acceptible then they can live (and thrive) there weather its their native home or not.
Look at florida and pythons. They dont actually come from there yet thrive extremely well. They just had to be introduced.
I wouod find it excessivly hard to believe that by now brachys have yet to be introduced to the southwestern US where like florida, its always warm. Im betting theres a nice population up and running hahaha

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Look at florida and pythons. They dont actually come from there yet thrive extremely well. They just had to be introduced.
But, the pythons and all the other invasive species cause the ecosystem to be totally wrecked in Florida.

If there is a Brachypelma population in Texas, it would most likely, be invasive.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im super bad w/ scientific names still
Red knee, fire leg, and red rump.
I think thats smithi, boehmi, and vagans but not sure.
It was in south west texas @ a hotel we stayed at for 13 weeks for my wifes job. There was a sort of scrub brush "forest" beside it and i would go spider hunting in the evenings. Saw a bunch of plain old brown ones too but i was lookin for colorful ones haha. I was impressed cause i thought they were only found further south then that but the hotel staff did say it doesnt really get too cold there ever so i can see them expaning their territory that far north i suppose. Could also have been escaped/released specimans as well maybe?
They would have to have made super spider efforts to expand that much. Most of the Mexican Brachypelma species are on the west coast. Vagans have a broader range in south east Mexico, across the gulf.
I think both Aphonopelma moderatum and bicoloratum can be found in the US, but don't quote me on that.
Most likely, any Brachypelma living wild in Texas are not naturally occurring.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
They would have to have made super spider efforts to expand that much. Most of the Mexican Brachypelma species are on the west coast. Vagans have a broader range in south east Mexico, across the gulf.
I think both Aphonopelma moderatum and bicoloratum can be found in the US, but don't quote me on that.
Most likely, any Brachypelma living wild in Texas are not naturally occurring.
moderatum yes, bicoloratum, no. I'm thinking Abyss had a case of mistaken identity most likely, or someone had some pets escape.

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
I'm not so interested in introduced populations. I'm more looking for cases of w.c/ seen Brachys in the U.S. Although, I do believe it is perfectly reasonable to assume quiet a few genera of T would thrive along the southern boarder states. The southern U.S has 6 different climate types ranging from lowland tropical to highland alpine.

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
But, the pythons and all the other invasive species cause the ecosystem to be totally wrecked in Florida.

If there is a Brachypelma population in Texas, it would most likely, be invasive.
Oh agreed, im only sayin the pythons thrive in Fl is all so for me, its not a difficult concept that Brachys would be just fine and are indeed in the southwest (likely in abundance i bet)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
moderatum yes, bicoloratum, no. I'm thinking Abyss had a case of mistaken identity most likely, or someone had some pets escape.
Wither case is feasible, i cant be 100% on the coloring due to it being dusk when i was seeing them. Im pretty confident in the red markings but if you've ever been out west, the sunsets are gorgeous and do cast the full spectrum of warm colors on everything

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wither case is feasible, i cant be 100% on the coloring due to it being dusk when i was seeing them. Im pretty confident in the red markings but if you've ever been out west, the sunsets are gorgeous and do cast the full spectrum of warm colors on everything
I don't believe you know what you saw based on your changing accounts. Nice try ;)

Now I'm cancelling my tickets to TX ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thistles let me know how that Poki population is doing out by you :clown:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I don't believe you know what you saw based on your changing accounts. Nice try ;)

Now I'm cancelling my tickets to TX ;)
??? Changing accounts ???
Lol I have kept red knee's an fire legs before (again i suck w/ latin names lol) an am pretty sure thats 2/3 that i saw. Since i didnt capture them, i of course cant be 100% certain it being dusk an all but thats what they looked like to me. It didnt surprise me in the least because family there always told me that @ certain times of year they see tons of them running across the roads w/orange legs or orange spots on their legs.
I have never researched where specifically those particular brackys come from nor do i need to as its not relevant to me and my keeping. Someone asked about brackys in the US and I have no reson to think there arent any in the wild since im pretty sure i have seen some and ppl tell me about seeing them often.
Besides, its not like south west Texas has 10 degree winters and feet of snow like up north where im from hahahaha, im far from an expert but i see no reason why they couldnt be there, survive there, and thrive there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
??? Changing accounts ???
Lol I have kept red knee's an fire legs before (again i suck w/ latin names lol) an am pretty sure thats 2/3 that i saw. Since i didnt capture them, i of course cant be 100% certain it being dusk an all but thats what they looked like to me. It didnt surprise me in the least because family there always told me that @ certain times of year they see tons of them running across the roads w/orange legs or orange spots on their legs.
I have never researched where specifically those particular brackys come from nor do i need to as its not relevant to me and my keeping. Someone asked about brackys in the US and I have no reson to think there arent any in the wild since im pretty sure i have seen some and ppl tell me about seeing them often.
Besides, its not like south west Texas has 10 degree winters and feet of snow like up north where im from hahahaha, im far from an expert but i see no reason why they couldnt be there, survive there, and thrive there.
We all know they live up North with w/little snow shoes ;)

Yah changing accounts. Your first post was "I've seen them here" then a few posts later it changed "well the sun was setting, not 100% sure".. to paraphrase. Now you are "recruiting" more 2nd hand stories..It's like people that catch fish, and the fish gets larger and larger :rolleyes:;)

Let's face it, you'd be a crappy eye-witness in a legal case- like MOST people.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
We all know they live up North with w/little snow shoes ;)

Yah changing accounts. Your first post was "I've seen them here" then a few posts later it changed "well the sun was setting, not 100% sure".. to paraphrase. Now you are "recruiting" more 2nd hand stories..It's like people that catch fish, and the fish gets larger and larger :rolleyes:;)

Let's face it, you'd be a crappy eye-witness in a legal case- like MOST people.
Fair enough, i am sure i saw them but me being sure doesnt make it fact.
My admitting theres always the possibility that im wrong (i never claimed ever to be perfect and know everything) was in direct to refence to someone sayin they think it was mistaken identity.
Mistaken identity happens all the time and admitting that doesnt mean im changing my story. I am just big enough to admit its my story an that doesnt mean 100% fact nescessarily.
If my original statement led you or anyone else to believe that im infalibale an unable to make mistakes then apologies cause thats simply not the case haha.

And if you think our tarantula snow shoes are sweet you should def come check out our orbweavers heated webs hahahaha