Brachypelma in the U.S?

cold blood

Staff member
So there was a small established population of vagans in southern Florida but they've been eradicated successfully.

I'd really love to hear some more first hand reports of the American Brachy.
Where did you hear this? The last thing i read about it was that several eradication attempts had failed.

I dont think Brachypelma can occur here naturally. Fast moving rivers are natural barriers....its one reason why you see some closely related species or sub species residing only in certain areas, at times not too far from one another. The Rio Grande is that natural barrier.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Where did you hear this? The last thing i read about it was that several eradication attempts had failed.

I dont think Brachypelma can occur here naturally. Fast moving rivers are natural barriers....its one reason why you see some closely related species or sub species residing only in certain areas, at times not too far from one another. The Rio Grande is that natural barrier.
Yeah, but there are many places where the Rio has dried up, due to damming and water use. So I could see it. It's like a drain. One minute the monsoons fill it, then late spring and summer drain it from heat and lack of rain. Then the monsoons. Then winter. The last few years the mountain snow melt's a joke.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, but there are many places where the Rio has dried up, due to damming and water use. So I could see it. It's like a drain. One minute the monsoons fill it, then late spring and summer drain it from heat and lack of rain. Then the monsoons. Then winter. The last few years the mountain snow melt's a joke.
Whether the Rio dried up or not, if you look at some of the Brachypelma distribution maps, there is a prohibitive distance for some of the species to travel to establish wild colonies in Texas.

CAN Brachypelma sp survive in Texas climate? Most likely.

DID any breeding groups make a several hundred mile plus pilgrimage to set up housekeeping north of the border? Seriously doubtful.

IF (Big IF) there are any colonies of Brachypelma sp living in Texas, they are not naturally occurring. They would have needed help to get there, as did the Florida population of B vagans.

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
In the last week I read an article that said the B. Vagans range was limited to a few citrus groves in southern Florida and have since been eliminated. You'd have to take my word on it though as I can not seem to place the article ATM. The whole reason I was researching is b/c I just came home from southern Florida today. I'll check my tablet when I get off the plane and see if I can place the article.

South Florida really doesn't play with wild exotics. I spent 10 months after college working for Americorps pulling up exotic plants found in Florida state parks.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
In the last week I read an article that said the B. Vagans range was limited to a few citrus groves in southern Florida and have since been eliminated. You'd have to take my word on it though as I can not seem to place the article ATM. The whole reason I was researching is b/c I just came home from southern Florida today. I'll check my tablet when I get off the plane and see if I can place the article.

South Florida really doesn't play with wild exotics. I spent 10 months after college working for Americorps pulling up exotic plants found in Florida state parks.
Thanks.

Ts arent really invasive like the animals typically drstroying the natural ecosystem. Theres never been a slight incling that this population has or will cause any issues for florida and its wild inhabitants. With all they have to deal with im actually shocked that they chose a decades old and completely isolated vagans population to focus on....me thinks they may just be reaching for a little positive pub with regards to invasives control.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am currently working in Inverness and plan to bring back some Loch Ness with me to assist in controlling the pythons in Florida. I just need to figure out how to get them past security at the airport. I don't think they are a controlled species.

I found some cool looking spider webs at the warehouse where I have been working. I was expected to find a spider wearing a fur coat. I love to look at spider webs. This one is frozen in the morning frost.
20161206_095030.jpg

EDIT* Oops! Sorry for side tracking. We were talking about spider immigrants.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Yeah
So I know that there are Brachypelma species all over mexico. Think any of them creep their way into the border states?

The only's real information I could find was from the new Aphonopelma revision which stated Aphonopelma was the only genera in the U.S.... But that study was done from just 1800 specimans and was focused on Aphonopelma.
I’m late here but the answer to your question is no. Not at all. The genus Brachypelma is limited to the southwestern coastal regions of Sonora and Sinaloa, Mexico, and some parts of central Mexico around the more xeric Michoacán area.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
So after reading this whole thread..

If someone asked me if there are Brachys in the states I'd be just as uncertain as I was before reading it 👌