Brachypelma hamorii pics/info?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some of us on this board have what is called Brachypelma pallidum "Rose grey" in the pet trade. The problem with that is there is no such animal. What used to be called Brachypelma pallidum was actually an Aphonopelma, and is now Aphonopelma pallidum (and not what is in the pet trade as B. pallidum).

Over on either the ATS_enthusiast or Arachnid_world mailing list, Rick West said he thought that what is being called B. pallidum in the pet trade is probably B. hamorii, but I can't find any pictures of B. hamorii through a generalised internet search.

Does anyone have any pics or better information on B. hamorii?

Riggindale

Arachnopeon
I bought a Brachypelma pallidum sling a couple of weeks ago. So what have I got? An Aphonopelma pallidum or a Brachypelma hamorii? :-(

Dave

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Riggindale
I bought a Brachypelma pallidum sling a couple of weeks ago. So what have I got? An Aphonopelma pallidum or a Brachypelma hamorii? :-(
Oh, you've got a Brachypelma, A. pallidum isn't in the pet trade in the U.S. (it's a very non descript brown tarantula). It's a question of which Brachypelma it is.

Rick West generally knows his stuff so I wanted to check out his pet theory.

Riggindale

Arachnopeon
hmmmm ok well im in the uk.

I think i'll email the people i bought it from and see what they say. I hope its a brachy.

Dave

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's still not A. pallidum.

"Brachypelma pallidum" has been well established in the pet trade for some years now on both sides of the Atlantic. To the best of my knowledge, the slings that started appearing here in the U.S. are all from European stock.

A. pallidum has never been part of the pet trade anywhere in the world, but I can't say it's *never* appeared in a collection somewhere. If you obtained a Brachypelma pallidum through a pet store or invert dealer, it's whatever Brachypelma pallidum is.

Further, contacting your dealer is going to be useless as no one except people who really care about ID'ing their stock correctly even know there's no such thing as B. pallidum. It came into the pet trade as B. pallidum, it's been sold, traded, and bred as B. pallidum, to most of the hobby, why would it occur to them it's something else?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by Code Monkey

Does anyone have any pics or better information on B. hamorii?
see these two articles (I can send you a copy if you need):
  • TESMOINGT, M., CLÉTON, F. & VERDEZ, J.-M. (1997a): Description de Brachypelma annitha n. sp. et de Brachypelma hamorii n. sp. mâles et femelles, nouvelles espèces proches de Brachypelma smithi (Cambridge, 1897) du Mexique. Etude et relations taxonomiques des deux espèces et comparaison avec Brachypelma auratum (Schmidt, 1992), B. boehmi (Schmidt & Klaas, 1993), B. emilia (White, 1856), (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Theraphosinae). 2ème partie. Arachnides 33: 2-10.
  • TESMOINGT, M., CLÉTON, F. & VERDEZ, J.-M. (1997b): Description de Brachypelma annitha n. sp. et de Brachypelma hamorii n. sp. mâles et femelles, nouvelles espèces proches de Brachypelma smithi (Cambridge, 1897) du Mexique. Etude et relations taxonomiques des deux espèces et comparaison avec Brachypelma auratum (Schmidt, 1992), B. boehmi (Schmidt & Klaas, 1993), B. emilia (White, 1856), (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Theraphosinae). 1ère partie. Arachnides 32: 8-20.
According the subject "Brachypelma/Aphonopelma pallidum" see also this article from Fabian Vol:
  • VOL, F: A propos de Brachypelma « pallidum »
    >>click me<<

all the best,
Martin

www.spiderpix.com

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I looked around a bit and found this at the ATS site:

Brachypelma pallidum (=Aphonopelma pallidum) This species is a good one, but is not in the pet trade. What is sold as B. pallidum or A. pallidum is in fact either an undescribed species of Brachypelma or a hybrid between two Brachypelma species.....
this is from one of their articles on T names.

There are also a few sites listed that sell it as a Rosey Gray
or something like that, I think they said it was from Mexico

:?