Brachypelma Hamorii or Brachypelma Albopilosum?

Skullion

Arachnopeon
I'm a newbie and am planning on getting my first tarantula. I can't decide between a Hamorii and an Albo. Any suggestions? I like the look of the Hamorii better. but the faster growth rate and generally tamer personality of the Albo is also appealing to me. Price and availability don't matter.

Edit: I would also be open to a Choco Golden Knee.

Last edited:

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Whilst B.hamorii is super pretty,Brachypelmas are kind boring activity wise :rofl:
A Tliltocatl albopilosus,especially nicaraguan locality,is super fuzzy and beautiful in their own way. So much more satisfying to keep compared to a Brachypelma hamorii

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Both are great, i love both of mine. From my experience i would say you are better going with the T. Albo first simply because hamorii tend to be the ultimate pet rock and also can be quite bossy, flicky and a little uncooperative at times.

This isn't a problem in the grand scheme of things, still great guys. But the albo will grow quicker, burrow lots which is fun to see and are *overall* a little nicer in temperament. They are also better eaters even though hamorii are usually great eaters themselves.

G pulchripes are also brilliant although I've never owned one... Their main downside like other grammostola is they are rather slow growing and can go on some loong fasts which is concerning for new keepers. You might not see them all that much as slings. On the plus side you do get a wonderful big lump of spider eventually

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It is entirely up to you to decide on what you want.

I personally would've went with the T. albopilosus "Nicaragua" as the downside to B. hamorii is the slow growth rate. I have a B. hamorii juvenile male at 1.5'' inches and I raised him from a sling which took over 3 years to reach to reach that size. Three years is a long time for some, but specimens will vary on growth depending on the specimens, species, and care. I have a sibling B. hamorii and she is about 3.25'' inches in the same 3 year time frame from a sling. If you get a B. hamorii, be prepared for a possible slow grower.

As for the the G. pulchripes, I do recommend getting them as I find them to be very unique. But I don't recommend them as a first T. anymore as some people will get a very slow growing specimen. I have three siblings of G. pulcripes that was hatched almost 5 years ago. One sibling is a male and is now 4''-4.5'' inches and possibly pen-ultimate now, but I need to wait for his next molt to be sure. Another sibling is a female at about 4'' inches, maybe a little bigger or a little smaller. And the last sibling is also a female at 1.5'' which she is a very, very, very, slow grower.

For a G. pulchripes to only be 1.5'' inches after about 5 years can be seen as a huge set-back for some. So be prepared for a slow growing specimens if you do get slow growing species. Surprisingly, It's going to be their 5th birthday next month in early October :) .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm a newbie and am planning on getting my first tarantula. I can't decide between a Hamorii and an Albo. Any suggestions? I like the look of the Hamorii better. but the faster growth rate and generally tamer personality of the Albo is also appealing to me. Price and availability don't matter.

My albo is very flicky- don’t get them- crapshoot

G pulchripes all the way! My AF is great and was not a slow grower while all my Brachy were

Skullion

Arachnopeon
My albo is very flicky- don’t get them- crapshoot

G pulchripes all the way! My AF is great and was not a slow grower while all my Brachy were
Hmm... I'll definitely consider that. I'll probably ask around and get a few more opinions first. Thank you. :)

amblygrey

Arachnopeon

My T albo slings are burrowing and it is so cute omg. I haven’t had a hamorii but I can vouch for how cute t albo’s are

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
G. pulchripes, if I had to pick. What about A. geniculata?