• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Brachypelma emilia

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
UNSUCCESSFUL

September 2004: Scott's male arrives here. Multiple introductions result in NO matings. Male was very timid and female acted uninterested too. SEE THIS THREAD

November 2004: Scott's male never hooked up with my female, and I sent him on to Joy Reed. Both Ralph (Rknralf) and Schuyler (Xanxo) sent me males. Xanxo's male was old, but experienced, and Ralph's male was fresh. SEE THIS THREAD
And, a most amusing FOLLOW UP

The upshot, Xanxo's male died of old age earlier this spring. I don't have the exact month. I PMed Ralph, and told him his male was still timid, and asked if he minded if I just cohabitated them. He said that was fine, so I put him in with my female. They lived together for a few months and he died of old age this week. The day after I removed him, she started spinning silk.
HERE is the result so far.
At this point, I plan on leaving the sac with her.

Update: 4-24-05: I hate to have to update this soon. I pulled the sac today, looks like the female has already abandoned it. I looked in on her this morning, and she was sitting in the water dish, with the sac beside it. I checked on her every so often, and she never moved, nor picked the sac up. When I took it, she completely ignored me and the sac.
I have put it in a hammock incubator, and am turning it approx every 2 hours gently.

Update: 5-14-05: I opened the sac to find for the most part very dried out eggs, similiar to the B vagans sac. There are a very few that look robust, but I think they have just not dried up yet. I am 99.9% sure they were infertile :(

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Successful?
Fingers Crossed. ;)

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers
Female was a couple of months post-molt. Male was freshly molted.

How they were paired
Male placed in female's container (2.5 gallon). Mating was very quick and lasted less than 10 minutes total.

Any observations on the hookup
Female appeared receptive, but was aggressive towards male after mating. Insertions believed to have been seen.

Any special post mating care
Female well-fed.

Time to sac
N/A

Care of the sac
N/A

Time to emerge/hatch
N/A

The final details
Female continues to get larger without being power-fed. Female being cooled off for a few months.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here are the details of the Brachypelma emilia "Mexican Painted Leg" Breeding session.

Species:
Brachypelma emilia "Mexican Painted Leg"
Female: Mine
Male: D. Grimm on loan

Date Bred:
01-30-2008 @ 6:00 PM

Conditions:
76 Degrees F & 50% Ambient Humidity

Species Details:
Female details: Adult 5"
Male details: Adult 5"

Pairing:
Both enclosures were placed next to one another and screen lids were taken off. The male was walking around his enclusre for some time before this and because the lid was off, he proceeded to walk over the sides of his enclosure into hers.

She was near her flower pot hide. The male walked towards the flower pot and found the female which backed into here hide when she sensed him ion the enclusre. He started drumming/twitching. He touched her legs and pushed her up. There were several insertions and she tried to bite him when he was lowering her down. I blocked her attempt to finish him off for dinner and he now lives intact due to my efforts.

Once finished, I took the male out and placed him into his enclosure for future attempts with other females.

Breeding: Successful

Here are some pics for viewing:

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma emilia breeding

Mating: Nov 2008.

Kokon laid: 28th May 2009.

Kokon opened: 26th July 2009. (L2)

First molt: 10th Aug 2009.

Number of sling: 661

There were no bad eggs or died larvals.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XprhA_Q1UVM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XprhA_Q1UVM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]