Brachypelma decision

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
So I am trying to weigh the pros and cons when it comes to owning Emilia's vs Smith's. What would be your opinion based on these things: * Temperament (less skittish)
* Amount of hair flicking
* Handleable type

Other Factors: Do I want a sling or juvies? I have the opportunity in purchasing either but the Emilia is .5" and the Smithi is 3" and also confirmed Female....

Please help me out friends ..... What do you think??

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I got the emilia and adore her to bits -- a gorgeous gal. At the time of purchase -- seller had emilia and smithi so it was a tough choice (adult females cost a couple hundred) but the colours of emilia carried the day. But, I regret not getting the classic smithi. Sorta regret - I mean, emilia is a fave here - I just wanted a classic T also.
My plan is to just eventually get a smithi also.
Temperament wise -- my emilia is fairly laid back, calm. She has a fully haired rump and has certainly never flicked hairs at me. Doesn't appear to have even kicked many around enclosure. Mine would be handleable if I wanted to handle her (I don't). But just saying mine is a charmer. Sort of busy -- she rearranges her enclosure from time to time -- moves her ping pong ball around, sometimes dumps her water dish. But gentle and calm overall towards me (never ever saw a threat posture). YMMV.
Now at feeding time.... she shows she's a true predator. :)

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Both!

If you can just get one, get the juvenile female.
Is there really a difference between male and female besides how long they live?
And if getting the confirmed 3" female, would that mean that it would be less likely to die verses raising a sling!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I would definitly go with an emilia. I have a big 5" female, and she is just gorgeous! Never owned a smithi, but most Brachypelmas are the same. To me, it comes down to looks. A smithi may get bigger, but these T's are amazingly beautiful. Mine has never flung any hairs, but can give me an attitude every once and a while. Also, a juvie is probably the way to go. Brachys grow like molassus, so having a juvie would give you hardiness, boldness, and adult coloration. Great display T as well, never is in it's hide. May be a little more pricey, but it's worth it :D Also, with juvie vs sling, a juvie that is 3"+ will probably live for at least another 10-15 years. Most if not all Brachys live a long time, but a juvie would make it a little more hardy and less fragile ;)

Attachments

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Is there really a difference between male and female besides how long they live?
Not really, but as females easily triple the life expectancy of males it is really no brainer which sex to get unless you want males for pairings
And if getting the confirmed 3" female, would that mean that it would be less likely to die verses raising a sling!
Brachypelmas are really hardy, even as slings. The thing is they grow super slow, and for emilia to get to 2" mark it could take well over 3-4 years. Not to mention it is unsexed, so you might end up with male in the end

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would go with the female B. smithi. These are not only the classic T but a great species to have. Mine is very docile but can be skittish at times. The good thing with the larger starter T is that it will be easier to care for. The female will live much longer than male as well. Once a male becomes matured, it will try to leave it's burrow to find a mate before it dies. The female will just be content to live in its burrow forever.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get both.
I have both as many other keepers on here will have. For me personally the emilia is best for me but that's only because my smithi is a true pet rock with a limited feeding response on the other hand my emilia is actually pretty active and as a great feeding response the freshly moulted version of my girl is simply stunning

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Not really, but as females easily triple the life expectancy of males it is really no brainer which sex to get unless you want males for pairings

Brachypelmas are really hardy, even as slings. The thing is they grow super slow, and for emilia to get to 2" mark it could take well over 3-4 years. Not to mention it is unsexed, so you might end up with male in the end
Yes, that is so true...it would be a throw of the dice!

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
I would go with the female B. smithi. These are not only the classic T but a great species to have. Mine is very docile but can be skittish at times. The good thing with the larger starter T is that it will be easier to care for. The female will live much longer than male as well. Once a male becomes matured, it will try to leave it's burrow to find a mate before it dies. The female will just be content to live in its burrow forever.
Does your smithi flick hairs a lot??

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i def prefer emilia, but a juvi B smithi is too good to pass up. especially since its confirmed female and 5 times bigger than the unsexed emilia.

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine never has flicked hairs. I rarely give my Ts a reason to be defensive though since I only handle them for photoshoots and rehousings etc

clive 82

Arachnoknight
So I am trying to weigh the pros and cons when it comes to owning Emilia's vs Smith's. What would be your opinion based on these things: * Temperament (less skittish)
* Handleable type

Other Factors: Do I want a sling or juvies? I have the opportunity in purchasing either but the Emilia is .5" and the Smithi is 3" and also confirmed Female....

Go with the Smithi. I have a 3 inch smithi, not sure which sex but suspect male. Its really docile, sometimes flicks hair but nothing major. Its always out in the open, it prefers to sit on top of its hide lol! And tends to bulldoze the substrate around the enclosure. I find it has a great feeding response & is easy to work with.
Plus if the one you are looking is female you will have it for years to come!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Get the smithi, Emelia is no doubt prettier, but at that size it's going to be years before you see the colos in full form.

I'll tell you from experience since I started on a brachypelma sling (less than a 1/2") it bored me to death, their slow growth rate and constant pre-molt fasting will bore you as a beginner keeper. You will get more satisfaction with juvenile-adult specimens. Save the slings until you have a couple larger specimens for you the appreciate while they grow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
* Handleable type

I own both of these species, both AFs.

W/Brachy genus it's a total crap shoot if your T will flick or not, and which one will do so more than the other. However, generally speaking most to least flicky:

Boehmei>Emilia>Smithi>Albo

All the above can be applied to temperament too.

I own AFs of all four species above, they all flick.

My emilia is very "curious" and often appears she is ready to take off your finger, my boehmei your hand, my smithi, she's rather oblivious, but will flick too. My albo is the only one that will raise her leg to give me a warning that she will flick at times. The rest just do it. It's not pleasant at all for my biochemistry.

W/that said, if all you want is a Brachy, do yourself a favor and get just one to save on space for future Ts or other exotics. One Brachy is not much different than the next in terms of activity. All of mine move at the same glacial pace, and all grow at the same glacial rate.

As for handling, not recommended. If you want your T to die, then handling is a great to end up with a dead T. Get a hamster if you want a pet that you can handle.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Boehmei>Emilia>Smithi>Albo
I second this. My boehmeis (3.2) are by far my most flick happy T's. One disturbance and they are flutter kicking for 5+seconds straight at least. And my albos (2.2) have all never flicked.

I would put vagans tied with albos. My little guy never flicks but I only have one of them so take that info with a grain of salt