Brachypelma Boehmei Sling Enclosure

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Should be getting my first B. boehmei sling sometime this week. I was just wanting to get some of the experienced sling keepers opinions on the enclosure. It's about 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches with 3 inches of substrate. The sling is suppose to be .5 inches. Thanks!
IMG_5767[1].JPG IMG_5769[1].JPG IMG_5768[1].JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
looks fine but way to big, dont you have any small deli cups or vials lying around?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
looks fine but way to big, dont you have any small deli cups or vials lying around?
Not atm, I had that so I figured I'd try it. I know it's alot bigger than it should be, and there's also probably way too much substrate. Would it still work as long as I make sure the sling finds it's food or should I go pick up something else? Thanks for the quick reply!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not atm, I had that so I figured I'd try it. I know it's alot bigger than it should be, and there's also probably way too much substrate. Would it still work as long as I make sure the sling finds it's food or should I go pick up something else? Thanks for the quick reply!
As long as the sling can find it's food then it's fine. Just make sure the ventilation holes aren't big enough for the sling to escape through. Too much substrate is better than too little when it comes to terrestrials, and (Correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure Boehmei's burrow as slings anyways. I've put 1/2 inch slings in 16oz deli containers and they're all been fine. Only inconvienience is trying to find them.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
As long as the sling can find it's food then it's fine. Just make sure the ventilation holes aren't big enough for the sling to escape through. Too much substrate is better than too little when it comes to terrestrials, and (Correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure Boehmei's burrow as slings anyways. I've put 1/2 inch slings in 16oz deli containers and they're all been fine. Only inconvienience is trying to find them.
Thanks! and ya I do believe they burrow too. I read on another thread on here they tend to burrow even more in a larger space, and that you'll rarely see them. But that's totally fine as long as the sling stays healthy which is what I was wanting to make sure of.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't tell width of hide, but it looks quite wide. Some Ts will make the entrance more narrow on their own by forming tunnels with the sub (N. incei), others won't and may scurry in and burrow under it. I like to provide a hide that is close to the size of the T yet allowing for room to molt/eat as well.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I can't tell width of hide, but it looks quite wide. Some Ts will make the entrance more narrow on their own by forming tunnels with the sub (N. incei), others won't and may scurry in and burrow under it. I like to provide a hide that is close to the size of the T yet allowing for room to molt/eat as well.
It's actually quite small, only about 3/4 of an inch wide. They're little clay pots from the hobby lobby for arts and crafts. Pretty good quality, as you probably noticed, they look identical to the larger ones lol.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Really appreciate all the quick replies too. I've been lurking around on here for a few months doing research, but this is the first time I've posted. You guys are quick and helpful.:happy:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
it'll work for sure, just make sure on vent hole size. Ts can escape through openings the size of their carapace.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
it'll work for sure, just make sure on vent hole size. Ts can escape through openings the size of their carapace.
I used a thumbtack to make the holes so I should be good, but I'll double check once I get the sling. Thanks for the help!

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Welp I must admit, I SEVERELY underestimated the size of a half inch sling lol. It was re-homed about 5 minutes after being in the first enclosure. This ones about 1/6th the size lol. While the first container could have worked, it took about 30 seconds for the sling to disappear into the sphagnum moss.